Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to phxuser

Premium Member

to phxuser

Re: Nvidia driver exploit allows super user escalation

nVidia Update Service doesn't work. It throws an error. Besides, why would anyone update nVidia driver when doing so trashes your color settings?

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

nVidia Update Service doesn't work. It throws an error. Besides, why would anyone update nVidia driver when doing so trashes your color settings?

It trashes color settings?
Are you saying it does this for everyone who updates nVidia drivers, or just yourself?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't know if it happens to others or just me. I have 660 GTX card on Win 8 computer. The last nVidia driver update trashed my color settings. I was really surprised it did that. I used system restore to get back to the earlier version. I didn't really need that driver update as it was to improve certain games that I don't have. It was not a security update.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I updated my driver on this PC and it made the rendering improve. "Your mileage may vary".
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
You need to learn to use the little buttons on your monitor to change the color, and brightness. You do that once, and then you never have to calibrate the monitor again anytime soon.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

No, that does not work. My monitor cannot be calibrated for digital vibrance nor for nVidia color settings except within nVidia. You don't seem to know much about nVidia cards. This is my third one on different computers on this monitor that has about 28,000 hours on it. lf nVidia cards they must have color settings done fom nVidia controls. IF I used on board graphics I could not get decent color because on board graphics does not have digital vibrance setting. NOTHING achieves that using the monitor controls. I didn't say the new nVidia driver screwed with brightness, contrast, etc. Those are the settings that I would use the monitor's buttons for. If you rely on the monitor settings you have garbage colors...no vibrancy. The reds are really off and most greens, but most men are color blind for green and red so they can't see the great differences and, thus, dismiss digital vibrance because of their genetic short coming.

Of course, without nVIEW nVidia card is not worth much anyway and there is no way to properly calibrate and have nVidia save all my Desktops without nView, I had no idea that now only professional nVidia card are worth a damn. There was zero point in my waiting fo six months for Dell to finally offer decent nVidia card for this computer. I could have simply gotten ATI 7870 and Windows 7.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

All I hear is crying from you on this issue, and I knew you couldn't reply without mentioning nview again...