Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

[DSL] 25$ Speed Change Fee?

I'm seeing on Teksavvy's website that there's a 25$ "speed change fee" available on several tiers.

»teksavvy.com/en/residential/inte···d-dsl-25
The most puzzling one is VDSL25mbit. What speed can someone coming from DSL25 change to for 25$?

and wouldn't they be unable to change back without paying 95$?

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
The $25 is to upgrade from ADSL to ADSL2.
The $95 is to upgrade from whatever-less-than-VDSL2 to VDSL2 or a new VDSL2 install.
If you want to downgrade, TSI bills you Bell's $25 profile change administrative charge.

apvm

join:2003-02-14
London, ON
kudos:1
said by InvalidError:

The $95 is to upgrade from whatever-less-than-VDSL2 to VDSL2 or a new VDSL2 install.
If you want to downgrade, TSI bills you Bell's $25 profile change administrative charge.

I have DSL 6 with Teksavvy, does that mean I have to pay $25 to change to DSL 15? Tia

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by apvm:

said by InvalidError:

I have DSL 6 with Teksavvy, does that mean I have to pay $25 to change to DSL 15? Tia

Yes.

OP: They can change from 25 to something lower. I bet this is a Bhell fee that TSI is having to pass along.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
said by JMJimmy:

said by apvm:

said by InvalidError:

Yes.

OP: They can change from 25 to something lower. I bet this is a Bhell fee that TSI is having to pass along.

That is correct. This fee is passed along from Bell.
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter!

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
said by TSI Andre:

That is correct. This fee is passed along from Bell.

Don't know why anybody would deal with you at Teksavvy. If you're not willing to absorb Bell fees as the "cost of doing business" then why not just cut Teksavvy out of the loop (along with all your startup fees) and deal directly with Bell. Cut out the middleman and get direct pricing. Teksavvy is just an added cost no one needs.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
That is entirely the choice of the consumer. We are able to offer what we offer because of things like this. If we started to absorb all costs, then I am sure our packages would be priced differently...

If someone wants to go to Bell and deal with them, they can certainly do so but we do things differently so we can provide the consumers a choice and a pretty darn good one if you ask me. Sometimes a chance from the "regular" or "traditional" is quite refreshing.

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter!

elitefx

London, ON
said by TSI Andre:

Sometimes a chance from the "regular" or "traditional" is quite refreshing.

Andre

With all due respect, it might be quite "refreshing" to you but not to the consumer getting hit with fee after fee for simply wanting to upgrade their quality of service from Teksavvy.

Your explanation contains no solid financial reasoning/planning for the average Joe to consider you as an alternative, period. You want our business then show us why Teksavvy is a better financial deal than, in this case, Bell.

Prove to us why you're not just an added unecessary expense.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

1 recommendation

said by elitefx:

Prove to me why customers who flip speed packages every 6 months aren't an unecessary expense.

Teksavvy and others publish their prices, and the consumer can make a choice.

It sounds to me like you've got an axe to grind, or something else behind your hostility.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to elitefx
Not every option is going to work for everyone. If a light user is looking to bundle services, or if they need dry loop, TekSavvy DSL might not be a better value than Bell. If you have a live line and just want DSL internet though, TSI is clearly not an "added cost"...they're far cheaper.

Bell charges $67 a month for 25/10 DSL with a 125GB cap. If you use, for example, 200 GB a month, Bell will charge you another $80. Add tax and the total cost is $166/month.

The exact same service from TekSavvy? $69/month. ($53 + $8 modem rental + tax). You'll also pay $107 in setup costs, while Bell would charge $56. That $51 saved kind of pales in comparison to the $1,164 saved each year with Teksavvy.

In other words, passing on Bell's fees is completely reasonable for the right customers. Other customers should consider other options, but saying that no one should deal with TekSavvy is pretty ridiculous.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
reply to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

It sounds to me like you've got an axe to grind, or something else behind your hostility.

Stating facts and opinion is hardly "hostility" my friend.

apvm

London, ON
reply to elitefx
I am paying $33 before tax per month for Teksavvy's DSL6 with 300GB (no contract). Last time I checked, Bell can not offer me a lower price without contact for the same service (I need a lower price as initiative to move).

I may not agree with some of Teksavvy's latest decision but they still provide me with a satisfactory service at good price.

So wake me up when Bell can offer me a better package, otherwise my middleman is still doing a good job saving me money.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
reply to elitefx
HeadSpinning is 100% right!

You are too stressed ... A HJ may help you for that

About your brain ... you have no help...

Cloneman

Montreal
reply to Cloneman
Invaliderror,

I don't think you can upgrade from 5mbit to 15mbit for 25$, unless this is something that changed from last year.

apvm

London, ON
said by Cloneman:

Invaliderror,

I don't think you can upgrade from 5mbit to 15mbit for 25$, unless this is something that changed from last year.

Can someone from Teksavvy confirm this, I need to pay more than $25 for line change from ADSL 5/6Mbit to ADSL2+ 10/15mbit?

I may not need to switch now but I am thinking of it since I may need the faster download speed for my upcoming Netflix subscription.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
To change from ADSL1 to any ADSL 2 or VDSL package, it's 95$. Bell considers these new orders, not changes of services.

apvm

London, ON
said by TSI Martin:

To change from ADSL1 to any ADSL 2 or VDSL package, it's 95$. Bell considers these new orders, not changes of services.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cloneman

Montreal
reply to Cloneman
What does it cost to go from DSL25 to DSL15?

25$, but then 95$ to upgrade back to 25?

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Don't know why anybody would deal with you at Teksavvy. If you're not willing to absorb Bell fees as the "cost of doing business" then why not just cut Teksavvy out of the loop (along with all your startup fees) and deal directly with Bell.

Nobody just 'eats' the cost. If costs aren't passed down one way, they will get passed on some other way.

If TSI ate the initial setup costs and speed change cost, TSI would calculate the average monthly cost per susbcriber and increase base monthly fees by a similar amount, likely greater to offset subscribers who may flee to other ISPs who aren't averaging those costs into their monthly fees.

Basically, if the ISP "eats" the fees, it means steady subscribers who do not change plans or cancel/re-order on a regular basis are subsidizing people who switch ISPs and speeds on a whim all the time, which can become a major financial drain.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by TSI Andre:

Sometimes a chance from the "regular" or "traditional" is quite refreshing.

Andre

With all due respect, it might be quite "refreshing" to you but not to the consumer getting hit with fee after fee for simply wanting to upgrade their quality of service from Teksavvy.

Your explanation contains no solid financial reasoning/planning for the average Joe to consider you as an alternative, period. You want our business then show us why Teksavvy is a better financial deal than, in this case, Bell.

While I'm no fan of fees, I see this for what it is: Bhell trying to make life as difficult as possible for the wholesalers. One of these days they'll go one fee too far and the CRTC will come down on them but until that day it sucks for everyone.

apvm

London, ON
reply to Cloneman
My problem solved, only DSL 6 to my address according to Bell and Teksavvy website. So only option for me to get faster than 6 is to go cable.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to TSI Martin
said by InvalidError:

said by TSI Martin:

To change from ADSL1 to any ADSL2 or VDSL package, it's 95$.

Bell considers these new orders, not changes of services.

Some of the above statements disagree.

Both are from posters we trust.

Which ones are correct ?

IOW, which changes cost $25 and which cost $95 ?

6 > 15 = $
6 > 25 = $
15 > 6 = $
15 > 25 = $
25 > 6 = $
25 > 15 = $

apvm

London, ON
According to a rep from TSI (TSI Martin)

Your 1st two is $95 for sure.
Expand your moderator at work

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to Davesnothere

Re: [DSL] 25$ Speed Change Fee?

said by Davesnothere:

6 > 15 = 95$
6 > 25 = 95$
15 > 6 = 25$
15 > 25 = 95$
25 > 6 = 25$
25 > 15 = 25$

The answers are in bold.

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
said by TSI Martin:

said by Davesnothere:

6 > 15 = 95$
6 > 25 = 95$
15 > 6 = 25$
15 > 25 = 95$
25 > 6 = 25$
25 > 15 = 25$

The answers are in bold.

Regards,
Martin

Thanks.

So to summarize, changing to a higher tier/speed plan than where you are now would cost $95, and changing to a lower tier/speed plan would instead only be $25.

Possibly THAT would be a clearer way to explain it on the website, rather than the current titles for those two charges ?

= = = = = = = =

Therefive, the only other wrinkle would be what modem is (or can be) provided by whom, and whether or not it changes any of the above fees (and of course adding the 'Forced by Bell monthly modem rental fee' onto the VDSL aka 25Mbps plans).