Search similar:

uniqs

ToxicD
@rogers.com

ToxicD to dabonz7

Anon

to dabonz7

Re: Hay Rogers office Closed

I've had several major outages with Rogers in Toronto in the past 6 months. Last time was told that they will allow me to cancel my services if there were to be another outage. Called in today after not being able to connect to internet and wireless all evening. They refused to cancel my services. Next step is to take it to the OOP. If that fails, will take them to small claims court. This BS has to stop. I don't care about credits (have none on my account). I just want to have a reliable service, and I am willing to pay for it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

said by Ian1:

This happened not six months ago. My advice would not to use Rogers DNS servers. Not just for outages like this, but ever. What it says about an ISP that has chronic problems maintaining reliable DNS I leave to the observer.....

I was testing out DNS Benchmark a while back when this last (DNS) outage occurred. I actually regret not having implemented an alternate DNS server at that time as I was kicked offline just after my previous posting. Rogers only uses "1" single DNS server... which in itself is pretty stupid. I understand that it can branch out from that one DNS server... but it's useless once that "1" DNS server goes out. I will admit that this does not happen very much... but with the prices were paying for Rogers, I expect more than one reliable DNS server at any given time. Time to make some manual changes.

Rogers is providing you a connection to the Internet, but if you read the TOS they don't have to even provide you service, "DNS is Free Sir".

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to stevey_frac

Premium Member

to stevey_frac
said by stevey_frac:

I've got two friends, one on rogers mobile, on on rogers cable internet, that are unable to route to 8.8.8.8.

This implies its more than a DNS outage.

--Steve

Quite possible at some point, however I swapped my mobile DNS servers for Google's and immediately all of my issues disappeared. So, that indicates a DNS outage. Maybe there were other issues before that. *shrug*

Ranja
@rogers.com

Ranja to r100

Anon

to r100
change your dns to 8.8.8.8

NoHSpeed
@199.198.223.x

NoHSpeed to dabonz7

Anon

to dabonz7
I have been on hold waiting to speak to a Rogers support agent for 1hr 10min. Home interest and cell phone browser not loading. I'm in Midtown Toronto. I'm happy to have found this forum using my corporate BB (Telus).
Going to be and reading an old fashion book!
Make sure to contact Rogers for a credit tomorrow.
Goodnight and hope the fairies resolve the issues as we sleep

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to dabonz7

to dabonz7
System-wide outage, according to Canadian Press and CBC. As for compensation, have you never had a power outage with Hydro One or NB Power? They never compensate. Mind you, they are metered. You don't pay for what you don't use.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Wind Mobile's data was down yesterday. The end is near?

Were you Wind Home or Wind Away? Wind Away uses Roger's wireless network and it would make sense that it was affected by this as well.

lulzsssss
@start.ca

lulzsssss to ToxicD

Anon

to ToxicD
said by ToxicD :

I've had several major outages with Rogers in Toronto in the past 6 months. Last time was told that they will allow me to cancel my services if there were to be another outage. Called in today after not being able to connect to internet and wireless all evening. They refused to cancel my services. Next step is to take it to the OOP. If that fails, will take them to small claims court. This BS has to stop. I don't care about credits (have none on my account). I just want to have a reliable service, and I am willing to pay for it.

You can't goto court over it. They don't promise it will be up all the time.

And any credits you will get will be:

Monthly Fee /30/24
*6 (for the 4 hours it was down)

So if you had extreme cable your credit would be
HammerofGawd
join:2012-06-30

HammerofGawd to dabonz7

to dabonz7
If the phones are rejecting your call, there is a major issue in play. Hang up and wait for a resolution. Read a book. Walk the dog.

If you want an internet service up 100% of the time you are going to pay alot more than you are now to Bell Nexia or some such and even then you wont get a 100% uptime guarantee on a residential zoned property.

How far do you think $50-100 a month gets you? The service is up 99% of the time. The EULA you agree to makes no guarantees of 100% uptime. Last time I checked, the world is not a perfect place.

People: get a grip.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

1 recommendation

Ian1

Premium Member

said by HammerofGawd:

If you want an internet service up 100% of the time you are going to pay alot more than you are now to Bell Nexia or some such and even then you wont get a 100% uptime guarantee on a residential zoned property.

How far do you think $50-100 a month gets you? The service is up 99% of the time. The EULA you agree to makes no guarantees of 100% uptime. Last time I checked, the world is not a perfect place.

People: get a grip.

I think the criticism being leveled here is that a national ISP seems to have a remarkably fragile network setup with little fault tolerance.

They have setup their network to have ONE, and only only one, DNS server for their paying customers. So if that has problems, this is what happens. There's a reason why Windows, Linux, and every modem and router on the planet allows for alternate DNS server entry.