Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to danman48

Re: Fios Media Server

I also have another question:

I thought that these boxes were going to be hooked up via Ethernet and WiFi? For example, the Media Server would be connected to the router by Ethernet, and the client boxes would connect via WiFi or Ethernet, so one could Velcro thm to your TV.

They even had a video last year about this. I have it bookmarked. It showed a 3D channel being streamed wirelessly to a client box attached to a tv being rolled down a hallway. Does anyone remember this?

So, in addition , ask them if this is the correct setup , or will it have to be coax? Even though they said the former. Or if there will be a software/firmware update to enable that.

Thanks.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
said by Webcobbler :

I thought that these boxes were going to be hooked up via Ethernet and WiFi? For example, the Media Server would be connected to the router by Ethernet, and the client boxes would connect via WiFi or Ethernet, so one could Velcro thm to your TV.

They even had a video last year about this. I have it bookmarked. It showed a 3D channel being streamed wirelessly to a client box attached to a tv being rolled down a hallway. Does anyone remember this?

So, in addition , ask them if this is the correct setup , or will it have to be coax? Even though they said the former. Or if there will be a software/firmware update to enable that.

Thanks.

Read back through the thread, nycdave See Profile offers some nice insight on your questions.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to Webcobbler
said by Webcobbler :

Thanks.

I think I know which video you're talking about, and even in that video Verizon was pretty clear about this - initially the hookups will be wired. When it first comes out, you'll need a coax connection to the satellite boxes. But eventually (not sure when) they'll allow for wireless connectivity. They've always said that the initial configuration will be wired.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to Webcobbler
These are the 2 videos I was talking about earlier. They show and explain that the Media Server and client boxes are or will be hooked up via Ethernet directly, or WiFi. IMHO, it cuts the cord on Coax.

The question is then... Coax is the initial setup, then will a software/firmware update come to enable Ethernet and WiFI, as well as streaming all subscribed channels and DVR / freeVOD to the iPad etc?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=QogfVxts···youtu.be

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dCi6ul1···youtu.be

I know I might have reiterated my questions or statements from earlier, and I apologize.

Thanks

Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX
I would assume those features will be down the line since we know its going to a staged rollout