join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Black Box

Re: Salary Research for Negotiation

^^ +1 ^^

Unfortunately in life you have to play the cards your dealt with, make sure all conversations are documented with hard copies via email, even if it was a verbal request, this way you have a record of your work.

Stop worrying about all the "other" groups and just focus on making your boss happy, he is the only one that decides your pay.

One last thought, while the bosses boss may have given you much praise in the past, for some reason, it is necessary to have a supervisor between you?, that raises a red flag.

Since you seem to have a strained relationship with your boss, I would really be careful on what you do to attempt a salary increase. Ask yourself the question is my current pay better than no pay, might seem over the top, but just remember, the boss you have may not appreciate you pointing out flaws or inequity's in his method of assigning pay rates, and he could find it easier to get rid of you ( and bring in someone new at lower rate ) than allow your documentation putting him in an unfavorable light ... as I said 80K with no degrees or certifications is not something one can find if unemployed in IT

I have a nephew in a call center environment, very IT savvy and about 10 years experience, he has told me a few time the stand operational practice is to get rid of ANY senor people as its much cheaper to just keep bringing in new people than letting salary creep take it hold. I know every place is different but thought a little prospective would help ground your thinking

OHN

join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI
kudos:1

4 edits

OHN

Appleton, WI

1 edit
reply to Black Box

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium
join:2005-05-02
us
reply to OHN

said by OHN:

Last thing, I already applied at a couple places and was offered 80k for the Business Systems Analyst position (I would actually do less than I do now). I turned it down because I first wanted to try work things out with my current employer. Keep in mind where you and I live as the cost of living will be different.

Wow you turned down 80k??????? that's nothing to sneeze at
--
Think Ahead. Learn More. Solve Now!

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

said by Modus:

said by OHN:

Last thing, I already applied at a couple places and was offered 80k for the Business Systems Analyst position (I would actually do less than I do now). I turned it down because I first wanted to try work things out with my current employer. Keep in mind where you and I live as the cost of living will be different.

Wow you turned down 80k??????? that's nothing to sneeze at

Yeah 80 with no degree and no certs is pretty good. Once I'm done with school (for a 4 year IS degree) and with some non-A+ certs and 5+ years experience, I'll be happy to pull 70 or 75 in an as-yet-undetermined administrative or managerial IT position.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

said by Oedipus:

Yeah 80 with no degree and no certs is pretty good.

he had 20+ years of experience.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by AVD:

said by Oedipus:

Anything over 7+ years in IT does mean much as the technology is constantly changing. I wish the OP best in his venture for better pay!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

with 20 under his belt, it show he can adapt and adopt

OHN

Appleton, WI

2 edits
reply to Modus

OHN

Appleton, WI

4 edits
reply to AVD

Thank you all for contributing to this thread though. I think it served its purpose.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

said by Oedipus:

Yes, and that likely factors in to his current pay grade.

dgass

join:2007-09-27
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

reply to OHN

»www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/21···id_more/

have a read.

I was in the same boat as you 6 months ago. I switch companies and couldn't be happier.