Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JackPearson2

@verizon.net

Phone# w/my FIOS said "No such number" for school emer

My son had an emergency at school.

The nurse called our home number.

When they called it said the number isn't in service & my phone never rang.

It's the only number that has never worked.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Obviously, not being able to get emergency calls from my son's school is a MAJOR issue for me.

I have the phone service that comes with the FIOS Triple Play.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

Re: Phone# w/my FIOS said "No such number" for school

Did your inbound service ever work, since you had it installed? (how long since installed)? --Or, did this work-then-break? Also, was their a change recently to your phone service?

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

And the other obvious question, did the nurse try more than once, perhaps he/she dialed the wrong number?

JackPearson2

@verizon.net

The phone has worked for over a year with no problems.

They tried calling from the school with 2 different numbers.

They used the area code, didn't use the area code, tried a 1 before the area code.

Then *I* went over to the school & tried it.

Exact same issue.

It's the only time I've ever heard of that problem with my phone number.

Has anyone had that problem? If so, what have you done to fix it?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

Who is the school's phone carrier?

If the school is not on VZ, it could be an issue with the interconnect from whatever carrier they use.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JackPearson2

Plug your tel. no into this site:

»tnid.us/

If you get a valid response then you are provisioned and the school's service provider has a routing error. The trouble report has to be lodged by the caller to the service provider.

JackPearson2

@verizon.net

said by lijacobs:

If you get a valid response then you are provisioned and the school's service provider has a routing error.

what does "provisioned" mean?

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL
reply to JackPearson2

School Systems have problems too - I work in Technology Services for one. One entire Elementary lost phone service.

In fact in a separate but related problem just before Christmas break all our phones went out.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

1 edit
reply to lijacobs

said by lijacobs:

Plug your tel. no into this site:

»tnid.us/

If you get a valid response then you are provisioned and the school's service provider has a routing error. The trouble report has to be lodged by the caller to the service provider.

I ported my number almost 2 months ago. It is still showing the cable company I ported from. Not sure what this means with regards to call routing issues anyway.

I personally would call Verizon and open a ticket. Tell them time of the calls failed and as much details (like what phone company the school uses). The school should do the same.

I have no idea how responsive Verizon FIOS will be. Some carriers are great about looking into this stuff. Also call routes change every x hours anyway so tomorrow it might just work.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to JackPearson2

Have to see who the school uses for their phone service & that provider has to be contacted about the issue, as it's not on the OPs end. I've dealt with this with Lightpath at work when we can't call a client's phone number on another provider, usually resolved in a few hours, after I placed the service call.

In any event, I recommend the OP have the school contact a cell phone first until the issue is rectified to be safe.

lijacobs

Lawrence, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JackPearson2

said by JackPearson2 :

what does "provisioned" mean?

It means that VZ has "set up" your service and that the "network" can find your tel. no.

Can you ring your phone by calling it from your cell phone?

Dave27

@comcast.net

I had a similar issue with our new Comcast home phone # a few months ago. The inlaws couldn't call us from their landline but their cell phones and other landlines could call us just fine.

I opened a request with Comcast. It took them a few days but they were find something wrong on their side and fix it.

Give Verizon a call and provide the details as previous poster suggested.

mig288
Premium
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JackPearson2

Open a ticket with Verizon FIOS. They will check to see if the call ever hit the network. If it didn't, they may call the schools provider or have you or someone at the school request to open a ticket with their provider or perhaps it is a PBX issue at the school.

I work in the telecommunications business and understand the nature of these issues. The routes don't change every x hours.

When you port your number, you phone number is assigned a local routing number "LRN" to have calls routed to the new provider "FIOS". If the school's PBX or phone system is routing to the number rather than the LRN, that is where the problem is. Should be a simple correction on their part.

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Also, keep in mind that when calls are being routed, carriers hand calls off.

high level - schools pbx --> long distance (verizon business) or local call --> local tandem (Verizon or At&t) --> central office or switch --> to your line at home.

or

schools pbx --> long distance or local call --> direct connect to the central office --> to your line at home.

The call can fail at any one of these points. FIOS the local tandem and the schools pbx admin or phone carrier will need to set up traces to see the point of failure.

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
reply to lijacobs

Just an FYI., this website is specifically used for caller ID. This wouldn't indicate if your phone number is provisioned properly.

jcondon

Fishkill, NY
reply to mig288

said by mig288 See Profile
I work in the telecommunications business and understand the nature of these issues. The routes don't change every x hours.

So Paetec/Windstream is lying when they tell me that? Interesting.

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY

Only way for a route to change is a LERG Update or porting request. If not Switches don't get updated like Ever.... Could there have been a mistype somewhere in the School Provider's system, sure.

lijacobs

Lawrence, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mig288

said by mig288:

Just an FYI., this website is specifically used for caller ID. This wouldn't indicate if your phone number is provisioned properly.

There is no such thing a 100% certainty, but if the site does an SS7 dip and finds the DN then there's a 99.9% chance that the line is provisioned.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to jcondon

said by jcondon8 :

So Paetec/Windstream is lying when they tell me that? Interesting.

Speaking from LONG-term DIRECT experience with Paetec, their phone network is a disaster. At $DAYJOB we've been stuck in a long multi-year contract established by our prdecessors, and it's become a routine way of life opening tickets for call-completion errors. We can't reach others. Others can't reach us. Every time Paetec has to "adjust the routing" (their term) to make it work.

We have voice PRIs from Paetec/Windstream all over the region, and it's been a never-ending battle of one-off "fixes". It's been so bad that we (the I.T. department) have vowed to have an official departmental lunch at our favorite local restaurant to celebrate the day we disconnect our last Paetec PRI after the contract has reached the end of its term.

It's been a total disaster working with Paetec.

jcondon

Fishkill, NY

said by rebus9:

It's been a total disaster working with Paetec.

Interesting we only have 1 PRI with them still. We used to have a PRI in our NY office but switched out to Lightpath 3 years ago.

We recently had call compleation issues from Chicago to NY but normally do not have that many issues with them. Granted we only have/had 2 lines in 2 location.

In NY we have a secondary PRI from another small VOIP provider so I can route calls that way out of NY to get around issues like this. But in Chicago we have metered POTS lines as back up so that gets expensive fast. They can also call over the VPN but well there is no QOS there.

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pher9999

said by Pher9999:

Only way for a route to change is a LERG Update or porting request. If not Switches don't get updated like Ever.... Could there have been a mistype somewhere in the School Provider's system, sure.

This is correct, when an update to the LERG is made then we will see updates made. For instance, say the NY metro area added a new NPA-NXX, the LERG will require all providers to update their switches to route accordingly. Of course you will find one or two telecoms that either didn't update their switch or put in the update but made a mistake somehow.

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to lijacobs

said by lijacobs:

said by mig288:

There is no such thing a 100% certainty, but if the site does an SS7 dip and finds the DN then there's a 99.9% chance that the line is provisioned.

I see many instances where a block of numbers are exchanged between providers and mistakenly give a few subscribers numbers with it. i.e. John has at&t and his number fall in this line range - 555-220-xxxx. Then the company exchanges that entire line range to sprint. Now John can't receive any calls and is putting in a trouble ticket.

When someone does a query into the NPAC database, we see the number now belongs to sprint. This typically doesn't happen on a large scale, but it happens.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to JackPearson2

Careful: tnid.us shows you the 'original' carrier. I'm with Vonage at the moment, and it indicates original carrier was Verzon (which it was, but its not now...) Same thing with my mother's number; she's with Cavalier Telephone, and 'original carrier' is Verizon.