spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

How practical would an oil cooled pc really be?

Like this one. The guy got what looks like a tank + pc case combo and filled it with mineral oil, then hooked a radiator up to it with a pump, case fans, ect. Is that practical? Because it looks like it would be a LOT of fun to do.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBrCP9B93E

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

Lol at the wallpaper, is he 12?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to me1212

Q: How practical is it to cover something completely with oil which will certainly have to be removed/replaced in the future?
A: Not even remotely practical.

It's such a waste of resources on so many levels that it's just preposterous. And I say that even despite Intel doing it.

Just completely, utterly unrealistic. What a waste.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
reply to me1212

Depends on what you mean by 'practical'? Is it worth doing?

Well, if you're an extreme overclocker, maybe. It certainly seems easier than dealing with peltiers or liquid cooling heatsinks and pipes. Just get a tank, a pump, and a radiator, along with a bunch of mineral oil, and you're good to go.

If you don't plan on changing things very often, its definitely easier to clean, especially since there's no real dust to speak of.

Cost wise? Well, see the parts you'd need above. Comparable to what you'd need to do liquid cooling anyway.

Necessary? Not for a standard desktop. If you want it for the 'hey check this out factor'? Sure!

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

said by Jahntassa:

If you want it for the 'hey check this out factor'? Sure!

Exactly why I want it. Maybe I'll get piledrive and overclock it. lol

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to koitsu

Exactly. Not practical at all for personal use.
But if you're an extreme overclocker that use the system all the time, it can be an alternative.

IMO, the only way it can be practical is if it's used in large scale. Wherein savings to cool the systems runs in the millions of dollars.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to me1212

I was looking at these the other night after getting prompted by one of my BL2 buddies... I love the idea, because I'm sure it can keep extreme OCd systems pretty cool, but... if you've ever owned any kind of aquarium or fishtank you know how much of PITA it is when you have to drain it and fix/change something.

EQ
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to me1212

Coolness factor = insane.
Serviceability factor = pull-your-hair-out-and-gnash-your-teeth levels

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Krisnatharok:

Serviceability factor = pull-your-hair-out-and-gnash-your-teeth levels

On the youtube videos I was watching, one of the engineers who started doing this stated that it takes a week (at least) for the motherboard to dry off when you pull it out. So if you ever have to service it, you'd be without your machine for at least a week.

But... if you consider all those discussions we were having about chipsets that are soldered to the motherboard, this be an ideal solution for overclocking one those.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have