share rss forum feed

RLBL

join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Service Quality in Ottawa

(I found an older post but it was too old to reply to)

Ignoring what is going on right now from the business end and IPs being handed over etc... I am not happy with the price/service that I am getting from Rogers.

I am looking to make a change, and teksavvy is the front-runner. My issue is: I used to be a DSL teksavvy customer and when things went wonky I had to have Bell come out (at their convenience) and got charged through the nose - I understand that when things are good they are good, but when things go wrong...

Can people from the Ottawa area (I am in Riverside South) comment on the level of quality (uptime, outage frequency times, overall satisfaction, etc...). I really want to make the move back to teksavvy (cable) but considering I often work from home, and internet is our primary source for entertainment... I am a bit hesitant.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
Everything about Rogers Cable internet is as good as, or better than, Teksavvy Cable internet, except for the price and monthly usage caps.

Everything about Teksavvy Cable Internet is better than Rogers Cable Internet except for the upload/download speeds and customer service.

There you go, in a nutshell.

Anonmous

@teksavvy.com
I think it depends on what POI you'll be on, in addition to your node and the condition of wires in your neighbourhood.

I have friends on all 3 POIs in town. St. Laurent (so anything east of Bank St.) is probably the worst, its likely the most congested.

Fallowfield is decent, but can also be congested in some nodes (South of Hunt Club+Kanata?)

and Richmond Rd., probably the best of the bunch (west of Bank, north of Hunt Club and east of Kanata?). Its the one I am on. Never have any issues, save a firmware problem on my modem that mlord fixed up. When I first got it, Rogers did run some new wires from the main box for me that were damaged and causing an issue. Never got the famed $99 charge, but then again it was their problem.

They are building a Condo on the Richmond Rd. POI though, no idea where Rogers will move it (and their public access TV studio).

RLBL

Gloucester, ON
Thank you... your answer is most helpful.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to RLBL
Worst Cities:

1) Ottawa
2) London
3) Brampton
4) Mississauga

In that order.

merc782

join:2012-11-19
reply to RLBL
on Dec 11th, Teksavvy got St Laurent POI upgraded from 3gig to 4gig. After this upgrade, the download speeds are really good during peek evening hours.

before the upgrade, ftp downloads from my seedbox used to be 64 to 128 kbps during peek hours. After the upgrade i got 16mbps. but now a days it hovers around 8 to 10mbps. I am on the 18mbps plan btw.

Having said that, Please Please Please don't join teksavvy, i don't want to loose the new speeds

RLBL

Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by merc782:

Having said that, Please Please Please don't join teksavvy, i don't want to loose the new speeds

I am in Riverside Side South so I assume I will be in the BarrHaven POI... Do not worry I will not have an effect on you!