join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

Is "tin foil" now a banned phrase in this forum?

I have noticed that lately any time the phrase "tin foil" appears in a post, even if it seems to just be a lighthearted friendly jab with no real malice intended, that post and any follow ups seem to disappear rather quickly.

I know that in some forums some words and phrases and topics are verboten (or must be relegated to some specific "sticky" thread). Is "tin foil" now a verboten phrase in this forum?

I do understand that there is a policy on this site that does not permit discussion of "moderation", but how is one to know what the verboten words, phrases, and/or topics are if they can not be discussed? Perhaps the site management could put together a FAQ with all of the verboten words, phrases, and topics? Or, if there is already such a published list, could someone provide me with the URL?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO

Premium Member

May be because the loose translation of "tin foil" reference is - a "person, who cares about security"?

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

2 recommendations

Lagz to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
I bet someone marked it as trolling. In all honestly, yesterdays "tin foil" is today's reality.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Lagz:

I bet someone marked it as trolling. In all honestly, yesterdays "tin foil" is today's reality.

Maybe so, but that would be a lot of "hey mods" being done for that phrase. I did a search of this forum before starting this thread, and the newest post I could find was dated December 22nd 2012. Besides the posts that I witnessed being deleted, I can't believe that phrase had not been used in this forum for that long a period.

But since this thread is still here, perhaps it is/was the individual posters whose posts were deleted, and the phrase "tin foil" was just a coincidence.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

2 recommendations

StuartMW to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
Well IMO it depends on ones definition of tinhoil hatter.

To me it refers to someone that entertains conspiracy theories in the absence of any evidence. Others take it mean anyone that has a theory or belief without "hard" (printed documents, spoken admissions etc) evidence.

For example if I say "the Martians are invading tomorrow" to me that's tinfoil hat-ism. On the other hand if I say "the NSA is monitoring the internet" that's not because there is evidence (ex-employees statements etc) that it occurs.

Which camp ones falls into depends on their Epistemology (theory of knowledge).
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

I did a search of this forum before starting this thread, and the newest post I could find was dated December 22nd 2012. Besides the posts that I witnessed being deleted, I can't believe that phrase had not been used in this forum for that long a period.

I have not noticed that. But I did not made any research either, as I don't use that term. It's because I think it's used by those, who want to label other people as "paranoid" (or similar derogatory terms) without any reasonable prove offered. Just like this - "you're a tin foil hat" and that's it. And now it's your turn to prove that you're not...

Some folks (for many different reasons, monetary included) pursue an agenda to convince others, that thinking about their own security is bad. Everyone should just continue to repeat the slogan - "I have nothing to hide" or be ashamed (or even scared), if he dears to think otherwise...

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by OZO:

And now it's your turn to prove that you're not...

It's a method to (try and) reduce/prohibit discussion. Another example is "that's racist" or "you're a racist".

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

It's because I think it's used by those, who want to label other people as "paranoid" (or similar derogatory terms) without any reasonable prove offered. Just like this - "you're a tin foil hat" and that's it. And now it's your turn to prove that you're not...

That did not appear to be the case in the posts that I recently saw being obliterated (and served as a catalyst to start this thread). However, some people are more thin skinned than others. Personally, I wear my aluminum foil hat with pride (some cheap tin foil can contain lead, so my "green" alter ego doesn't let me wear tin foil).

However, as I said in another reply in this thread, the fact that this thread is still here does indirectly answer my specific question. I am not a permanent resident of this forum, just an occasional visitor, and I thought perhaps I had missed some official announcement.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

...I wear my aluminum foil hat with pride...

Aluminum doesn't work that well

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets

Go for copper/silver instead.

»www.lessemf.com/personal.html

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

said by NetFixer:

That first study does not take into account a properly grounded aluminum foil shield. As for copper or silver, they both corrode too easily in some environments, and require too much maintenance and/or frequent replacement (not to mention the green or black stain left on your head in such corrosive environments)

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

That first study does not take into account a properly grounded aluminum foil shield.

True. Any EE would know that.

That said many consider wearing a tin-foil hat and being grounded to be mutually exclusive

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
But copper will turn green, which could be kind of pretty. Silver will turn black, so you can be a black foil hat or something like that.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Lagz

to Lagz

Yes indeed it is,A VERY SCARY WORLD NOW!!!!

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to NetFixer

to NetFixer

Re: Is "tin foil" now a banned phrase in this forum?

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· monkey-a

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

1 recommendation

Phoenix22

Premium Member

that search about does it...why docha just im wcb and ask

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by NetFixer:

To be truly effective, a tinfoil hat must be made from a thin sheet of mu-metal, which is magnetically permeable as well as a metallic conductor. Otherwise, magnetic fields will largely pass right through. Since we're usually dealing with electro-magnetic waves, attenuating both electric (with a grounded metallic shield) and magnetic (with magnetically permeable material) fields is the most effective approach. Mu-metal is what they used to wrap around CRT display tubes to reduce the distortion effects of external magnetic fields on the deflecting electron beam painting the phosphor on the inner surface of the screen.
jeanmarc
join:2013-01-03
NY

1 recommendation

jeanmarc to NetFixer

to NetFixer
There once was a man from Ouray

With great certainty we can say

He came from down-under

Into this forum he did blunder

Whilst wearing a tin foil hat
Expand your moderator at work

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to jeanmarc

Mod

to jeanmarc

I think the verdict is in.

This thread has not been deleted, in spite of much mention of tin foil.

AOD
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
M9B

AOD

Premium Member

said by nwrickert:

I think the verdict is in.

This thread has not been deleted, in spite of much mention of tin foil.

+1

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
Obligatory pic....

Cat in the Tinfoil Hat FTW!

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

said by StuartMW:

said by NetFixer:

To be truly effective, a tinfoil hat must be made from a thin sheet of mu-metal, which is magnetically permeable as well as a metallic conductor. Otherwise, magnetic fields will largely pass right through. Since we're usually dealing with electro-magnetic waves, attenuating both electric (with a grounded metallic shield) and magnetic (with magnetically permeable material) fields is the most effective approach. Mu-metal is what they used to wrap around CRT display tubes to reduce the distortion effects of external magnetic fields on the deflecting electron beam painting the phosphor on the inner surface of the screen.

Aluminum Tin foil hats may actually increase rather than decrease the reception of signals.

»berkeley.intel-research. ··· /helmet/

The helmets amplify frequency bands that coincide with those allocated to the US government between 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. According to the FCC, These bands are supposedly reserved for ''radio location'' (ie, GPS), and other communications with satellites (see, for example, [3]). The 2.6 Ghz band coincides with mobile phone technology. Though not affiliated by government, these bands are at the hands of multinational corporations.

It requires no stretch of the imagination to conclude that the current helmet craze is likely to have been propagated by the Government, possibly with the involvement of the FCC. We hope this report will encourage the paranoid community to develop improved helmet designs to avoid falling prey to these shortcomings.

Expand your moderator at work

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

2 recommendations

Cheese to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

Or, the mods are just, over zealous? That's my take on it.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to caffeinator

to caffeinator
said by caffeinator:

Obligatory pic....

[att=1]

[att=2]

I prefer 'One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish Cause Cancer' myself.

Dave

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

4 recommendations

beck to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
I remember some posts that I thought were mean toward another in this forum. Some of them had the reference to tin foil hats too. I never paid attention as to if they were deleted or not.

But now, I guess I'm glad if they were. I for one, am tired of threads that COULD have something worthwhile in them, just not being read because people think they can put someone else down. Discussion is a good thing. But picking on people because you are one of the "good old boys" stinks.

You all have missed many of my pearls of wisdom. Believe it or not, that's actually sad for you.

So, that is my say on it.

bitemeboy
join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

2 recommendations

bitemeboy

There once was a forum called "security".

Its members had dropped into obscurity.

A rallying cry of "Tin foil hat".

The moderator said "I'll second that".

And their future is now a surety.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to caffeinator

Premium Member

to caffeinator
said by caffeinator:

Actually, that's a Jedi training picture from "Yoda, the Early Years". The hair fell out as he aged.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

That did not appear to be the case in the posts that I recently saw being obliterated (and served as a catalyst to start this thread). However, some people are more thin skinned than others.

Which threads?
Moderation occurs usually with "hey mods" (from all sources) or moderated by MOD's personally.
I find it a bit confusing returning to a thread the has been moderated and having to guess why the moderation has occurred.
If it was just to because somebody cried "TINFOIL HAT", i guess it's no big loss.
Rewriting the post with an actual claim might not of occurred to some?
said by jeanmarc:

Into this forum he did blunder
Whilst wearing a tin foil hat

Perceived blunders= equal the use of Foil.
I personally wouldn't want to wear a "Tinfoil hat" How would you know what the aliens are planning next.