spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cyskon

join:2003-06-06

[HELP] Cisco AP 1252/1262

I currently have two AIR-AP1252AG-E-K9 access points providing me with a wireless network. I just bought two new AIR-AP1262N-A-K9 access points and was able to configure them as with the 1252 as a means to extend my wireless network. ALL APs have the same SSID, DNS, GATEWAY to be able to provide seamless access to the network/internet. I have however come upon a situation as follows. If I place the 1262 "outside" of the range of the 1252, the configured 1262 works fine and I can access my network/internet via that access point. What I mean is that on my main building I have the 1252 installed and working. I configured one of the 1262 with all the required information and when I try to connect to the network via the 1262 access point (with the SSID the same as the 1252) I was not able to connect to the network/internet as instead of getting an IP address from the DHCP server on the network, I got a private IP address (169.254.41.x). If a reconfigure the 1262, with the same network information as the 1252, but with a different SSID, then I am able to connect to the network/internet, and get a proper IP address. If I again reconfigure the 1262 with the same network information and the same SSID as the 1252, then I am again unable to connect to the network/internet via the 1262 AP. It gets even "stranger" as, with that very same network and SSID configuration, I move the 1262 to a different location that is not within the range of the 1252 and the configured 1262 works and clients can connect and access the network/internet.

Would appreciate any assistance to a solution here.

Thanks.

phantasm11b
Premium
join:2007-11-02
Reviews:
·Comcast
The 1252's are for the EMEA region (denoted by the "E") whereas the 1262's are for the North American region (denoted by the "A"). The region dictates which radio frequencies the AP can use. What country are you in by chance? I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. Can you also post the configs of each AP for us to review? Please scrub any passwords and confidential information from them.

cyskon

downloadap1252.txt 2,957 bytesdownloadap1262.txt 3,062 bytes
Hi phantasm, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I follow as to why the frequency would affect the device allowing you to get an IP address from the DHCP server on the network?

Please see the current config for each AP. Thanks again for the help.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to cyskon
First guess... the new AP isn't configured on the RADIUS server, so it's not actually letting you on the network?

I'd start with basic network debugging... is the AP linked, have an address, pingable, can ping, etc. Then dig deeper into "debug"... client association, radius (aaa), and as a last resort: every single packet. (that'll be a lot of crap for a 9600bps console -- don't debug packets via telnet.)

phantasm11b
Premium
join:2007-11-02
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cyskon
Why are you setting the BVI1 IP address via dhcp?

interface BVI1
 ip address dhcp client-id GigabitEthernet0
 no ip route-cache

That IP should be hardcoded per AP and that IP needs to be in the RADIUS server.

ladino

join:2001-02-24
USA
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to cyskon
Put one AP on channel 1(2412) or channel 6(2437), while leaving the other on its current channel 11(2462); since you currently have both on channel 11........ to avoid co-channel interference.

Also as noted by phantasm11b the AP's model dictates its supported channel frequencies by it regulatory domain

ladino

join:2001-02-24
USA
kudos:1
reply to cyskon
The BVI IP address can be dynamic or statically assigned. Radius should be able authenticate an individual host or a network range, irrespective of how the host IP address was obtained. So Radius configuration is not the problem.
The issue is the proximity of the APs to each other while on the same SSID & channel.

cyskon

reply to cyskon
Thanks all. I will begin the process and get back to you as soon as I have tried your suggestions.

cyskon

reply to cyskon
Hello All,

Thanks again for your suggestions. Here are the results.

1. CRAMER - I checked the RADIUS server and all APs are registered in the RADIUS server. However, I am not seeing any transactions relation to RADIUS/Client activities. I went ahead and remove and re-register the APs in the RADIUS server. The AP is linked, address is reachable from any device on the network, client association is visible via the client list on the AP. NO CHANGE IN SITUATION!

2. PHANTASM11B - changed the IP address to static/dynamic and the IP address is in the RADIUS. NO CHANGE IN SITUATION!

3 LANDINO - changed the channel of the new AP. Do not know how to adjust frequency (if it can be adjusted, or maybe I just keep missing it). NO CHANGE IN SITUATION!

I am now contemplating just using a different SSID and have all the devices add to it once instead of trying to give it the same SSID. I am still working on it and hope I can resolve it. If you have any other ideas, no matter how "far fetched", please I am willing to try. If there are any specific areas you want me to look at or info that you wish, please let me know.

I have reset the AP to factory and done a one by one reconfig, instead of loading a saved config file from another AP, and still no go.

Thank you all for your assistance.

hang10

join:2002-11-03
Temecula, CA
reply to cyskon
Try setting up cisco wds so the access points know about each other and can provide for seamless roaming between access points for clients.

»www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireles···amg.html

cyskon

Thanks HANG10, I'll give that a try tomorrow and get back.

cyskon

reply to hang10
Hi HANG10, In researching your suggestion to setup a WDS, I realised that I do not have the requirements for WDS as outlined by the document you provided (Thanks)

Requirements for WDS

To configure WDS, you must have these items on your wireless LAN:

•At least one access point, Integrated Services Router (ISR), or switch (equipped with a Wireless LAN Services Module) that you can configure as the WDS device

•An authentication server (or an access point or ISR configured as a local authenticator)

hang10

join:2002-11-03
Temecula, CA
Hi. Please read the requirements again you don't need all of these item. You have a radius server and a Access point to act as a wds server. That's all you need.

cyskon

Ok, HANG10, gonna go through the process now. THanks.