how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yesse

join:2004-05-09
Debary, FL

Netopia 3347 import/export config

I have a failing 3347-1006 and I'm replacing it with a 3347-1022. The config from my 1006 has been successfully uploaded via telnet to TFTP server. I want to download that config to the new 1022 but they are not exact models and have different firmware (and I assume settings as well). Do any of the experts here on the forum think there will be any problem regarding this?

I know that I can always revert to default settings but was curious if anyone has done this before with success.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

said by yesse:

I have a failing 3347-1006 and I'm replacing it with a 3347-1022. The config from my 1006 has been successfully uploaded via telnet to TFTP server. I want to download that config to the new 1022 but they are not exact models and have different firmware (and I assume settings as well). Do any of the experts here on the forum think there will be any problem regarding this?

I know that I can always revert to default settings but was curious if anyone has done this before with success.

The 3347 config file is actually a text script file containing all of the config commands that the router loads at startup.

Shown below are a few (edited) lines from a real 3347:that is under my control:

set dmt autoConfig on
set dmt type multi
set atm option on
set atm vcc 1 option on
set atm vcc 1 vpi 0
set atm vcc 1 vci 0
set atm vcc 1 encap pppoe-llc
set atm vcc 1 pppoe-sessions 1
set atm vcc 1 qos service-class ubr
set atm vcc 1 qos peak-cell-rate 0
set bridge sys-bridge off
set bridge concurrent-bridging-routing off
set bridge table-timeout 30
set dhcp option server
set dhcp start-address 192.168.1.32
set dhcp end-address 192.168.1.95
set dhcp lease-time 00:01:00:00
set dhcp reserved ip-address 192.168.1.100 mac-address 00-23-69-12-34-56
set dns proxy-enable on
set dns domain-name ""
set dns primary-address 0.0.0.0
set dns secondary-address 0.0.0.0
set dslf-cpewan option off
set dslf-lanmgmt option off
set dynamic-dns option dyndns.org
set dynamic-dns ddns-host-name "my3347.dyndns-office.com"
set dynamic-dns ddns-user-name "myddnsaccount"
set dynamic-dns ddns-user-password "mypassword"

All you need to do is open your saved file with a text editor and see if you see anything that you think might be incompatible (and delete or edit that command line). However in reality, if some specific command is not compatible with your new 3347, all that would happen is that config command simply would not be executed.

FWIW, I have on several occasions migrated Netopia 2210 and 2241 config files to Netopia 3347s by simply doing minor massaging of a few commands in the config file, so the different suffix and firmware versions of your two 3347s are probably not going to be a problem.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

hyphenated

@bellsouth.net
reply to yesse

I tried that once. Don't remember the exact models but were similar. It didn't turn out well. I didn't have time to figure out why.

yesse

Debary, FL
reply to yesse

Thanks for your input. I will do my best to share the results when the new modem arrives and the config has been uploaded. Hopefully all goes well.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

said by yesse:

Thanks for your input. I will do my best to share the results when the new modem arrives and the config has been uploaded. Hopefully all goes well.

One thing to watch out for is that I have noticed that when "restoring" the config to a new router, the PPPoE password doesn't always get restored. So make sure you know your PPPoE password, or be prepared to have to go through AT&T's password reset procedure (a PITA).

For example, in the config file I previously posted, the PPPoE password config line looks like this:
set ppp module vcc1 port-authentication password "******"
I suspect that if I had to use that saved config file to restore to the same or a new router, the password would literally be entered as "******".

This seems to be a fairly common symptom with soho grade routers. My D-Link DIR655 does this for its admin password, both of my Vonage routers do it for their admin passwords, and my old Cisco RV082 did it for both PPPoE passwords and for the router admin password.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

yesse

Debary, FL
reply to yesse

Well I successfully uploaded the 1006 config to the 1022. Everything was smooth as silk with the exception of the local admin password and, as you mentioned Netfixer, the PPPOE password. Those were trivial problems since I already expected that issue and had both in hand.

There were a couple of command that were not recognized but I'm not too concerned about them. I think they are related to the VPN functionality of the device...which I'm not using. All in all I'm very happy with the transiton....all circuit information remained intact as well as pinholes and MAC authorization addresses.

The only gripe so far is that the downstream SNR went down to 9 from a solid 12 which is weird as no other equipment was changed or relocated.

Netopia-3000/157088291648> download

*** WARNING *** YOU ARE ABOUT TO DOWNLOAD A CONFIGURATION FILE.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ALL THE NECESSARY INFORMATION (TFTP SERVER IP-ADDRESS
AND FILENAME) YOU MAY CANCEL THE INSTALLATION NOW.

Do you wish to proceed? (type `yes' to confirm): yes

Enter TFTP server IP address: 192.168.1.1
Enter file path of file to download: 1006

About to download configuration file:
server: 192.168.1.1
file: "1006"

Should file download proceed with this information?
(type `yes' to confirm): yes

Downloading...

File download was successful.

Replace existing configuration with downloaded configuration? (type `yes' to confirm): yes
Error: Command ('acs-filter1-ip') not found

Error: Command ('acs-filter1-mask') not found

Error: Command ('acs-filter2-ip') not found

Error: Command ('acs-filter2-mask') not found

Error: Command ('acs-filter3-ip') not found

Error: Command ('acs-filter3-mask') not found

Error: Command ('daylight-savings') not accessible

Configuration data saved.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by yesse:

The only gripe so far is that the downstream SNR went down to 9 from a solid 12 which is weird as no other equipment was changed or relocated.

Chances are that the actual downstream SNR is actually still the same, but one (or both) of the modems is just misreporting it. The Netopia 3347 is one of the better quality DSL routers, but it is not a calibrated line test tool. When I had two DSL circuits, I would occasionally need to swap modems between the two circuits for troubleshooting purposes; and I would notice that the line levels that were reported would often change when the modems were swapped.

I have a spare D-Link cable modem, and when I put it into service for testing and to register it with Comcast, the line levels were about 3db different than my primary Motorola modem on the same connection and same coax patch cable. I have no idea which one of them (or if either of them) is accurate. As long as the modem maintains sync, life is good.
--