spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

RLBL

Why Do you stay?

Hi, (this is not a troll, I hope I make my message clear).

I read a lot of complaints about service and price( and everyone has the right to complain, and should when they do not feel they are getting the value they pay for), but I ask "Why do you stay?"

I am curious because I am trying to make a decision whether to stay with Rogers or not as my primary source for all entertainment in my house is now from the internet. Can anyone comment on why they have decided not to go with any resellers and stay with the big boys?

I understand that with the resellers, if things are working:great... if anything goes wrong, you are on your own (I am a previous DSL customer who had to leave a reseller because Bell was jerking me around...)... but are there more reasons (consistency/quality of service, uptime, downtime(s) etc...)

Regards...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

mozerd

MVM

Lack of viable choices is the principle reason why most stay with Rogers.

Its not a free market --- its a regulated marked primarily and the regulators [CRTC, etc.] are heavily influenced by nationalists [leftists] who believe they have the best interests of Canadians and the content Canadians are exposed too.

If the market was in fact a free market then we would have transparent access to far more choices coming out of the USA.

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3 to RLBL

to RLBL
IMHO all the provides are the same. What's the difference who I go with.

I have had INET with rogers for 6 years since I moved into their territory and have NEVER had a problem with them. Line is fast and it is always stable. So why should I shop around and rock the boat.

Ya may get a better price for a short introductory offer but it's not worth the effort to change. They are all the same.

Bill
Dcite
join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON

Dcite to RLBL

to RLBL
For the light user which doesn't do all that much. Rogers is probably fairly good.
For those who like to do alot of heavy traffic... say 8 hours of HD Netflix each day, Get the latest games off Steam(5-10GB each), Windows Updates (another 1 GB), Loop some 10 hour long version of gangnam style in 1080p youtube(someone might just do this...)

If you heavily exceed the small usage limits Rogers puts on most packages... it's not worth the cost.

True wholesalers are great in price, but the large companies they wholesale from always makes things difficult when something is wrong with the actual connection to the isp...

Lets go for a Niche scenario where an Indepent ISP which works as a wholesaler might be nicer. You live a long distance apart, but want to feel close, so you decide to have a video chat open 24/7 Assuming a low quality steam.. that's 480kbit a sec... if you leave it open all the time that's up to 171GB by itself.

Okay enough with the possibly unrealistic use cases.. here is a real one. Each Blu-ray disc is about 25GB. 12 discs will consume your entire usage on the highest tier rogers offers. (3 for the lower tiers)

MyrddinEmrys
join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON

MyrddinEmrys to RLBL

to RLBL
At the moment? Don't have the money right now to spring for the "start-ups" of other companies.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

I would like to switch to someone like Teksavvy but their fastest package is 28/1. I have Ultimate with Rogers which is 150/10 and 250GB per month. It is expensive but you can't get really high speeds with anyone else right now. Hopefully the CRTC forces Rogers to open up the higher speeds to resellers.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to RLBL

to RLBL
said by RLBL:

I understand that with the resellers, if things are working:great... if anything goes wrong, you are on your own (I am a previous DSL customer who had to leave a reseller because Bell was jerking me around...)... but are there more reasons (consistency/quality of service, uptime, downtime(s) etc...)

Just to start, they're actually wholesalers not resellers.

But to answer your question, I stay for 3 reasons:

1) I have no complaints about service. Haven't had downtime in as long as I can remember

2) I have no complaints about price. Full price is expensive, but it's so easy to get retention discounts to bring things to a reasonable level.

3) I have no other options (or didn't when I signed my last contract). At the time my only options were Bell's 5mbps/800kbps connection (available through Bell or any number of wholesalers), or Rogers (no wholesalers in my area at the time). Since I could get WAAAY faster internet for about the same price as 5/800 from Teksavvy, I made the switch. There's now Rogers wholesalers in my area, so I may switch in the future, but it's going to be hard if Rogers still has 70% discount retentions offers at that time...
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to RLBL

to RLBL
Retention offers make it cheaper then Bell and TPIA providers for my needs. Internet has also been super reliable. Always getting the advertised speed and almost zero outages.

RLBL
Gloucester, ON

RLBL

Thanks everyone for the comments... they have been very helpful

(Thanks Ree... wholesalers and not resellers)

I wonder about retention offers: I am currently on a 25% discount on extreme so I am not really complaining about the price, but a 120GB cap is terrible.

That "contract" ends in May at which point I have to call and negotiate something. I always fear threatening to leave in hopes of being forward to retention.. what if they say "sorry to see you go, but don't let the door hit you on the way out" - lol.

I have been happy with the service, just not the price for what I am getting (a 70% retention offer would be great because I would bump it up to a higher tier in a heartbeat)

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to MyrddinEmrys

Premium Member

to MyrddinEmrys
said by MyrddinEmrys:

At the moment? Don't have the money right now to spring for the "start-ups" of other companies.

Start offers free transfer if you have an existing cable internet account, they also offer modem rentals or you could purchase outright for $100 for a DCM476.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to RLBL

to RLBL
said by RLBL:

That "contract" ends in May at which point I have to call and negotiate something. I always fear threatening to leave in hopes of being forward to retention.. what if they say "sorry to see you go, but don't let the door hit you on the way out" - lol.

I have been happy with the service, just not the price for what I am getting (a 70% retention offer would be great because I would bump it up to a higher tier in a heartbeat)

They do have 70% off promos if you keep at least one other service at full price.

RLBL
Gloucester, ON

RLBL

Thanks... I will have to go for something else as I do not have a home phone nor do I have TV.

I do have 2 cell phones though...
Ree
h0h0h0

Ree to RLBL

to RLBL
said by RLBL:

I always fear threatening to leave in hopes of being forward to retention.. what if they say "sorry to see you go, but don't let the door hit you on the way out" - lol.

I wasn't even a customer when I got the 70% discount, I was still with Teksavvy at the time. I just said something to the effect of "I heard you're offering 70% off Ultimate internet. I'd like to sign up if that's true". The front-line CSR didn't know what I was talking about but transferred me and the second person had me signed up in no time.

So you don't really need to threaten to cancel to get a good deal. Just call to ask what the current offers are (or ask for a specific one if you've heard about one on DSLR).

RLBL
Gloucester, ON

RLBL

K THanks
RLBL

RLBL to Ree

to Ree
said by Ree:

I wasn't even a customer when I got the 70% discount, I was still with Teksavvy at the time. I just said something to the effect of "I heard you're offering 70% off Ultimate internet. I'd like to sign up if that's true". The front-line CSR didn't know what I was talking about but transferred me and the second person had me signed up in no time.

So you don't really need to threaten to cancel to get a good deal. Just call to ask what the current offers are (or ask for a specific one if you've heard about one on DSLR).

That is what I will do... thank you.

I spoke with a rep today and they advised that I call mid-April and see what I can get

MyrddinEmrys
join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON

MyrddinEmrys to JC_

to JC_
said by JC_:

said by MyrddinEmrys:

Start offers free transfer if you have an existing cable internet account, they also offer modem rentals or you could purchase outright for $100 for a DCM476.

Very true, however I had my eye on Teksavvy since I would need phone service as well, and I'm avoiding Bell.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

Its not a free market --- its a regulated marked primarily and the regulators [CRTC, etc.] are heavily influenced by nationalists [leftists] who believe they have the best interests of Canadians and the content Canadians are exposed too.

Bzzt. Wrong answer.
The CRTC & government are mostly influenced by their mostly right-wing corporate masters.

Charlie Wilson, CEO of GM in the 1950's famously once said, "What's good for General Motors is good for America."

You cn change the names to those of any of ROBELLUS, VIDEOTRON, SHAW, and their respective CEO's and change the country to 'Canada' and you'll have the scenario just about right.

dabonz7
join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

dabonz7

I like Rogers but sometimes they piss me off lol especially when they decided to up the price from $50 to $100 for over data allowance

you know you can get a bizness account for $154.00 I think for unlimited data download but the line aint that fast i think its 12mpbs
download.

My question is why cant they offer that to a residential account ?
you know the Extreme and up like I'm willing to pay some coin for that

Now I discipline myself for data allowance but 250 GB is peanuts
on The Fiber optic is 500 GB that's is a bit more reasonable.

That's just my thoughts on this matter

Regards
dabonz
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by dabonz7:

I like Rogers but sometimes they piss me off lol especially when they decided to up the price from $50 to $100 for over data allowance

you know you can get a bizness account for $154.00 I think for unlimited data download but the line aint that fast i think its 12mpbs
download.

My question is why cant they offer that to a residential account ?
you know the Extreme and up like I'm willing to pay some coin for that

Register "Dabonz" as a sole proprietorship, or as a L.P. and then get business service.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to RLBL

Premium Member

to RLBL
I stay cause I can't get anything else. DSL tops out at 3MB here cause I'm to far from the CO and no 3rd party's have unlimited cable in my area. So it's rogers unlimited business 10/2 for 87 a month for me.

I don't like it but all I can get.
Ree
h0h0h0

Ree to RLBL

to RLBL
said by RLBL:

That is what I will do... thank you.

I spoke with a rep today and they advised that I call mid-April and see what I can get

Depending on the rep you get, you might not have to wait. It's been awhile so I forgot that my original switch from Teksavvy to Rogers was for Extreme+ at 30 or 40% off for 1 year.

Part way through that I heard about the 70% off deals, so called in to switch to that (since I could get Ultimate for less than what I was currently paying for Extreme+!). I fully expected to have to pay a cancellation penalty to break my contract, but they said it wasn't a problem for me to switch over to the new deal penalty free.

RLBL
Gloucester, ON

RLBL to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

I stay cause I can't get anything else. DSL tops out at 3MB here cause I'm to far from the CO and no 3rd party's have unlimited cable in my area. So it's rogers unlimited business 10/2 for 87 a month for me.

I don't like it but all I can get.

Yes I am considering that plan... I do not care about the uploads but things will download 3 times slower on that plan.
Epichappy
join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON

Epichappy to RLBL

to RLBL
Okay, I'm going to reply to the OP without reading anything then If I have something to add I'll edit it in later, so this being my unedited version.

First, I have never had an issue with rogers' service, support, sales, or otherwise. The only thing they have ever done to get me angry was the stupid MSO password bridge lock on the SMC but I have the cisco now and its MSO password stays the same... also cusadmin appears to have all the same rights on the device.

Anyway, they are fast when I need them to be, the cable offers all the channels I need (in 1080i but this is ATSC/QAM's fault not rogers', and my AVR Does pretty good DE-interlacing) Their home phone functions and they rewired my house so If I do cancel I can put in a skype phone adapter or anything else to my main line, unlike bell who doesn't use a port, but directly connects the line. So for those of you who have an issue, get a better package. Seriously I'm tired of people on extreme or express bitching about their caps, If you really cared about your internet speed would be the most important factor and you would be on ultimate.

So, price...It is not the best but if you want good quality you need to pay a lot, sure fios is cheaper and faster, but that is in the US and I am in Ontario . So why do I stay? I suppose because I have disposable income and value quality, if bell's 175/175 was in my area I might switch... but still I would loose my yahoo email and have to have a person in my house... I hate people.
h8rogers
join:2009-11-04

h8rogers to RLBL

to RLBL
I have no choice. Rogers is the only game in town.
cidknee0
join:2009-02-28

cidknee0

It is likely that if you get Rogers you can get TekSavvy. They do offer cable in most locations. Check with the TekSavvy board or on the web page to verify.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to RLBL

Premium Member

to RLBL
yeah it still sucks paying so much. I balance it out by using voip.ms for phone and over a year ago I canceled cable but I'm still getting extended basic.

Still wish had an uncapped 3rd party in my area.
TOPDAWG

TOPDAWG to cidknee0

Premium Member

to cidknee0
nope no idea WTF tek is doing and how start is in all rogers areas but tek cable is not. I was shocked tek cable is not even in barrie yet but being as they're not there I don't see them coming to midland anytime soon.
Ree
h0h0h0

Ree

said by TOPDAWG:

nope no idea WTF tek is doing and how start is in all rogers areas but tek cable is not. I was shocked tek cable is not even in barrie yet but being as they're not there I don't see them coming to midland anytime soon.

Start is on the aggregated model, where they can put their hardware in a single location to provide service to the entire Rogers network.

Teksavvy got into the game earlier and are on the disaggregated model, where they have to put hardware in each city (in larger cities, multiple locations within the city) to provide service to just that one city (or in larger cities, just a portion of the city).

In theory Teksavvy could switch from disaggregated to aggregated, but it would probably mean they'd be taking losses on what they've put in place now.

(Disaggregated is being phased out, so whether they want to or not they'll be switching eventually)
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

1 edit

bt to Epichappy

to Epichappy
said by Epichappy:

Seriously I'm tired of people on extreme or express bitching about their caps, If you really cared about your internet speed would be the most important factor and you would be on ultimate.

That is hands down the dumbest comment in this thread.

I'm fine with you considering speed the most important thing for yourself. But saying that anyone who doesn't feel that way is wrong, that's what I have a problem with.

Why would I need 150 Mbps when it is only the usage limits holding me back?

I don't need the speed to stream HD video - at 18 Mbps I can have multiple HD streams going and not notice a slow-down.

My system updates are scheduled for the middle of the night. I don't care if they take an hour or two to download instead of 5 minutes. Besides, they're running in the background.

None of the games I play would run any better with a faster connection, they all use well under the 18 Mbps while playing, and the ping won't improve by upping the speed either.

About the only thing I'd use more speed for is digital downloads.

abitbent
join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON

abitbent

said by bt:

said by Epichappy:

Seriously I'm tired of people on extreme or express bitching about their caps, If you really cared about your internet speed would be the most important factor and you would be on ultimate.

That is hands down the dumbest comment in this thread.

Hey here's a Ferrari with a top speed of 300MPH. Now don't take it out of the driveway or we'll penalize you.

Thanks for the speed Rogers.