how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pacpac

join:2011-12-18
kudos:1

How to find ISP modems' gateway IP?

Hi, I have 2 DSL lines connected to a Linksys RV042 dual WAN router (same ISP). How can I find the gateway IP on each of the two DSL modems supplied by my ISP? Thanks

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by pacpac:

Hi, I have 2 DSL lines connected to a Linksys RV042 dual WAN router (same ISP). How can I find the gateway IP on each of the two DSL modems supplied by my ISP? Thanks

That depends on what DSL "modems" are being used, and how your RV042 is configured to use them.

If you really want answers (instead of random wild guesses from multiple posters), how about providing some useful information that can be used to help you.

Who is your ISP?

Does your ISP use PPPoE?

Are the "modems" actually modems, or are they DSL gateway routers?

If the "modems" are actually DSL gateway routers, are they configured to be bridge modems, or full NAT routers (and if they are being used as NAT routers, are they in an IP pass through mode)?

Are you using DHCP, Static IP, or PPPoE for your RV042 WAN interfaces?
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

pacpac

The 2 modems are Motorola Surfboards, one is model SB 5100 and the other one is model SB 5101. ISP is Supercable amd do not use PPPoE, configured in un-bridged mode, the RV042 is connected using dynamic IPs, "Obtain an IP automatically".

I have a problem with the RV042 (firmware 1.3.13.02-tm), the internet connection stops working for no obvious reason 1-2 times every 24 hours. I need to restart the RV042 to get the connection up and running. The 2 dynamic IPs does not change very often (not changed for the last 6-8 months, at least), and I am trying to configure the RV042 as 'Static IP' for each WAN to see if that helps to maintain the connection. This is why I need the DSL modem's gateway IP, their subnet mask is 255.255.252.0.

Look forward to hear how to fine the gateway IPs.

engineercarl
Premium
join:2003-02-24
20026-4474
reply to pacpac

I have seen exceptions, but if you took your currently leased IP address, and replaced the last octet with a "1", I'll bet you find the gateway IP.

pacpac

Thanks. I set the last octet to "1", which did not work. Then I tried to set the last number in the third part to '0' whilst keeping the '1', i.e. xxx.xxx.xx0.1 This seems to work for both lines.

Is it best to use the ISP's DNS servers or can I just use Google's or OpenDNS?

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal
reply to pacpac

to start, you seem more to use Cable than DSL.

then, if your ISP is using DHCP for ip assignment, dont set your rv042 static.You will get issue with that, even if the ip change rarely.

The issue you seem to have is similar than the one I had with my old rv042... my solution? Replace..
--
Rogers - iPhone 4s 32gb

engineercarl
Premium
join:2003-02-24
20026-4474
reply to pacpac

While the connection is usable, can you run a traceroute to yahoo or something? Usually the second IP address you see (other than your own Dynamically assigned IP) would be the gateway.

Using the supplied DNS versus a wide-open one like Google or Open DNS is a matter of personal taste. Some ISP's I have seen take your 404's and redirect them somewhere where they (the ISP) make ad revenue. My personal opinion is that is playing dirty pool.

I personally use OpenDNS, and have had no complaints.

Carl

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to pacpac

said by pacpac:

The 2 modems are Motorola Surfboards, one is model SB 5100 and the other one is model SB 5101. ISP is Supercable amd do not use PPPoE, configured in un-bridged mode, the RV042 is connected using dynamic IPs, "Obtain an IP automatically".

I have a problem with the RV042 (firmware 1.3.13.02-tm), the internet connection stops working for no obvious reason 1-2 times every 24 hours. I need to restart the RV042 to get the connection up and running. The 2 dynamic IPs does not change very often (not changed for the last 6-8 months, at least), and I am trying to configure the RV042 as 'Static IP' for each WAN to see if that helps to maintain the connection. This is why I need the DSL modem's gateway IP, their subnet mask is 255.255.252.0.

Look forward to hear how to fine the gateway IPs.

First, you do not have DSL, your modems are cable modems.

If your RV042 WANs are setup to use DHCP, the gateway should be listed in the RV042's System Statistics page as shown in the image below. That image is actually from a dual DSL connection using PPPoE, but the ISP's gateway will show there for your cable internet DHCP connections as well.

FWIW, you do not want to try to configure a dynamic IP cable internet connection as a static IP. As soon as the ISP's DHCP leases for your MAC addresses expires, you will lose your connection, and it won't come back. If you feel that you really need static IP addresses, you need to contact your ISP and see if they can/will change your accounts to static IP accounts. If they can/will do that, they will provide you with the proper gateway and netmask to use. Doing it your way, you are just asking for problems.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

MarkDavid

join:2012-11-19
Houston, TX
reply to pacpac

you can find the solution of your problem in the guide line book which is provided by your ISP

pacpac

reply to pacpac

Thanks to all for valuable input. I will try the Static IP configuration (as per the 'Log -> System Statistics' page) w/OpenDNS to see if that solves the issue of having the RV042 to be up for at least 48 hours. If so, it might be an issue with the RV042 and Dynamic IP configuration. If the RV042 issue is Static vs Dynamic configuration, I need to a) request Static IPs or b) get a new dual WAN router...