share rss forum feed

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to alkizmo

Re: USB Charger Receptacle

It's all in the report which I provided a link to if you care to read it. Fact is they use almost the same amount of power recording or not in use at all.

As to coal use in Canada, this site lists either 19 or 20 operating coal fired power plants in Canada in 2011. So you can still feel some guilt.

»globalenergyobservatory.org/list···ype=Coal

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to alkizmo
Read that PDF...

They measure standby power between 10 and 50+ W for different models. Average looks to be around 20W.

I have 4 HD set top boxes doing nothing almost all of the time. It's a huge waste. As mentioned earlier, I'm getting stuck in the eye twice having to pay to remove the heat the things create from the house in the summertime too.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to jobr
said by jobr:

Apologies for the slight thread hijack, but is anyone aware of a power strip with ONLY usb ports?

its called a USB hub.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
said by AVD:

said by jobr:

Apologies for the slight thread hijack, but is anyone aware of a power strip with ONLY usb ports?

it's called a USB hub.

»www.google.com/search?q=multi+po···&bih=874
--

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to robbin
said by robbin:

As to coal use in Canada, this site lists either 19 or 20 operating coal fired power plants in Canada in 2011. So you can still feel some guilt.

But none of those supply ME!!

Ok so set top boxes are a bit of an exception, they're basically mini-computers running 24/7.

The commercials I saw often on TV about vampire draw were stuff like kids leaving their phone chargers in the walls.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
my cell phone displays the message "Battery at 100%, unplug charger."
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

said by AVD:

said by jobr:

it's called a USB hub.

»www.google.com/search?q=multi+po···&bih=874

Sorry, but the average USB hub will not do that. The USB standard does not allow it. This seems to explain the problem well.

»support.plugable.com/plugable/to···_charger

"With standard USB 2.0, devices are only allowed to draw up to 100mA until they negotiate with the attached computer - then they can draw up to 500mA. So to get to that 500mA rate, a computer has to be attached and on for that negotiation to happen.

The devices you're asking about are higher power and need more than 100mA to charge at all. So they need to the computer on for negotiation.

Even then, at 500mA (USB 2.0's max), that's not fastest charge rate for the iPod, and not enough for the iPad to charge at all, if the iPad screen is on. So Apple (and others) have implemented proprietary extensions to USB to signal their devices when they're allowed to pull more than 500mA"

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

my cell phone displays the message "Battery at 100%, unplug charger."

Yeaaahhhh... unplug the charger from the phone

Are you telling us that we shouldn't leave our phones on the charger when they are full? Cause that in no way will I do.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to jobr
said by jobr:

I've looked at usb hubs, but I haven't found one with high enough current. Ideally I'd like something with at least four ports, able to give 1 A to each port simultaneously.

»www.amazon.com/Outlets-To-Power-···018MEBNG

Though not the type you want, but you should search for "power strip usb" on amazon and browse around. They exist. 4 usb ports though might be a stretch. Even my UPS only has 2 usb ports (but it charges fast like hell).

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to jobr
said by jobr:

I've looked at usb hubs, but I haven't found one with high enough current. Ideally I'd like something with at least four ports, able to give 1 A to each port simultaneously.

»www.amazon.com/Scosche-QUSBH4-re···04QOAGOQ

jobr

join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS
That Scosche charger looks just like what I want. Thank you!

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to alkizmo
Each of my three cable boxes uses ~18 Watts whether they're on or off.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
reply to PSWired
+1
My DirecTV box draws 23 watts "off" and 25 watts when in use!

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

and 0 when unplugged
--

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by AVD:

said by Bob4:

and 0 when unplugged

And 30 minutes or so to become fully functional again when you plug it back in.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL
reply to Zach1

.htm
»www.menards.com/main/electrical/···6412.htm

$4.97

One item which I saw at Menards yesterday was a wall plate UBS charger which contained a slot to hold your iPod while it was charging, but I do not see it on their on line catalogue.

»www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=USB

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to Zach1
FYI: Pass & Seymore also makes a listed USB charging receptacle:

»www.legrand.us/passandseymour/us···21fKJHWA

I have used them and can recommend this product.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
Why give up the second receptacle if you don't need to? I prefer those having duplex outlets.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to whizkid3
Thanks for the info about P&S. A quick search of Leviton's site reveals, they too, have arrived at the USB receptacle party. P&S and Leviton devices are rated at 2.1A @ 5VDC If Cooper hasn't yet updated theirs from 700ma, it won't be long.

»www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionD···te=10251
--
Zach

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to Zach1
The fastMac/Power2u ones are garbage. I have had them. While they work they are too large.

My fastmac isn't UL listed - it is just a "box" that uses the rear stab lock of the outlet.

Both require a special wall plate and are not tamper resistant.

Oddly enough neither would charge my Nexus 7. That's the reason they came out of my house and went into my parents. After a FW update to it they now do both charge my tablet.

I'm a big fan of the Cooper model.

Someone tested the cooper against the Leviton and claimed that it's output was subpar. There's also an issue where the left and right port provide different power.

I have several cooper ones and they work great. I cannot find a local source to buy the legrand or hubbell ones. If they are $30 shipped and someone provides a link, I would be happy to buy and compare them to my (current) standard cooper.

The $14 price tag of the cooper also helps make it tops in my book.

DadeMurphy
Premium
join:2002-07-25
Danvers, MA
reply to StepR
I just picked up this GE unit from Home Depot. You take the screw holding the face plate out then plug this into the bottom outlet and use the provided longer screw to secure the unit and the faceplate of the outlet. You can install with or without the shelf. So far I'm pretty happy with it. After you install this you now get 3 outlets and 2 USB ports from your wall.

»www.homedepot.com/buy/ge-2-outle···Y6GfjFv4
--
Most people don't think clearly when they're on fire.

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by makaze:

I'm gonna be installing 2 of these in my bedroom soon, no more hunting for a usb to ac adapter, just the cables when charging my phones.

You'll be hunting the cables then

I just buy a bunch of USB chargers with an equal number of cables and leave them in key locations. It's less permanent if I change my habits.

Cables for every port. Done and done.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:13
reply to fcisler
said by fcisler:

I cannot find a local source to buy the legrand or hubbell ones. If they are < $30 shipped and someone provides a link, I would be happy to buy and compare them to my (current) standard cooper.

Amazon has the P&S (Legrand) ones.

It looks like the Cooper can only supply 0.7A whereas the Leviton and P&S ones can provide 2.1A and the Hubbell 3.0A. The Hubbell one does not appear to be widely available yet though.

/M

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by mackey:

The Hubbell one does not appear to be widely available yet though.

/M

Graybar and Schadler Yesco both should have it.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:13
Like I said, not widely available.

/M

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to mackey
I would say that the Cooper's supply is underrated. It charges both my phone and Nexus 7 in the same time as a 2A nexus charger and another no-name brand 2A charger.

I'll buy the Pass & Seymour next time I order from amazon and check it out.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
said by fcisler:

I would say that the Cooper's supply is underrated.

It's not underrated. It is what it is. The problem is connecting an excessive load to a small power supply.

If all you want is to charge your phone, then it is probably fine. If you want to charge your tablet, it probably isn't.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

1 edit
reply to fcisler
said by fcisler:

The fastMac/Power2u ones are garbage. I have had them. While they work they are too large.

I would respectfully disagree with the Power2U as being garbage. I have had two for over 6 months and they work and work well.

emhankinson

join:2003-02-11
Friedens, PA
reply to Zach1
Just picked up and installed a Hubbell. I like it. With 4 tablets, 2 cell phones, and an iPod in the house, I need more.