uniqs
share rss forum feed

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to Zach1

Re: USB Charger Receptacle

The fastMac/Power2u ones are garbage. I have had them. While they work they are too large.

My fastmac isn't UL listed - it is just a "box" that uses the rear stab lock of the outlet.

Both require a special wall plate and are not tamper resistant.

Oddly enough neither would charge my Nexus 7. That's the reason they came out of my house and went into my parents. After a FW update to it they now do both charge my tablet.

I'm a big fan of the Cooper model.

Someone tested the cooper against the Leviton and claimed that it's output was subpar. There's also an issue where the left and right port provide different power.

I have several cooper ones and they work great. I cannot find a local source to buy the legrand or hubbell ones. If they are $30 shipped and someone provides a link, I would be happy to buy and compare them to my (current) standard cooper.

The $14 price tag of the cooper also helps make it tops in my book.

DadeMurphy
Premium
join:2002-07-25
Danvers, MA
reply to StepR

I just picked up this GE unit from Home Depot. You take the screw holding the face plate out then plug this into the bottom outlet and use the provided longer screw to secure the unit and the faceplate of the outlet. You can install with or without the shelf. So far I'm pretty happy with it. After you install this you now get 3 outlets and 2 USB ports from your wall.

»www.homedepot.com/buy/ge-2-outle···Y6GfjFv4
--
Most people don't think clearly when they're on fire.

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

said by makaze:

I'm gonna be installing 2 of these in my bedroom soon, no more hunting for a usb to ac adapter, just the cables when charging my phones.

You'll be hunting the cables then

I just buy a bunch of USB chargers with an equal number of cables and leave them in key locations. It's less permanent if I change my habits.

Cables for every port. Done and done.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to fcisler

said by fcisler:

I cannot find a local source to buy the legrand or hubbell ones. If they are < $30 shipped and someone provides a link, I would be happy to buy and compare them to my (current) standard cooper.

Amazon has the P&S (Legrand) ones.

It looks like the Cooper can only supply 0.7A whereas the Leviton and P&S ones can provide 2.1A and the Hubbell 3.0A. The Hubbell one does not appear to be widely available yet though.

/M

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by mackey:

The Hubbell one does not appear to be widely available yet though.

/M

Graybar and Schadler Yesco both should have it.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

Like I said, not widely available.

/M

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to mackey

I would say that the Cooper's supply is underrated. It charges both my phone and Nexus 7 in the same time as a 2A nexus charger and another no-name brand 2A charger.

I'll buy the Pass & Seymour next time I order from amazon and check it out.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

said by fcisler:

I would say that the Cooper's supply is underrated.

It's not underrated. It is what it is. The problem is connecting an excessive load to a small power supply.

If all you want is to charge your phone, then it is probably fine. If you want to charge your tablet, it probably isn't.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to fcisler

said by fcisler:

The fastMac/Power2u ones are garbage. I have had them. While they work they are too large.

I would respectfully disagree with the Power2U as being garbage. I have had two for over 6 months and they work and work well.

emhankinson

join:2003-02-11
Friedens, PA
reply to Zach1

Just picked up and installed a Hubbell. I like it. With 4 tablets, 2 cell phones, and an iPod in the house, I need more.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Zach1

Click for full size
early Newer Tech outlet
Thanks for that Zach!

I found that the Newer Power outlet I have was changed. The Power2U doesn't look anything now like the one I bought early on.

See? (It has child-safety outlets but open USB ports. Charges fast too. had to mod the tile to fit though...wider than most)
--
Splat

PS: that is my kitchen wall. Marble with ceramic inlay of various wine-grapes-coffee pots...