spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Neb

@202.90.207.x

VPN instead of proxy

Hi! I have access to content based on my home IP address, I would like to use a laptop when I am travelling to have the same but they will not allow access for a dynamic IP. I have tried to set up a proxy on my Mac but it is very clunky and sometimes works sometimes not. I was thinking of installing OS-X server and setting up a VPN server at home. My questions are . . . if I log in via a VPN client, how do I make sure that browser traffic from my laptop goes through the VPN server as opposed to the regular connection and will this work like a true anonymous proxy or will my location and IP info still be transmitted in some way. In short I need to make it look exactly like I am using my home computer when I log in. Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
said by Neb :

how do I make sure that browser traffic from my laptop goes through the VPN server as opposed to the regular connection

Look up "VPN split tunneling" in your search engine of choice. Basically, if you set up a remote access VPN
and do NOT enable split tunnel, all traffic from the laptop on the road goes back to whatever you have for
your VPN headend encrypted. From there, it depends on what your VPN headend is using as its default gateway,
which is likely the ISP you have at home.

The gotcha with this is the increase in latency and thruput -- a) it has to go back to your home ISP and out
THAT internet pipe, and b) you are limited by the hardware thruput of whatever is en/decrypting your traffic.

said by Neb :

will this work like a true anonymous proxy or will my location and IP info still be transmitted in some way.

As the home ISP is the default gateway, no there is no 'anonymous proxy' and the IP address of your home ISP
is given away. If you are looking for either or of the previous two things, recall VPN is about secure
communications over an insecure medium. Anyone saying VPN does more than that is selling snakeoil
and/or does not understand the fundamentals of how TCP/IP works. End Sentence.

Regards

Neb

@optusnet.com.au
Thanks! Just need to clarify, I am not actually wanting an anonymous proxy, I just need to make it look like I am logging in with my home IP when in fact I am on my laptop. Will a VPN server on my home machine do this or will it still be detectable that I am logging in from a different IP. Thanks!

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Neb
It really depends on what you settle on as your final solution, but by and large, so long as you don't split
tunnel your traffic, while you're on the road on your laptop, it SHOULD show up as your home ISP's IP address.

Regards