Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

2 recommendations

Lagz to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

Re: Is "tin foil" now a banned phrase in this forum?

I bet someone marked it as trolling. In all honestly, yesterdays "tin foil" is today's reality.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Lagz:

I bet someone marked it as trolling. In all honestly, yesterdays "tin foil" is today's reality.

Maybe so, but that would be a lot of "hey mods" being done for that phrase. I did a search of this forum before starting this thread, and the newest post I could find was dated December 22nd 2012. Besides the posts that I witnessed being deleted, I can't believe that phrase had not been used in this forum for that long a period.

But since this thread is still here, perhaps it is/was the individual posters whose posts were deleted, and the phrase "tin foil" was just a coincidence.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

I did a search of this forum before starting this thread, and the newest post I could find was dated December 22nd 2012. Besides the posts that I witnessed being deleted, I can't believe that phrase had not been used in this forum for that long a period.

I have not noticed that. But I did not made any research either, as I don't use that term. It's because I think it's used by those, who want to label other people as "paranoid" (or similar derogatory terms) without any reasonable prove offered. Just like this - "you're a tin foil hat" and that's it. And now it's your turn to prove that you're not...

Some folks (for many different reasons, monetary included) pursue an agenda to convince others, that thinking about their own security is bad. Everyone should just continue to repeat the slogan - "I have nothing to hide" or be ashamed (or even scared), if he dears to think otherwise...

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by OZO:

And now it's your turn to prove that you're not...

It's a method to (try and) reduce/prohibit discussion. Another example is "that's racist" or "you're a racist".

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

It's because I think it's used by those, who want to label other people as "paranoid" (or similar derogatory terms) without any reasonable prove offered. Just like this - "you're a tin foil hat" and that's it. And now it's your turn to prove that you're not...

That did not appear to be the case in the posts that I recently saw being obliterated (and served as a catalyst to start this thread). However, some people are more thin skinned than others. Personally, I wear my aluminum foil hat with pride (some cheap tin foil can contain lead, so my "green" alter ego doesn't let me wear tin foil).

However, as I said in another reply in this thread, the fact that this thread is still here does indirectly answer my specific question. I am not a permanent resident of this forum, just an occasional visitor, and I thought perhaps I had missed some official announcement.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

...I wear my aluminum foil hat with pride...

Aluminum doesn't work that well

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets

Go for copper/silver instead.

»www.lessemf.com/personal.html

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

said by NetFixer:

That first study does not take into account a properly grounded aluminum foil shield. As for copper or silver, they both corrode too easily in some environments, and require too much maintenance and/or frequent replacement (not to mention the green or black stain left on your head in such corrosive environments)

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

That first study does not take into account a properly grounded aluminum foil shield.

True. Any EE would know that.

That said many consider wearing a tin-foil hat and being grounded to be mutually exclusive

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
But copper will turn green, which could be kind of pretty. Silver will turn black, so you can be a black foil hat or something like that.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Lagz

to Lagz

Yes indeed it is,A VERY SCARY WORLD NOW!!!!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Is "tin foil" now a banned phrase in this forum?

said by StuartMW:

said by NetFixer:

To be truly effective, a tinfoil hat must be made from a thin sheet of mu-metal, which is magnetically permeable as well as a metallic conductor. Otherwise, magnetic fields will largely pass right through. Since we're usually dealing with electro-magnetic waves, attenuating both electric (with a grounded metallic shield) and magnetic (with magnetically permeable material) fields is the most effective approach. Mu-metal is what they used to wrap around CRT display tubes to reduce the distortion effects of external magnetic fields on the deflecting electron beam painting the phosphor on the inner surface of the screen.

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

said by StuartMW:

said by NetFixer:

To be truly effective, a tinfoil hat must be made from a thin sheet of mu-metal, which is magnetically permeable as well as a metallic conductor. Otherwise, magnetic fields will largely pass right through. Since we're usually dealing with electro-magnetic waves, attenuating both electric (with a grounded metallic shield) and magnetic (with magnetically permeable material) fields is the most effective approach. Mu-metal is what they used to wrap around CRT display tubes to reduce the distortion effects of external magnetic fields on the deflecting electron beam painting the phosphor on the inner surface of the screen.

Aluminum Tin foil hats may actually increase rather than decrease the reception of signals.

»berkeley.intel-research. ··· /helmet/

The helmets amplify frequency bands that coincide with those allocated to the US government between 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. According to the FCC, These bands are supposedly reserved for ''radio location'' (ie, GPS), and other communications with satellites (see, for example, [3]). The 2.6 Ghz band coincides with mobile phone technology. Though not affiliated by government, these bands are at the hands of multinational corporations.

It requires no stretch of the imagination to conclude that the current helmet craze is likely to have been propagated by the Government, possibly with the involvement of the FCC. We hope this report will encourage the paranoid community to develop improved helmet designs to avoid falling prey to these shortcomings.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

That did not appear to be the case in the posts that I recently saw being obliterated (and served as a catalyst to start this thread). However, some people are more thin skinned than others.

Which threads?
Moderation occurs usually with "hey mods" (from all sources) or moderated by MOD's personally.
I find it a bit confusing returning to a thread the has been moderated and having to guess why the moderation has occurred.
If it was just to because somebody cried "TINFOIL HAT", i guess it's no big loss.
Rewriting the post with an actual claim might not of occurred to some?
said by jeanmarc:

Into this forum he did blunder
Whilst wearing a tin foil hat

Perceived blunders= equal the use of Foil.
I personally wouldn't want to wear a "Tinfoil hat" How would you know what the aliens are planning next.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to NetFixer

Anon

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

I did a search of this forum before starting this thread, and the newest post I could find was dated December 22nd 2012.

You forgot to test for if any other current words/phrases can be searched to rule out why you can't find "tin foil". You'd find not a single word from this thread, besides tin foil" can be searched either.

In fact, if you'd search by your handle name, and sort by date (newest first) the last thing you've posted on this site is 12/31/2012.

Don't be concerned, the site index has been down since 1/1/2013. It happens every year because justin has to manually update the date in the code (it's static, not dynamic), and then it takes some time after that to re-index all the posts for many days until that happens.

2013: »Search is broken again :(
2012: »*Bump* Search Index
2011 »[bug] Search Index Hamsters: Vacation? Stuck in Traffic?..Anarch

-Jim

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by JALevinworth :

said by NetFixer:

I did a search of this forum before starting this thread, and the newest post I could find was dated December 22nd 2012.

You forgot to test for if any other current words/phrases can be searched to rule out why you can't find "tin foil". You'd find not a single word from this thread, besides tin foil" can be searched either.

In fact, if you'd search by your handle name, and sort by date (newest first) the last thing you've posted on this site is 12/31/2012.

Thanks for the heads up on the search problem; I had not done many site/forum searches lately, and had not noticed that.

However, the primary trigger for this thread was seeing several posts containing the phrase "tin foil" disappear while I was viewing a thread. They were posts that I would deem to be innocuous (or even mildly humorous), not flames or trolling, so I was just curious if perhaps there was a new unannounced forum rule. The search I did was just an (apparently futile) attempt to answer my own question.

The search problem would however tend to make the prohibition on multiple threads on the same topic hard to comply with.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by NetFixer:

Thanks for the heads up on the search problem; I had not done many site/forum searches lately, and had not noticed that.

No problem, Boss. FYI the search index borks a few times a year and always at the New Year. I am usually the first one who notices because I use a saved search of my handle (JALevinworth) in my bookmarks toolbar to find my posts and their replies. Quite lost without it and am too old to remember where I was most of the time, lol. I digress, but it's usually a good idea to check if it's not working and/or the site bugs forum.
said by NetFixer:

However, the primary trigger for this thread was seeing several posts containing the phrase "tin foil" disappear while I was viewing a thread. They were posts that I would deem to be innocuous (or even mildly humorous), not flames or trolling, so I was just curious if perhaps there was a new unannounced forum rule. The search I did was just an (apparently futile) attempt to answer my own question.

The search problem would however tend to make the prohibition on multiple threads on the same topic hard to comply with.

I didn't see what you saw, but it's possible it had less to do with that phrase or even a single post than something in the content of the whole the thread. Or, the way the post sounded like to the mods ears was different than the way than it was intended. I rarely have anything removed, but I know there have been a couple of times over the years where something I posted that was completely innocuous that was summarily deleted that left me scratching my head. I could only conclude it was totally misunderstood or it was done in error. I don't worry about it, but instead remember the mods are mostly volunteers and humans too. Maybe the post you saw was one of those things too. (I also imagine that there are some people who may be on a shorter leash warning than others from previous behaviors too.) It's so hard to tell and left to the mysteries of the Gods here. Not that your concern isn't valid, but other things to consider as well.

If it helps, I tried to do a google search on the site for that phrase. Doing that kind of search, focused on last month and found this reference from 1/9. That might not be the newest reference besides this thread, because I got a ton of overload repeats from this thread plus old stuff that shouldn't have been in there from I guess old link references on new pages that I wasn't going to sift through either.

Hope this helps.
-Jim