share rss forum feed

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to jc100

Re: Good idea..

get rid of the subsidies, get the devices OUT of the hands of the carriers and you will see the prices go down quite a bit.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by ArrayList:

get rid of the subsidies, get the devices OUT of the hands of the carriers and you will see the prices go down quite a bit.

Eventually. That may take a couple of years. Also they are never going to be free so for a lot of people there is no price that will beat a subsidy.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

even the "free" phones are not free. Don't forget that stupid contract.

jc100

join:2002-04-10

Free phones aren't free, but I doubt carriers are going to lower the price of their plans. What you end up with is a phone you own and a bill that doesn't get reduced. That 100 dollar a month unlimited plan will remain 100 dollars. I doubt the carrier is going to lower the price to supplement to reflect the purchase price of a phone.

Even at 400 dollars, you are still talking 17 dollars a month for 24 months to recoup your investment. Might as well be locked into a two year unless you've got change to drop for the latest device on a whim.

I prefer the subsidy and will happily live with my 2 year contract to avoid being gouged twice. Once on the bill and once on the phone. Who benefits here? The carrier.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Eventually. That may take a couple of years. Also they are never going to be free so for a lot of people there is no price that will beat a subsidy.

There is no such thing as a free phone. You can already get better deals than through the "subsidies".

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to jc100

said by jc100:

Free phones aren't free, but I doubt carriers are going to lower the price of their plans.

You're obviously not paying attention.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to ArrayList

Apple has to have their 40%+ profit, so not on Apple devices.

I mean really, the lowest end iphone costs more then the lowest end ipad? Give me a break.