how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

would these cat7 Cables be better then the monoprice cat6a?

if they are better i will be upgrading all my cables asap

»www.koutech.com/proddetail.asp?l···mber=597

CAT 7 SSTP Patch Networking LAN Ethernet Cable

Specifications:
Category 7 (Cat7) is the next generation of networking. These network cables transmit data at a blazing speed of 600MHz for distance up to 100 meters. Shielding is added to every individual wire pairs and the cable as a whole to ensure the strictest NEXT and SRL performance are met. Produce from the same factory as the Sanwa Supply of Japan and a must have for applications running 10 gigabit Ethernet.

• Backward compatible with traditional CAT5 and CAT6 Ethernet networks
• Designed for network adapters, hubs, switches, routers, DSL/Cable modems, patch panels and other twisted-pair applications
• 24K gold plated connector shielding
• Conductor: 27AWG x 4 Pairs Stranded Copper
• Standards: ISO/IEC 11801; TIA/EIA-568-B.2-1

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

Are they better built? Technically speaking yes.

Are you going to see any difference in using these at gigabit speeds verse CAT6, 6a even 5a? No.

You will get the same speeds between the two cables.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to DelmarPip

unless you just want to spend money and go through the hassle of replacing wires, then yes...

even cat5e will suffice for the next 5 years at least or even more...

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

2 recommendations

reply to DelmarPip

Someone may correct me, but I don't believe Cat 7 cables actually exist since Cat 7 hasn't been officially ratified by TIA. There are some cables that might meet some proposed specs, or specs that might be compatible, but nothing official.

The fact that the description says "These network cables transmit data at a blazing speed of 600MHz for distance up to 100 meters" tells me that the site is full of marketing bullchit. MHz isn't a measure of speed. It's a measure of frequency. It can go to determine what capacity the wire has to transmit data, however the adapters on each end also have to operate at a higher frequency. Any 10/100/1000 mbit adapter that you have is going to work perfectly fine on Cat5e/6/6a cable so you will not realize any performance advantage. You won't magically get a faster connection unless your previous cables were poorly constructed.

The other thing is that since these are SSTP (Screened Shielded Twisted Pair) is that, unless your network equipment specifically is designed for shielded cable, all that shielding acts like a giant antenna. Most consumer network equipment isn't designed for shielded cables.

Since you're asking here, I'm going to presume that you are not using the cables in a corporate or professional scenario. So at best, you're wasting your money. And at worst, you're hurting your network performance.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to DelmarPip

If your Network is operating at gigabit speeds, then Cat 5e is all you need.

If you have upgraded to 10 gig ethernet, the Cat 6 is limited to 55 meters, while Cat 6A and Cat 7 go 100 meters. If not, Cat 5e is cheaper and way more pleasant to deal with.

if "all" your users need 10 gig ethernet, then they need more than Cat 5e.
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

DelmarPip
Premium
Brownsville, TX

yes gigabit speeds and we need faster but seriously no 1 uses cat5 anymore its severly outdated

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by DelmarPip:

no 1 uses cat5 anymore its severly outdated

Nor did anyone recommend Cat 5. It has not been a standard since 2001. You cannot make gigabit any faster or more reliable than it is on Cat 5e.

To need Cat6, Cat 6A, Cat 7, or Cat 7A, your network needs to be faster than gigabit.
--

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to DelmarPip

Cat5 may be outdated, but Cat5e is still current and still being installed in new construction. Cat5e works just fine at Gigabit speeds, when properly installed.

As to your original question, you will see no improvement with new cables if your existing cable is Cat5e (or better). If your existing cable is Cat5 or older, then an upgrade is recommended.

medbuyer

reply to DelmarPip

said by DelmarPip:

yes gigabit speeds and we need faster but seriously no 1 uses cat5 anymore its severly outdated

what exactly are you running that's in gig speeds and needs more? are you constantly transferring / downloading files? and all of your hardware are supporting gig speeds?

if you're only wanting this for gaming...you're bottleneck will be your internet connection and that might be true for anything else anyway...

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

said by medbuyer:

said by DelmarPip:

what exactly are you running that's in gig speeds and needs more? are you constantly transferring / downloading files? and all of your hardware are supporting gig speeds?

if you're only wanting this for gaming...you're bottleneck will be your internet connection and that might be true for anything else anyway...

i am willing to bet that his network (thread starter) has other bottlenecks that are causing slow transfer speeds.

medbuyer

said by tomdlgns:

i am willing to bet that his network (thread starter) has other bottlenecks that are causing slow transfer speeds.

his post history show hints of gaming and torrents so take his posts with a grain of salt....

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

said by medbuyer:

said by tomdlgns:

his post history show hints of gaming and torrents so take his posts with a grain of salt....

So basically then, one can summarize.......
Installing Cat7 cables will not make up for the Ops lack of gaming skill.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to medbuyer

said by medbuyer:

Ha! I went the other way and looked up industries on South Padre Island TX, and found none. It is is a tourist trap. No businesses implies no business use for ethernet.

I am glad my assessment of youth with no idea about networking is confirmed.
--

DelmarPip
Premium
Brownsville, TX
reply to DelmarPip

ok i ordered the cables im gona upgrade all the cables i got il leave a review by next week

medbuyer

said by jimbopalmer:

I am glad my assessment of youth with no idea about networking is confirmed.

said by DelmarPip:

ok i ordered the cables im gona upgrade all the cables i got il leave a review by next week

and the OP went for the plunge....

jimbopalmer See Profile you have got to read his reviews, might be insightful help for faster torrenting and help with the lackluster gaming skills...OR maybe, he's got a rental property that needs the ultimate gig connection..but then again, Google fiber isn't available either in South Padre.

if I were in his location, I'd spend my hours in the beach...

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Whatever modem he has, has a Cat 5e jack on it, whatever consumer router has has, has all Cat 5e jacks. I would be 99.9% sure whatever NIC he has has a Cat 5e jack on it. He will not be testing a Cat 7 system until he uses all Cat 7 parts.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···odwwMAGg

I could be wrong. I have been wrong before. (In 1992 I bet that fiber would replace Cat5)
--

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to DelmarPip

said by DelmarPip:

Category 7 (Cat7) is the next generation of networking. These network cables transmit data at a blazing speed of 600MHz for distance up to 100 meters.

10tonne B*lls**t Alarm System activated.

As others have said, Cat7 is not (yet) an OFFICIAL standard. Hope you're still within your return period
to get your money back. Otherwise, you're the latest contestant under the Column "There's A Sucker Born
Every Minute."

My 00000010bits

Regards

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to DelmarPip

I am aware that Cat 7 is somewhere in committee, and Greenwood MS is not the center of the networking universe so it maybe farther along than I think. I would be surprised, but not amazed, if it was a Standard now.

600Mhz is the right buzzword for a potential Cat 7 cable, I am not having trouble believing the specs. It will have no performance differences at 1 gig and below, so for my customers it is moot. I expect it to be thick and hard to route in confined spaces, but so was 10base-5 ethernet and we lived through that.

I hate pre-standard Standards, but wireless 802.11n did finally turn out OK.

It will be interesting if the OP's "review" includes wire certification.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_cab···fication
--

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to jimbopalmer

(In 1992 I bet that fiber would replace Cat5)

Give it more time. This has been increasingly true in the carrier / data center space (some 1G, all 10G and beyond.) Fiber will never be popular for desktop computing as it's too complicated and far to easy to break.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by cramer:

Fiber will never be popular for desktop computing as it's too complicated and far to easy to break.

Yes, FDDI to the desktop never worked out for us.
--

medbuyer

1 recommendation

reply to DelmarPip

to the OP...

really looking forward to your review....

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to jimbopalmer

If we're honest, 10base2 wasn't too rosy either. Crushed cables, nicked shielding, BNC ends pulled off, the occasional "removed terminator" and "replug it" bad connections... (the same problems I still deal with for RF cabling)

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to cramer

said by cramer:

Give it more time. This has been increasingly true in the carrier / data center space (some 1G, all 10G and beyond.) Fiber will never be popular for desktop computing as it's too complicated and far to easy to break.

I could see it gaining ground in a few limited spaces. video and graphics editing where huge huge files need to be moved.

But I cannot see the average cube monkey needing more than copper based links. FTTD(fiber to the department) I am sure is getting common though. so if each floor is broken up into sections the network closets have a fiber link but its ethernet to the desktops.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

said by Kearnstd:

I could see it gaining ground in a few limited spaces. video and graphics editing where huge huge files need to be moved.

But I cannot see the average cube monkey needing more than copper based links. FTTD(fiber to the department) I am sure is getting common though. so if each floor is broken up into sections the network closets have a fiber link but its ethernet to the desktops.

In 1992, all copper is 10 meg half duplex, shared. I will have as many as 144 users on one hub. To get as much as 100 meg, (still shared) I need fiber.

10 meg switching is $10,500 in 1994 for 8 ports
»www.networkcomputing.com/1119/11···s_5.html

It will be 1996, before I can get 100 meg copper, I start getting $9000 16 port switches. (they don't autodetect speed or duplex, and at least one port has to be 10 meg or they won't boot)
»www.channelweb.co.uk/crn-uk/news···cs-28115
(Here is a March 1996 review, it 'only' costs 16,000 pounds)

In 1998, I put my FDDI network down, and use gig ethernet over fiber for my core and 100 meg switched copper to every desktop.
--

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to DelmarPip

Cat 5e 350mhz cable obtains gigabit speeds every day.

While cat 6e and 7 have much lower impedance, the question is not, "do you want gigabit?". Because cat 5e 350mhz will provide gig connections. The question becomes, "do you want gigabit plus Cat {fill in the blank} cable?".

If you have the money to spend.. Get the 7. If not, enjoy the savings and gig connections on cat 5e 350mhz cable.
--
Oh, praise the one who paid my debt;
And raised this life up from the dead.