AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo

Can't access the modem GUI

Modem: Moto SB6120

I just replaced my router WRT610N, with an EA6500.
And now I can't access the modem via 192.168.100.1 !!!

It's one question I thought I'll never asked, but here I am with this newb problem.

A little OT, but you guys are the best.
Any help? Thanks.

p.s.
I hate the new Cisco/Linksys interface.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

What /24 range is used on the EA6500 for DHCP?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

AlphaOne
I see
Premium

2 edits

Can't remember what's in the WRT610N, but it's now C class.

Used the same gateway address as before: 192.168.150.1.
Same IP ranges for clients.

AlphaOne
I see
Premium

Any suggestions I can try?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

I assume you can connect to it when attached directly?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

MgA_ODEN
Excessive
Premium
join:2002-12-28
Spring, TX
reply to AlphaOne

»SB6120 and 192.168.100.1
--
Ìïëþí ëáâÝ

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo

1 edit

A little background:

With the WRT610N, the gateway address was 192.168.150.1, and subnet as 255.255.255.0.
DHCP is giving out addresses starting from 192.168.150.100 etc.

I used to access the modem just fine, using 192.168.100.1.

Now with the EA6500, I can't.

Edit:
That might be a weird or unconvential setup, but it worked for the purpose I intended.
Just trying to mimic my old setup with the new router, just to make the migration easy (so I won't have to change every single static IP addresses of devices in the network).

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

This sounds like the router will not pass traffic out the WAN port to private IP address space. This is not unusual.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to AlphaOne

said by AlphaOne:

A little background:

With the WRT610N, the gateway address was 192.168.150.1, and subnet as 255.255.255.0.
DHCP is giving out addresses starting from 192.168.150.100 etc.

I used to access the modem just fine, using 192.168.100.1.

Now with the EA6500, I can't.

Edit:
That might be a weird or unconvential setup, but it worked for the purpose I intended.
Just trying to mimic my old setup with the new router, just to make the migration easy (so I won't have to change every single static IP addresses of devices in the network).

As to why it used to work but now it does not I point to »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode

Note: That other thread that I created and I pointing to, you might find interesting

REF »Access to modem combo while in bridge mode

--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to AlphaOne

What graysonf See Profile said about the router not passing traffic to a private IP space might be what is happening. That more commonly occurs with DSL modems when the router is doing PPPoE on it's WAN, but I have also seen it happen with cable modems and the router using DHCP on its WAN.

As a test you can temporarily setup your router's WAN to use static IP configuration instead of DHCP. Set the router's WAN IP address to 192.168.100.2, the netmask to 255.255.255.0, and the gateway to 192.168.100.1. You won't be able to access the internet that way, but you can verify whether or not you can reach the cable modem's ethernet interface (and its http server).

If that works, then the router's firmware is probably blocking private IP addresses when the gateway is using a public IP address. If it doesn't work, then you have a more serious problem, and you might want to configure a PC the same way you did the router's WAN interface and connect the PC directly to the modem's ethernet interface just to make sure that your cable modem and the connecting ethernet cable are still working properly. I assume that you know that you will need to power cycle the cable modem anytime you change anything on its ethernet interface.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.