share rss forum feed

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to alkizmo

Re: Sump pit cover - To seal with my subfloor

Go to a good sheet metal shop and have some custom pieces made to protect and reinforce the edges. They can usually work in most metals so some choices would be galvanized, stainless and copper. Take a good drawing and accurate measurements. Probably want minimum of 24 gauge but maybe thicker. At a good shop, they can help you with design with the best way to achieve what you are wanting.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
said by garys_2k:

I think he just wants to seal the raw edges, but allow water that finds itself under his floor to be able to flow to the sump. Also, presumably, water ON the floor should be able to flow through the slots and into the sump, too.

Yes, seal the raw edges.
A PT would trim could work, that's another idea to contemplate.

said by robbin:

Go to a good sheet metal shop and have some custom pieces made to protect and reinforce the edges.

Here everything custom is exceedingly expensive.
The edges don't need reinforcing anyway, so the PT wood is a simpler material if I make a trim. Thanks though.

Overall, the idea of a trim/frame is pretty good. I'd cut a bigger sized hole to accomodate the extra width added by the trim of whatever material I end up using. The final floor can still extend over that trim so it's not visible.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
Check with a sheet metal shop before ruling it out. Everything they do is basically custom.