nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to sk1939

Re: Poco infrastructure question

The cast iron in my house is failing after 53 years. Unfortunately for me, I literally pushed a hole in the pipe with my finger one day.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to leibold
One of my rent houses was built in 55. We just pulled a permit to replace the orangeburg. It has severely deformed to the point that the 4" pipe is less than 2" tall in some places. Have another house of same age and have leak in cast iron from rust through.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by robbin:

One of my rent houses was built in 55. We just pulled a permit to replace the orangeburg. It has severely deformed to the point that the 4" pipe is less than 2" tall in some places. Have another house of same age and have leak in cast iron from rust through.

Our previous house that we rented (built in 1949) had horrible plumbing. The toilet was always backing up. The town was notorious for orangeburg as you were always seeing yards being dug up because of orangeburg. I suspect our old house had orangeburg.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

You sure you weren't simply getting proper draining because it was just seeping into the soil underneath?

Could be. It crumbled as it was pulled out... it could have been riddled with cracks and holes for all I really know. But it was problem free for 40 years.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

The cast iron in my house is failing after 53 years. Unfortunately for me, I literally pushed a hole in the pipe with my finger one day.

We sold my my Mom's house a few months ago. It was built in 1961 with cast drain lines. During the buyer's inspection they found that the cast had rusted out and failed in multiple places; we had to replace it.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jack b
said by jack b:

This style meter is commonly used when supplying 2 phase service to a customer from a standard 3 phase 120/208V distribution system.

So phase-to-ground would be 120V and phase-to-phase would still be 208V, wouldn't it?

I was thinking it might be the "house" meter, for common area lighting, maybe a fire alarm system and other small loads on a minimum-cost service that would never need 208 or 240V circuits.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
Yup, 120 V to neutral, 208 V to phase. The meter is rated for 200 amps, the load could be anything up to that.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to ArgMeMatey
said by ArgMeMatey:

said by jack b:

This style meter is commonly used when supplying 2 phase service to a customer from a standard 3 phase 120/208V distribution system.

So phase-to-ground would be 120V and phase-to-phase would still be 208V, wouldn't it?

Exactly what we have throughout NYC, and likewise throughout many other cities. Its single-phase 208/120V power, not 'two-phase'.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
said by whizkid3:

Its single-phase 208/120V power, not 'two-phase'.

Thank you. I was wondering how you'd measure 2 phases on a 120V meter. Getting confused with 240V grounded B phase.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
said by ArgMeMatey:

said by whizkid3:

Its single-phase 208/120V power, not 'two-phase'.

Thank you. I was wondering how you'd measure 2 phases on a 120V meter. Getting confused with 240V grounded B phase.

Is that delta...??

Or are you referring to a "high leg" system?

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
said by John Galt:

Is that delta...??

Or are you referring to a "high leg" system?

aka Corner-Grounded Delta. I just looked that up because I'm no expert. One transformer with three secondary taps. One tap (B) grounded. So A & C are 240V to ground.

Advantages:
- cheaper 2-pole gear can be used all down the line
- there are only three conductors just like split phase 240V
- B phase does not have to be (and CANNOT be) switched or fused.

But this is not what the OP has.

Also I ran across something on Wikipedia that mentioned that the old power station at Niagara Falls was two-phase. Maybe that was where I'd heard that before.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
4-wire, 3-phase 208/120 from a wye secondary on a transformer. Tie into any two phase conductors and the neutral, and you have single-phase 120/208. (Regardless of what they were doing in Niagara Falls ages ago.)