how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14
reply to mettachain

Re: I 'member when....

I would also like to go back to BC era feeling. Friends lists was how you formed your groups. Having to complete previous tiers to progress in current/higher tiers was fun (for me) as i swapped toons in mid BC and joined a brand new guild that was just starting Kara (i was previously in a SSC guild).
People complain of rep grind back then, but you only had to get enough rep to get keyed to a heroic then you were just rep grinding for cosmetics.

Im enjoying my time now a lot more than Cata, but nothing replaces the feel of BC to me.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to Venom1
said by Venom1:

said by Zupe:

- Rogues had a separate faction they gained rep with that was rumored to eventually lead to an epic quest, but never did

eventually it led to the legendary quest; just a few years later.

Oh, did it? I only returned to the game recently, after leaving during Wrath, so I'm not familiar with what was involved with the Cataclysm legendaries. I'm glad they continued that then, it seemed like an interesting setup at the time, but had never lead anywhere.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
well yes and no. Rogues got a legendary quest but it had nothing to do with Ravenholdt faction.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
reply to Savious
...Silithus was cool and collecting sand lumps helped your faction in that zone.
--
Use that Kudos button damnit!

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
Do you guys remember when you first hit 60? I hit 60 on my hunter out by Light's Hope Chapel killing one of those skeleton looking dudes. I screamed!!

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

said by kingdome74:

said by I AM:

Who would actually go back to what it was now though?

I'd love to go back to single-realm battlegrounds and hunters that are allowed to actually have any say with their pets. Unlike a lot of players I loved the old Battlegrounds. It was a riot.

30+ minute que times?

We never suffered from those much. Our realm loved to fight each other.
--
#7 and climbing again... 3-0 in Big East. Scott Shafer named Syracuse's head football coach. He was our defensive coordinator for the last 4 years and I look forward to even better things next year!

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
My guildies had a routine of spitting on this NELF hunter they saw all the time. Later on faces of WoW a site where people posted pictures from RL they found out she was like a school teacher mom. They felt bad. They continued to /spit however.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
Was she the GM of a shit guild called Dark Fighters and was also known for being a drunk ass in Trade?
--
Use that Kudos button damnit!

Skittles
Premium
reply to I AM
I dinged 60 in Dire Maul....still remember that and that was like 7 years ago...

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to I AM
said by I AM:

Do you guys remember when you first hit 60? I hit 60 on my hunter out by Light's Hope Chapel killing one of those skeleton looking dudes. I screamed!!

I hit 60 turning in a quest at the entrance to Western Plaguelands. I was close enough that I stayed up until the wee hours on Thanksgiving weekend (2005 that is, I wasn't there at release) to hit the summit.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

hankhill11

join:2007-07-30
Brookfield, WI
reply to Savious
I remember when twinking took a lot of time, money and effort, and having more /played on my 39 twinks than my 70 mains.

I also remember having to get books for first aid, and quests for fishing.

and remember when you had to stop at a trainer and train your minion and or your pets.

remember needing to drink waters or eat food every number of fights.

I 2nd the comment about WC taking forever if you did a full clear, especially if you got lost.

remember watching all the lowbie dueling outside the inn at the XR.

remember farming revlosh a million times for the one item that had +1 stam over the others of the same flavor.

all the areas that use to contain elite mobs that are now just normals. or gone. including normal rare spawns that use to be tough.

having to group for group quests.

waiting for ever at a summoning stone just to start the instance to have one guy drop.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Savious
Spamming chat for somebody with a UBRS key

Getting the UBRS key through the Seal of Ascension quest

Demanding to do the annoying rookery in UBRS (made famous by Leeroy Jenkins) because the priest shoulders dropped there

10-man Scholo

10-man Strat

15-man UBRS

Having to get a key for just about everything

I didn't start playing WoW until Spring 2005. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that some of the dungeons I mentioned had a larger player limit until a patch in March 2005.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Savious
Having to do quests to enslave a demon for the warlock.

BG5150

join:2008-08-14
New York, NY
reply to Savious
-- class specific quests that you pretty much HAD to do

-- one maybe two mats when herbing or mining

-- spamming /trade with 70 dps shammie LF run

-- spamming /trade with max enchanter LFW in order to make any gold in that profession

-- random chests in dungeons and even the real world (are they around any more?

-- having to see a trainer and pay every time you wanted to respec
--
...because beer is mana in real life. -- LockInABox

There are no stupid questions; only stupid people.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Skittles
said by Skittles:

I dinged 60 in Dire Maul....still remember that and that was like 7 years ago...

I still have a screenie of it somewhere.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Savious
I remember when:

There were no flying mounts, only flight paths.

Slow/Fast MH/OH Instant/Deadly Flametongue/Windfury - screened the men from the boys.

You had to level lock picking, and vanish required flash powder.

You got your non-epic ground mount at level 40 and training cost 100g which you did not have yet.

Twinking was fun, and required diligent planning to get all the necessary items without leveling out of the 19 bracket.

Shamans/Paladins were faction specific.

Raids required legitimate attunement.

Arena didn't exist.

Threat was actually a concern & Omen was necessary.

Army of the Dead, Raise Dead and Shadow of Death were all usable in arena - lolwtf.

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to kingdome74
i miss building low level twinks and finding exploits with twink items. I remember finding a gray sword in northrend when WoTLK first dropped that was bugged and had no item level on it. I equipped it on my lvl 19 warrior and had a blast in bgs.

i miss tanking dungeons where marking targets,cc, and focus fire were the norm. i lost interest in pve when dungeons became faceroll. I miss when hunters would forget to dismiss their pets when we jumped in dungeons...and the whole instance was aggroed.

i miss attunements and resist gear. i know it sucked and and alot of people including myself werent able to see all of the content but i do miss it.

the thing i miss the most was the old wow server community. the old server communities were like these boards. you got to know ppl outside of your guild in dungeon groups and pvp.

and last but not least...people actually talking to one another in dungeon runs.
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Morage

@telecomputing.se
reply to Savious
Putting pets on aggressive and letting it do its own thing in BGs.

When top end enchants were more directed to ability's like +shadow power or +healing and managing to get all the recipes from drops meant you finally had cash coming in from selling your services.

Putting those enchants on a lvl19 and having more shadow power than a lvl40.

My max twinked lock always fighting the same max twinked mage in WSG without ever planing to meet.

And from BC when rolling a blue goat paladin meant you didn't have to ride that ugly elephant thing.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Josof
said by Josof:

the thing i miss the most was the old wow server community. the old server communities were like these boards.

This sums a lot of what is missing now in WoW.

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
reply to Savious
I remember being able to remember people I played dungeons with, where if they ninja'd the individual would be chastised till they switched servers, and if they kept their name, would immediately have someone follow them to the new server to ensure that server was made aware. (Done in most extreme cases.) Being able to add a player to your friends list based off of playing with them and then grouping with them later and introduction to their friends made for an actual community. Public lashings helped keep players in check so that they knew the behavior was not acceptable.

Currently there is too much anonymity; which removed much of the consequences of being an asshat, and leading to a game which you only reach out to few in your guild and perhaps others while raiding if you don't LFR.

And AQ gate server event, which was never matched in epicness.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI
reply to Savious
I remember when...

- Having to mark, wait for CC, and LOS pulls was required

- CC was an art form (catching a mob on patrol with ice trap, the perfect sheep and LOS)

- Having to grind normals to get enough rep to buy keys to get into heroic BC dungeons

- The amount of time I spent looking for nature resist gear for AQ

- Questing was difficult. Areas had tons of elite mobs, and quests that were designed for 2, 5, or even more

- Spending an hour trying to put together a heroic group

Skittles
Premium
reply to Josof
said by Josof:

the thing i miss the most was the old wow server community. the old server communities were like these boards. you got to know ppl outside of your guild in dungeon groups and pvp.

+1

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to Savious
... WOW was only a term of surprise. (Of course then it became Whip'em Out Wednesday (Bless you Opie and Anthony))

Endbringer

join:2012-10-07
Fishers, IN
reply to Savious
i 'member having to create long shot macros on my hunter so we didn't walk over our white damage

i 'member Kara taking days to clear and each pull being life or wipe

i 'member not having enough gold for my first mount

i 'member having to do a quest chain to get your pet

i 'member when i was lvl 69 and killed my first 70 in the outlands world pvp

BG5150

join:2008-08-14
New York, NY
reply to clawfury
said by clawfury:

I remember when...
- CC was an art form (catching a mob on patrol with ice trap, the perfect sheep and LOS)

I miss this. I wish this was still around. One reason I like that one dungeon in WotLK (the last one). CC and LOS were key. At least at first; before everyone outgeared it.

Also, I remember lighting a cooking fire on top of an player and having them slowly burn to death.
--
...because beer is mana in real life. -- LockInABox

There are no stupid questions; only stupid people.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
I remember killing Gamon everytime I saw the poor guy. Don't play innocent you know you did it too!

Skittles
Premium
reply to BG5150
remember when you needed wood and flint in your bag to start a campfire?

Watermasta

join:2012-06-15
Quantico, VA
reply to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

I remember being able to remember people I played dungeons with, where if they ninja'd the individual would be chastised till they switched servers, and if they kept their name, would immediately have someone follow them to the new server to ensure that server was made aware. (Done in most extreme cases.) Being able to add a player to your friends list based off of playing with them and then grouping with them later and introduction to their friends made for an actual community. Public lashings helped keep players in check so that they knew the behavior was not acceptable.

Currently there is too much anonymity; which removed much of the consequences of being an asshat, and leading to a game which you only reach out to few in your guild and perhaps others while raiding if you don't LFR.

The problem with this now is the paid name change. You can ninja some big item and pay 25 dollars and your a brand new toon. I too miss the "server reputation" aspect of WoW. Not only that you could build a negative side if you were an asshat, you could built a really good rep if you were a skilled player. You were valued and wanted in raids.

Skittles
Premium
here one for the board:

Where was the first parachute you could use on your toon in the game?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to Watermasta
said by Watermasta:

said by stvnbrs:

The problem with this now is the paid name change. You can ninja some big item and pay 25 dollars and your a brand new toon. I too miss the "server reputation" aspect of WoW. Not only that you could build a negative side if you were an asshat, you could built a really good rep if you were a skilled player. You were valued and wanted in raids.

I miss server reputation too, it was awesome to log in and start getting whispers right away "Hey man, we need you to tank H Shattered Halls have group full and ready" back when you could only run heroics once a day.

That was a sense of server community that is lost now.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.