Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya

Re: Poco infrastructure question

said by nunya:

"Orangeberg" conduit (Fiber conduit). It's made out of paper (pulp) and pitch.

I heard at one time they used to use it for water and sewer pipe. I couldn't imagine it lasting more than a few years.

A rental I own needed some driveway drainage work done a summer or two ago, and the piping that took the driveway water out to the drainage area was Orangeburg. It was clogged and broken down and finally needed replacement (which we replaced with PVC).

But I can date it back to at least 1970 (and maybe back farther, but I can't verify that).... so that's 40+ years of service before needing to be replaced. I don't think that's bad at all for fiber pipe. I hadn't ever heard of Orangeburg until then. I thought it was kinda neat to see actually.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

so that's 40+ years of service before needing to be replaced. I don't think that's bad at all for fiber pipe. I hadn't ever heard of Orangeburg until then. I thought it was kinda neat to see actually.

You sure you weren't simply getting proper draining because it was just seeping into the soil underneath?

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

so that's 40+ years of service before needing to be replaced.

The entire neighborhood where I live has been build in the early 50's with orangeburg sewer lines (typically just from the city sewer line to the foundation of the home). In the 90's (and before) a lot of those sewers were being replaced which would match your 40 year service live estimate. I'm not sure whether any of the old orangeburg remains but the topic of sewer line replacement has only come up very rarely in the last decade while it was a hot topic before.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

One of my rent houses was built in 55. We just pulled a permit to replace the orangeburg. It has severely deformed to the point that the 4" pipe is less than 2" tall in some places. Have another house of same age and have leak in cast iron from rust through.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by robbin:

One of my rent houses was built in 55. We just pulled a permit to replace the orangeburg. It has severely deformed to the point that the 4" pipe is less than 2" tall in some places. Have another house of same age and have leak in cast iron from rust through.

Our previous house that we rented (built in 1949) had horrible plumbing. The toilet was always backing up. The town was notorious for orangeburg as you were always seeing yards being dug up because of orangeburg. I suspect our old house had orangeburg.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

You sure you weren't simply getting proper draining because it was just seeping into the soil underneath?

Could be. It crumbled as it was pulled out... it could have been riddled with cracks and holes for all I really know. But it was problem free for 40 years.