share rss forum feed

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 edit

1 recommendation

USB Charger Receptacle

Awhile back there was a topic about Cooper USB charger receptacles and their 700ma charging limitation. Today, I found the Hubbell version the local supply house. The Hubbell version supplies 3.0A @ 5VDC to two USB ports and also provides two 5-15 TR receptacles where as the Cooper version has only one 5-15R on it's face. They are available in all of the standard colors and are cost competitive, at least locally, with Cooper.

»ecatalog.hubbell-wiring.com/pres···B003.pdf
--
Zach

Edit: Typo

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

I was wondering when Hubbell would come out with a version.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Zach1

Now when you have to use a wall wart, you not only can't use the other outlet, but you cover up two high current USB outlets as well.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Zach1

Check out the FastMac version. I've got 2 of them and love them.

»store.fastmac.com/product_info.p···s_id=458

They only output 2.1A on USB, though.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

The Hubble version appears to use standard Decora outlet plates so is compatible with multi-gang wall plates. The fastmac looks to have a proprietary plate unless you're really good with a Dremel.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to Zach1

Where do people put these anyway?
Not saying I can't imagine where, I can guess near the beds next to the night stand, on a kitchen counter receptacle, but these are pretty limited locations.

I just buy a bunch of USB wall warts, most of them time, where I end up plugging it has already a ton of other devices (hence a power strip is needed).

Nifty product though, maybe one day I'll have a place for it. Ideally it would be next to my night stand, but I already need a power strip there

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

In my kitchen.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

I have one of the Power2U units installed on the kitchen island. Hardly use anything else anymore. One problem is these are large devices. In my case, even though the electrical box was sized properly according to spec it was very difficult to wire it. Luckily the location I put it was the end of a run with only one romex. Looks like the Hubble is about the same size from looking at the specs. Hubble also has only one set of screws. End result, 16 cu in box is really tight and don't think it would work with two romex in the box. IMO, in many cases the elec box will need to be replaced with an extra deep one.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

I learned a long time ago that 20 cu in boxes have to be the new normal. For me, it's worth the extra nickel not to have to fight everything in. Of course, GFCI's get 22 cu in boxes.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by nunya:

I learned a long time ago that 20 cu in boxes have to be the new normal. For me, it's worth the extra nickel not to have to fight everything in. Of course, GFCI's get 22 cu in boxes.

I tried to fit one of those in a construction original box.

I got angry.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by alkizmo:

said by nunya:

I tried to fit one of those in a construction original box.

Good luck with that.

said by alkizmo:

I got angry.

I bet. It's even better when you have lathe-plaster walls.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

My warning was directed to those who still have the old normal and read the specs of the device, measure their box and go "great it will fit" only to find out after ordering one that there is no way without replacing the box. I agree with you, if I'm installing a new box it is going to be big.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

For me, I put it behind the dresser in my bedroom. At night, I come home, plug the work and personal cell phones into the cables laying on the dresser and forget about them until it's time to leave the house again.

makaze
Premium
join:2004-02-23
USA

said by ke4pym:

said by alkizmo:

For me, I put it behind the dresser in my bedroom. At night, I come home, plug the work and personal cell phones into the cables laying on the dresser and forget about them until it's time to leave the house again.

I'm gonna be installing 2 of these in my bedroom soon, no more hunting for a usb to ac adapter, just the cables when charging my phones.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by makaze:

I'm gonna be installing 2 of these in my bedroom soon, no more hunting for a usb to ac adapter, just the cables when charging my phones.

You'll be hunting the cables then

I just buy a bunch of USB chargers with an equal number of cables and leave them in key locations. It's less permanent if I change my habits.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by alkizmo:

said by makaze:

You'll be hunting the cables then

I just buy a bunch of USB chargers with an equal number of cables and leave them in key locations. It's less permanent if I change my habits.

This hasn't been an issue for me. I put a sticky zip tie on the back of the dresser to keep them from falling behind it.

Now, this is for cell phones only. I don't have any other USB based devices that need charging. Could see it as an issue if I had an iPad or some such. But I don't.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to Zach1

Thanks for the follow-up, and particularly for including the spec sheet. I was very curious about standby consumption and was happy to find that data.

The draw is pretty low at 0.63 Wh, but couldn't they have done better? Why not completely switch off the electronics if nothing is plugged in? Admittedly this won't have much of an impact in your typical residential installation, but it does add up. If just 10% of all US households were to install one of these receptacles, combined they would be wasting over 8 MWh continuously.

132,312,404 US housing units per US Census Bureau

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by pike:

Thanks for the follow-up, and particularly for including the spec sheet. I was very curious about standby consumption and was happy to find that data.

The draw is pretty low at 0.63 Wh, but couldn't they have done better? Why not completely switch off the electronics if nothing is plugged in? Admittedly this won't have much of an impact in your typical residential installation, but it does add up. If just 10% of all US households were to install one of these receptacles, combined they would be wasting over 8 MWh continuously.

132,312,404 US housing units per US Census Bureau

People waste more power than that by using baseboard electric heat and incandescent lightbulbs. I would say it's rather minuscule in the greater scheme of things. Most waste is generated by industrial and commercial applications rather than residential.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

reply to pike

said by pike:

The draw is pretty low at 0.63 Wh, but couldn't they have done better? Why not completely switch off the electronics if nothing is plugged in?

Power2U does this

»www.amazon.com/Newer-Technology-···065I114K

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to makaze

I have found that these work quite well, and are easy to move when furniture gets re-arranged.

»www.amazon.com/Belkin-Outlet-Sur···lkin+usb

pike
Premium,MVM
Washington, DC
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

People waste more power than that by using baseboard electric heat and incandescent lightbulbs. I would say it's rather minuscule in the greater scheme of things.

I agree, but you may have missed my point. Baseboard heat and incandescent lights are old technology being phased out. The deployment of these outlets is a (relatively) new phenomenon. These days we better understand the need for conservation and possess the technology to achieve it.
said by sk1939:

Most waste is generated by industrial and commercial applications rather than residential.

Let's not forget to add the government to that list. As I'm sure you know, a stroll through our downtown late in the evening will reveal most federal buildings completely lit up on the inside, probably with their HVAC systems running as though they were occupied.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Vampire draw is a scam I refuse to buy into. I'll leave all my stuff plugged in so it works when I need it to.

Baseboard heat is not being "phased out". It's alive and well.

I agree that we are stewards of this Earth, but there are way bigger fish to fry, even when considering small items in the "grand scheme".
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

Not much getting around it since they take ages to boot up, but those damn Motorola set top boxes that all the cablecos use are perfect exames of vampire draw. Feel the amount of heat coming off them when they've been "powered off" overnight for proof.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Vampire draw is a scam

Case closed.

Seriously, I remember those commercials about leaving your cellphone charger plugged in being the END OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!

Man, wtf. That little green LED that's confirming that the charger is energized must cost like.... 1 cent a year!!! DAMN VAMPIRES! I'd rather plug/unplug things all the time and CONSUME PRECIOUS CALORIES! Food prices are going up!

btw ya I agree with Nunya in case my sarcasm went all over the place.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

1 edit

said by alkizmo:

said by nunya:

Vampire draw is a scam

Case closed...Man, wtf. That little green LED that's confirming that the charger is energized must cost like.... 1 cent a year!!!

Any facts to back that up or just opinion? Vampire draw is much more than just one little green light. When you really look at the numbers it is surprising how much energy is wasted.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

Not quite one cent, but less than a half dollar.

Estimated annual cost to use a USB Charger Receptacle, charging 2 devices (tablets drawing maximum power),
for 6 hours a day, at a Kilowatt cost of $0.10

Hours of use (6) x kilowatt cost ($0.10) x kilowatt usage per hour (19.7w/1000*) x 365 days = $4.31

Hours of non-use (18) x kilowatt cost ($0.10) x kilowatt usage per hour ( .63w/1000*) x 365 days = $0.41

Total hours (24) Total cost per year $4.72

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

That's just for the cell and tablet. The quote is "Vampire draw is a scam". Many more vampires in the average home than just the cell phone charger and they are not all so small. Still, take your numbers and multiply it by the number of households in the US which use cell phones and calculate the total wasted power draw on the electric grid.

pike
Premium,MVM
Washington, DC
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Vampire draw is a scam I refuse to buy into.

How is it a "scam"? The standby current draw is a tangible measurable quantity. You and I are paying for it one way or another. Generation capacity has decreased and distribution capacity has been stagnant in this country over the past few decades. There's a supply and demand factor in there. I realize some people can't understand that the fossil fuels we burn to generate electricity are a finite resource, but most can agree its getting more expensive to mine them.

Of course, it is the big picture of energy waste we should be thinking about (comm, ind & gov users). But if everyone has the attitude of "it's a scam", how can we expect change to be made at any level?

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

The scam is the inconvenience far outweighs any savings.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Vampire draw is a scam I refuse to buy into.

I don’t think it is a scam but agree the impact is probably overstated.

Here in high energy cost NH we pay about $.15kWh. Assuming one has a wall wart plugged in 24/7 and even unused draws 1w that is 8.75 kWh/yr or about $1.25. Does not sound like much but the fact is most residences have dozens of these devices so cost easily add up to a few extra dollars a month. The good news is switching mode power supplies are more efficient reducing the effects of parasitic loss.

I think the real culprits are devices that appear to be off but still draw appreciable power. That results in significant wasted energy. In air conditioning areas that extra energy has to be paid for again during the cooling season. Those types of loads are worth going after. Even relativity small draw can add up to a significant amount if they are on 24/7/365.

Unplugging a 1W wall wart does not make much sense, figuring out how to fully turn off a 10W device probably does. As mentioned by other the Kill-A-Watt meter is a handy tool to identify the worst offenders.

/tom