Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to coolcat120

Premium Member

to coolcat120

Re: Youtube slow buffer.

said by coolcat120:

I cannot be the only one who has this problem where that has TWC...am I? Why is it so slow to buffer 720/1080p? Is it me, YouTube or TWC at fault here?

I tried the method talked about here: »www.reddit.com/r/technol ··· ontext=1

But it doesn't work for me when I try to block that IP.

I have 30/5 internet and every other web activity is fine just as downloading torrents and streaming to twitch. Its just that darned YouTube. Thanks for reading ;p

Pay that link no attention, sir. Just some idiot with an online degree making unfounded accusations against Joe Big Corporation with no technical basis or knowledge. Don't feed the troll. It makes them grow bigger and more annoying to us who actually have some background.

So, no, TWC is not in bed with Google to secretly throttle you(TWC could do that without any redirection, if they were determined to). Those IP addresses are part of what is known as a CDN or content distribution network. In short, they are a set of servers that host the content in geographically distributed locations. Many are locally peered to your ISP. In theory, this should speed things up while reducing transit costs. In practice, there are factors on this wonderful internet that can affect performance between you and any given server. Theory says the closer, the better, but routing, server load, internal ISP issues, bad peers, etc can come into play and make it not so in a particular case.

I do not recommend blocking IPs to a big CDN like XO. These servers can be recycled or their IPs shifted, thus breaking something down the road you may never expect or suspect your blocking put into place a year or 2 ago might be the culprit. I would suggest what a previous poster said, as an interim solution, which is to change DNS servers. The DNS server consults the CDN's DNS host and gives you the IP of its closest few CDN servers(rotated for load balancing, if implemented correctly, but not always the case, as your ISP's server may cache stale entries if configured improperly).

That being said, I tried several 1080p videos on my Debian Squeeze laptop logged into my wifi network(for which TWC is the ISP with the 15/1 package) and had no issues whatsoever. I was actually fairly impressed with the quality. That being said, I never use TWC's DNS servers. The past DDoS attacks on them and subsequent outages in the past left a stale taste in my mouth. Plus, I wanted IPv6 support, which Google, OpenDNS, and Level3 all have. I know TWC don't support IPv6, but I have a miredo tunnel installed that forwards IPv6 traffic. Only catch 22 is your DNS needs to support AAAA records, which TWC's DNS will not. Good luck!
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

1 recommendation

91862239 (banned)

i did some investigating and found out twc is in cahoots with google

btw i am a great investigator i have watched every tv detective show since kojack so i know what im doing
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced

said by 91862239:

i did some investigating and found out twc is in cahoots with google

btw i am a great investigator i have watched every tv detective show since kojack so i know what im doing

This would almost be funny if it wasn't for your post history and the fact you probably actually believe this.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Take a joke lol. It was funny. The guy in the link prolly watched too much CNET TV and thinks he's an expert.
coolcat120
join:2007-04-13

coolcat120

OK I wont do what I linked in the original post. I want to update you guys that its not just YouTube that is slow but any other video hosting website such as vimeo.com and giantbomb.com

I tried changing DNS servers to Googles and opneDNS but it didn't help.

I don't know what else to do. Sigh.
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned)

try any of these dns i found them using dns bench