Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

Touchscreen monitor...

I bought a new laptop with windows 8 and it kinda feels silly to me. I feel like I'm using an android phone with a mouse. Anyways, I just recently built my desktop and was wondering if anyone here has an opinion on buying a touch screen monitor for it? Or more to the point, would I just be wasting my money as far as not having a practical, everyday use for it? I really like this monitor btw. »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···24009438
--

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

It will be useful for Windows 8. Older OS -- not so much.

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

said by aurgathor:

It will be useful for Windows 8. Older OS -- not so much.

That's what I'll be using. I have the anytime upgrade for $39.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

1 edit

Some people don't know that Windows 7 also supported touchscreen. See:

»www.kodyaz.com/touchscreen/windo···s-7.aspx

Nothing new in this regard in Windows 8. I bought a touchscreen monitor when I installed Windows 8, just to have the option available should I wish to use touch. Why not?

Freddy

Edit: I purchased this monitor, because it best fit my budget:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHtnxXG7gGI

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

said by Freddy:

Some people don't know that Windows 7 also supported touchscreen. See:

»www.kodyaz.com/touchscreen/windo···s-7.aspx

Nothing new in this regard in Windows 8.

Support was there even earlier, but that's not particularly relevant.

The issue with Win8 that it's easier and quicker to use it with a touch screen.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to bobjohnson

Oh great, now we're all gonna have to live with greasy, grubby screens, sore arms, and broken monitors? I was happiest with the old school trackballs back in the day. I have the tremors so not so good now though.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by signmeuptoo:

Oh great, now we're all gonna have to live with greasy, grubby screens, sore arms, and broken monitors?

No, no one is going to HAVE to do any such thing.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to Freddy

said by Freddy:

Some people don't know that Windows 7 also supported

I know that win 7 supports the touchscreen but I never found a need for it. With Windows 8 it just doesn't seem right with a mouse.

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Oh great, now we're all gonna have to live with greasy, grubby screens, sore arms, and broken monitors? I was happiest with the old school trackballs back in the day. I have the tremors so not so good now though.

Greasy, grubby screen is my main concern with this idea. I don't like fingerprints on my 4" screens I am definitely not gonna like it on my 23"...
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

With the exception of some badly written metro apps, even with win 8 you don't need a touchscreen. Some of the metro apps don't work correctly with a mouse, and keyboard, hence badly written.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
reply to bobjohnson

All,

Remember, you also can use a stylus with a touchscreen, rather than only using fingers. No mess, no grubby screen.

Freddy

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

said by Freddy:

All,

Remember, you also can use a stylus with a touchscreen, rather than only using fingers. No mess, no grubby screen.

Freddy

What about multi-touch? Like gestures and such. That's kinda hard with a stylus.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to bobjohnson

This deal has likely long since past but have a look if you're interested:

Deals for January 2nd - Planar Helium 27-in 1080p Touchscreen LED-Backlit LCD Display $699

I have heard that there either are or will be USB devices that one can add to an existing display to add touch input. I recall about hearing about one such device for Apple computers as well as PC,….

I have some touch devices and I think its fine for the products that need it as its primary input option,…..I'm not nearly as interested in touch on desktop systems,….

I mean,….why,….

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

said by Octavean:

I mean,….why,….

I like the idea of using touch for my desktop, but I am just not sure if I will actually use it (or be able to) for anything other than just the metro interface. If that's the case I may save my $.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Examples of how you can add touch to existing monitors:

»www.engadget.com/2012/09/17/zorr···-review/

»www.ezscreen.com/instant-touch.htm

»www.magictouch.com/addon.html

And if you are good with your hands you might want to consider something like this:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJU8sBt7eC8

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VNTPwVv···lts_main

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
reply to bobjohnson

I dunno. I like my Android phone, but I'm afraid my cats would have things REALLY screwed up if I had a TS on my computer!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

said by rusdi:

I dunno. I like my Android phone, but I'm afraid my cats would have things REALLY screwed up if I had a TS on my computer!

I use Rainmeter on my HP TouchSmart and sometimes the cats wander by the screen and the next thing I know, my desktop has been rearranged!

And then there's the summer time -- when my Firefox browser tabs would mysteriously disappear because some gnat would hover/land juuuuuust right on the screen
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
reply to bobjohnson

This might turn out to be better than multitouch screens, and cheaper to boot. »leapmotion.com/product

I look forward to seeing how it works.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

reply to bobjohnson

I'm using the Dell branded 23" touchscreen monitor with Windows 7 at home and at work and love it. As I only have one hand that I can type with, the touchscreen makes it faster for me to do things that a mouse requires too much room for and a touchpad isn't as fluid to do.

I would have already upgraded to Windows 8 but I'm waiting on a critical piece of software I use to get a Win 8 version before I can make the jump.

NefCanuck

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
reply to bobjohnson

I ordered it anyways. I'm gonna see how it goes. Thank you for all the advice