Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FF4m3

Re: Court Rules Texas Schoolgirl Must Be RFID Tagged Or Expelled

What are the "religious" grounds for not wearing an RFID tag? Sure, I can sympathize with not wanting to be tagged, but the religious argument sounds particularly specious. Oh, I see: the "'number of the beast" batshit idiocy.

What are the "privacy" grounds for not wearing a non-RFID lanyard? That sounds to me like the school was willing to compromise with her laughable "religious" nonsense, but Hernandez was not willing.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Yes this is BS....... I hope she continues to refuse to wear this spying trash!!

Why? So the school knows she's where she belongs instead of out in the parking lot smoking or something? Heaven forbid!!!

And how is it "spying" on her? Does it film her when she goes home or when she goes to the bathroom?

She's in a PUBLIC school. Their property, their rules. Don't like it, go to a private school or be home schooled.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to huntermcdole

said by huntermcdole:

Yeah we didn't have that for school when I was in HS (late 90's) but I completely forgot about the one around my neck at work everyday... you get use to it.. mine even has an RFID chip in it

The funny thing was only the "nerds" used the clips, the cool kids used lanyards.

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to La Luna

Re:  

i bet it does spy on her remember that high school principle who used the schools laptops woth cams to spy on students btw are all the scools in texas doin this i need to know so we can sue the schools here

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
Reviews:
·Millenicom

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

This stuff is on the news over here and heres a few facts....

She is not really suppose to be at this school. The school is doing a trial of RFID tags, not the entire district. The school that she is suppose to be at doesnt do tracking. I believe she wants to go to this school for other reasons. The school district said she could JUST WEAR A ID, NO RFID INVOVLED but she said nope, its "the mark of the beast"........

The school is giving her a week to wear the ID WITHOUT rfid or go back to her homeschool where she SHOULD be attending that isnt even doing the rfid trial

Remember these are kids that should be in school. the only reason they are testing this out is because they were losing state funding from kids skipping class. Since the RFID tags, students arent skipping school that much.

In other news the school is trying to recoup court fees from her since this fiasco she started is costing the tax payers and also costing her education.

she had her 15 minutes of fame. she needs to suck it up, wear the ID without rfid or go back to her home school in the district where she belongs in the first place.
--
»mc-buildville.enjin.com/

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX

Also the title is misleading, SHE DOESNT HAVE TO WEAR THE RFID TAG, it is optional.
--

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
reply to FF4m3

I don't suppose having the last name of Hernandez in a Magnet School for Technology and Sciences in Texas would have anything to do with it?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jay_S···_Academy

Nah, of course not....
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX

Not with hispanics becoming the majority here.
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to FF4m3

What happens when all the schools in the district opt for RFID - will she be denied the right to go to school? Will the school board be sued for denying her the right to attend school in that case?

I'm sure there's a law that requires minors to either attend school or be home-schooled, unless there is a medical reason why they can't be.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

reply to Warzau

said by Warzau:

said by huntermcdole:

Yeah we didn't have that for school when I was in HS (late 90's) but I completely forgot about the one around my neck at work everyday... you get use to it.. mine even has an RFID chip in it

The funny thing was only the "nerds" used the clips, the cool kids used lanyards.

I think somebody ought to sell a RFID pocket protector or a RFID slide rule case, for the real nerds.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to MaynardKrebs

Someone needs to tell her about her SSN (which is unique), drivers license (the number is also unique) etc. Im pretty sure those might be "the mark of the beast"

shes totally gona flip out when she finds out!
--

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

License plates on cars: Beware the mark of the beast! ;p

Oh that is perfect!

Thank you.

Made my day.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dave

said by dave:

What are the "religious" grounds for not wearing an RFID tag? Sure, I can sympathize with not wanting to be tagged, but the religious argument sounds particularly specious. Oh, I see: the "'number of the beast" batshit idiocy.

What are the "privacy" grounds for not wearing a non-RFID lanyard? That sounds to me like the school was willing to compromise with her laughable "religious" nonsense, but Hernandez was not willing.

Batshit idiocy nails it.

I guess one delusion spawns another.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state

3 recommendations

reply to dave

said by dave:

Dave, is it really necessary to insult someones religious beliefs over them not wanting to wear an RFID tag? Look, I don't know what your religious beliefs are, and to be frank i don't care as its not part of this conversation. However, why ridicule someone's beliefs (this girl) as "batshit idiocy"? What has she done to you? what has she done to deserve such a statement? Her beliefs are not hurting anyone.

Are we not a country that was founded on the universal right to believe in any deity of your choice, and to practice any religion of your choice as long as they are not hurting anybody?

I don't believe bat shit idiocy was such a great word to use here. Schools are government funded, The Constitution states that the government "is not" allowed to interfere or infringe on anyones religious beliefs regardless of what someone thinks of them.

From the typical Christian next door, to the Church of Scientology...all have an equal right to not have their religious beliefs infringed upon by government organizations (which is what a school is, its funded by taxpayer money and that makes it a government institution, and is controlled by the Department of Education)

I am not trying to come across in any type of condescending manner. However, I think all of us(myself included) could learn a lot by just respecting each others rights and ideas, no matter how much we may disagree with them. I don't believe labeling anyone as crazy, or any other derogatory term in relation to their ideas or beliefs is productive at all. The term crazy and "tin foil" gets tossed around way too loosely these days and is used in situations it shouldn't be.

Patrick Henry said it best:

"I may not agree with a word you, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

said by Woody79_00:

Dave, is it really necessary to insult someones religious beliefs over them not wanting to wear an RFID tag?

Yes, it's a specious argument.

However, why ridicule someone's beliefs (this girl) as "batshit idiocy"?

Because number-of-the-beast talk is batshit idiocy.

Are we not a country that was founded on the universal right to believe in any deity of your choice, and to practice any religion of your choice as long as they are not hurting anybody?

Indeed, but that places no requirement on me to refrain from describing batshit idiocy as batshit idiocy. She can say in public what she wants to say. As can I. She may find my opinion offensive, but I find her superstitions to be laughable.

We're not talking about common-or-garden belief in some god, we're talking about a lunatic belief that says a simple identification badge is somehow the mark of the antichrist.

I don't think most christians would agree that a government-issued identification is inherently evil. Her opinions are fringe at best. At some point, we should not need to make accommodation for them.

Note that in fact she was offered a compromise on the RFID chip. But no, the lanyard alone was the mark of the beast. Batshit.

"I may not agree with a word you, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I'm not saying she has no right to say it. I'm just saying that I think the school system went quite far enough in accommodating her.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Lots of companies require the ID to be visible when not in your cube as well.

When I was working for several customers, I had a small collection of proximity and mag stripe cards and ID badges I needed to get access to elevators, tunnels, data centers, equipment closets and other restricted areas.

The used to issue them pretty freely, but I suspect that's not the case today..
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

3 recommendations

reply to dave

said by dave:

said by Woody79_00:

However, why ridicule someone's beliefs (this girl) as "batshit idiocy"?

Because number-of-the-beast talk is batshit idiocy.
We're not talking about common-or-garden belief in some god, we're talking about a lunatic belief that says a simple identification badge is somehow the mark of the antichrist.
But no, the lanyard alone was the mark of the beast. Batshit.

As far as I know, every Christian Bible contains the following:
quote:
He (AntiChrist) also forced everyone, small and great ... to receive a mark... which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666. ... (Revelation 13:16-17 extracted - NIV)
Calling someone's understanding (or misunderstanding) of part of the Scriptures that are held in highest regard by one of the large religions on the planet as "batshit idiocy" or "lunatic" itself comes dangerously close to bigotry (one intolerantly devoted to his own opinion, church, or party). If one is a Christian, they may often differ with others on what exactly that passage means or how literally it is to be taken, but if they identify themselves as "Christian", they are obliged to believe the passage does contain truth. In any event, why the need for derogatory and insulting terminology to describe somebody else's sincerely-held religious beliefs? I don't happen to agree with the girl's interpretation of this ID badge (or the lanyard) as 'marks of the beast' per Scripture, but isn't it sufficient to simply state that? If discourse cannot remain respectful, is it any wonder that violence breaks out so commonly these days?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to Duramax08

said by Duramax08:

Remember these are kids that should be in school. the only reason they are testing this out is because they were losing state funding from kids skipping class. Since the RFID tags, students arent skipping school that much.

I imagine that students are skipping just as much, if not more, except now a missing body isn't being noted by a teacher, but rather a badge that isn't necessarily attached to the body it is assigned to.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to Blackbird

Well said Blackbird!

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX
reply to Xioden

im pretty sure they are taking attendance the ol fashion way...
--

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Blackbird

Let's break it down:

- A government-issued id is the 'mark of the beast'
- He that issued the id ('forced everyone to receive a mark') is the antichrist
- Therefore 'the government' is the antichrist
- Therefore 'the government' is a figure of concentrated evil

That seems awfully like sedition. As well as crazy.

What is batshit crazy here is not the belief in the antichrist, mark of the beast, etc., but the nonsense that the government is a representative of the antichrist and that an official identification is the mark of the beast.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Woody79_00

Any chance we can return to the subject and skip the religious lectures? Or are we done here?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to dave

said by dave:

Let's break it down:
- A government-issued id is the 'mark of the beast'
- He that issued the id ('forced everyone to receive a mark') is the antichrist
- Therefore 'the government' is the antichrist
- Therefore 'the government' is a figure of concentrated evil
That seems awfully like sedition. As well as crazy.

What is batshit crazy here is not the belief in the antichrist, mark of the beast, etc., but the nonsense that the government is a representative of the antichrist and that an official identification is the mark of the beast.

Assuming that were an accurate breakdown, it would still leave it as only an analysis of a person's Scripture interpretation associated with a resulting belief. Sedition is the causing of insurrection or forceful resistance against a government, and I don't see where the girl did any more than refuse to wear the ID or lanyard, and when compelled, sought relief from a court.

With regards to the "nonsense" of a government's possibly being representative of the AntiChrist, most folks who place credence in the eventual appearance of an AntiChrist largely agree that his power will be expressed through forceful governance of some kind, hence the ability to compel people to receive his mark. So the question then devolves down to whether this government at this point in time is representing such a creature. While I disagree that to be the case in this situation, the concept in principle is not so 'nonsensical' to those who believe it will come to pass some day at some time. Hence, the girl's belief is not so nonsensical as it might seem... only misplaced in time and place and method, IMO.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to Duramax08

said by Duramax08:

im pretty sure they are taking attendance the ol fashion way...

The entire reason they claim they are using it in the first place is for attendance tracking.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to FF4m3

Guys. This thread is not about particular religion and its symbolism. It's not about antichrist or mark-of-the-beast, which BTW, is in every barcode marked every merchandise to sell... and no one cares about it. It's about tagging people in order to watch and control them. What is important to notice here, the tagging is supposed to be done with government funding (read, on taxpayers money)... And IMHO, that is much more serious issue, than symbolism in a particular religion.

Some control freaks want us to believe that society should accepts this kind of treatment as a routine. And they want to start it with children, as it's easy to do with them and they're ready to accept the new role of Bib Brother in modern society as an established status quo...

Control freaks think that tagging could help to increase attendance... Yeah, right. It's like installing hidden cameras in children private rooms could increase leaning scores. They don't want to find out and see the real cause of kids, trying to avoid schools. All they want is an immediate solution, which they think the tagging of kids is. Some of them may be ready to allow to RFIDs their own kids like own pets right now. Some of them are installing tracking devices to watch their children 24/7...

But, I guess, the discussion is not about them. It's about us (even not about our children, they will be "us" pretty soon). Do we, as a modern society, want to be tagged and, as a result, permanently watched by Big Brother (which is supposed to be done on our taxpayers money) or not? That's the question that we need to answer.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX
Reviews:
·Millenicom

I believe this is why they are trying out the RFID tags.....

»www.ksat.com/news/Dozens-of-stud···dex.html

"SAN ANTONIO -
Residents of a neighborhood near John Jay High School said they've been terrorized a few times a week for years by the students who go there.

Video sent to KSAT shows dozens of students gathering in the road near Marbach and Woodgate, many of the meetings end in fights.

Neighbors said it happens at least twice a week, often times stealing things, damaging property, even assaulting people who try and drive through the crowd.

I feel like a prisoner in my home, said one woman, who wont let her young children out of the house.

In one video, one police car shows up, and the crowd disperses only after an officer shoots pepper spray into the air.

Theyve done that before though and the kids always come back, said a neighbor.

Northside Independent School District said it has suspended a few of the kids in the video, but beyond that, there isnt much they can do because the incidents happen off school property."
--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by Duramax08:

...Northside Independent School District said it has suspended a few of the kids in the video, but beyond that, there isnt much they can do because the incidents happen off school property."

So how would the school's RFID tag provide any help with these incidents if the kids are off school property at the time (and likely well beyond the range of any in-school tracking gear)?
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Woody79_00

Plus 1.

JoeWW

@comcast.net
reply to signmeuptoo

Well, actually, there's no legitimate reason to systematically run ALL plates like *ahem* some places. You rob a bank in a big black van with well-worn paint, they just stop all black vans and scan your VIN/DL. But that's not convenient enough so we compromise our privacy and require well-lit plates with nice little invisible barcodes. It's come to bite us in the rear in places that do fishing expeditions and 'congestion charges'.

JoeWW

@comcast.net
reply to nonymous

You mean the school that you're forced to attend?