CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Certain people don't like free Wifi

People who own stock in companies that provide capped LTE services aren't going to like this. Although it is not a very big area (and hence not much of a dent to the carriers) anything that cuts into revenue is considered theft. Why let people have free WiFi when they can pay $$$ to use LTE instead? Oh, and secure those routers everyone... open WiFi is illegal, dangerous, and just plain evil!!!

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Be careful about your sarcasm, when free/open wifi is everywhere, and everything is provided over IP, youll be outve a job. Nobody to pay your CXM wages when theres no subscriber money coming in. Unless of course, you think youll be paid by popups.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9 to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer
I have equity positions in companies that provide capped LTE services and I would love to have ubiquitous free WiFi.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
Don't you see, that is happening anyway. The out of a job part... not the free Wifi part. Do you think your salary is paid by Wireless profits?
CXM_Splicer

CXM_Splicer to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

I have equity positions in companies that provide capped LTE services and I would love to have ubiquitous free WiFi.

As do I (although not really willingly) but what would happen to the companies' stock if free ubiquitous WiFi became available? I assume that you would sell the shares? Or are you saying that you don't think LTE profits would be affected.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

No, because consumers will still subscribe to cellular services. How much LTE revenue comes from overages above the caps? Very little, so no, I don't believe profits would take that much of a hit. Even if cellular subs/revenue take hits, VZ and T will survive just fine with cash flow (my dividends are safe) and will likely return to wireline expansion (which I've been predicting will happen after the LTE builds are done) to serve as more backhaul for the ubiquitous free WiFi (which will never see a homogeneous nationwide rollout anyway).
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Fair enough but I think you are underestimating the impact it would have on LTE. I agree that in rural areas you will still have subscribers but with good WiFi coverage, there would be little need for LTE at all in an urban environment (in a car perhaps?). As a matter of fact, I am posting this now while sitting in my truck via a Time Warner free (for subscribers) hotspot. I don't have LTE for my Xoom and usually don't have a problem finding a connection in NYC.

I think it is safe to say there is an inverse relationship between available Wifi and LTE subscription. IMO, much of the anti-free-WiFi sentiments are from people who have a financial interest in the success of LTE.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by CXM_Splicer:

As a matter of fact, I am posting this now while sitting in my truck via a Time Warner free (for subscribers) hotspot. I don't have LTE for my Xoom and usually don't have a problem finding a connection in NYC.

Do you subscribe to cellular service?
said by CXM_Splicer:

IMO, much of the anti-free-WiFi sentiments are from people who have a financial interest in the success of LTE.

Maybe for some. I have a financial interest and I just don't see how spotty, "free" WiFi, subject to much interference and disparate networks, can compete on quality of service with a properly configured 3G/4G network. Maybe some are willing to put up with less, but I for one want my wireless communications device to work everywhere, whenever I need it, not when I'm within a few hundred feet of a WAP that may or may not be open and free. Not to mention how do you do voice walking around a smattering of different WiFi networks? I have a difficult time seeing WiFi significantly impact cellular providers anytime soon.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Technically, no I don't subscribe to cellular but that is only because I use my company phone for my personal calls and don't need it.

My Xoom is set to automatically connect to open hotspots so I can move around without a problem. Now, if I was trying to stream a video, then yes I would have a problem as I changed access points. Ironically, when people want to show me a video from their smartphone, it is invariably accompanied with buffering/connection problems. If there was open WiFi, there would be no such problem.

I am glad though that we can agree that open WiFi is a good thing considering we disagree on many other things. Hopefully open Wifi is on the increase.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

I really cant comprehend how youre a proponent of open wi-fi. It sounds like you have a vendetta against the wireless companies, but it would have a much larger impact on wireline. Especially in high density areas where you work. Internet, VoIP, IPTV (legal or illegal versions) , all flowing over a free network puts you on unemployment. As previously stated, even with open wi-fi, everyone will still have a cell phone, fixed residences and businesses in range of free wi-fi will not have any reason to subscribe to wired services.

I agree with you that the future is bleak, but endorsing technology that speeds the process of personal hardship isnt very logical IMO.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

The Internet would have to come from somewhere. I am not talking about everyone disconnecting their home service in favor of Google's ( or whoever's) free Internet. Much of the Wifi could be from people's home and business routers. Like Cable vision/Time Warner/etc. it would be available to people who are already subscribers; it is a supplemental extension of their home service. It wouldn't decrease wirleline profits and could potentially increase them as people switch to carriers with the most dense Wifi coverage. Google/NYC/other free WiFis would simply add to that density.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

quote:
It wouldn't decrease wirleline profits and could potentially increase them as people switch to carriers with the most dense Wifi coverage.
You are insane !!!! lol.

Look at the guys quote beneath us
quote:
To bad they won't expand it. How lovely it would be to call Time Warner and cancel.
Thats just ONE customer, millions in NYC would do the same.