Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4
Reviews:
·ooma

Bid evaluation for subfloor work

My sons room and a large section of the hallway has a terrible creak. It's nigh on impossible to get down the hallway without waking the baby, let alone get him into his crib without a loud creak. I bought a pack of those screws that break off under the carpet and sunk a couple dozen. I never took the carpet up because I'm no good at stretching/etc and getting it to match right.

It helped for a while but it's gotten worse. I cut open the ceiling in the garage to see if there was any way to shim it, but there's no room. (Also found out I missed a lot of the joists with those screws )

We called a carpeting company who we fixes these things as parts of installs. They came out and gave us a bid of $375 to take back the carpet/pad, screw the subfloor down into the floor joists, then put everything back.

At first blush that seems high to me. Am I wrong?

I'm wondering if they would be willing to just put the carpet/pad back nice and pretty like if I pull it up and fix the floor myself.
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
If you think you can level the floor yourself, why can't you tack in the new carpet?

This seems like an easy DIY.
375$ is reasonable, even if the job is basic their time costs the same.

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4
Not being able to find the joists through the carpet and the padding is the problem. As for putting it back, I've never done it before and I don't want it to look like crap.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to ProtusMose
Wood on wood is the culprit of your creaking. The subfloor should have been glued down to the joists. If you still have access from beneath you could try applying construction adhesive. Even if you ran a bead on each side of the joists it might fix your problem. Ideally getting adhesive between ply and joist would be best.

Which would entail creating a gap, applying adhesive, refastening the subfloor and setting any nails that might have popped up. A difficult task with carpet and pad still down.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to ProtusMose
said by ProtusMose:

Not being able to find the joists through the carpet and the padding is the problem. As for putting it back, I've never done it before and I don't want it to look like crap.

There's a first time for everything and this isn't very hard.

Your biggest risk is that the carpet won't be in good shape after you pull it out, so you'd need new carpet. At this point, I'd just install laminate planks (peel & stick or click&lock).

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to VioletVenom
said by VioletVenom:

Wood on wood is the culprit of your creaking. The subfloor should have been glued down to the joists. If you still have access from beneath you could try applying construction adhesive. Even if you ran a bead on each side of the joists it might fix your problem. Ideally getting adhesive between ply and joist would be best.

Which would entail creating a gap, applying adhesive, refastening the subfloor and setting any nails that might have popped up. A difficult task with carpet and pad still down.

This. You may be able to quiet it down some by pulling carpet and re fastening it. But it should be glued and screwed down with construction adhesive.
--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
After reading OP again I saw that he mentioned hallway and bedroom. So he might not have access to the whole area from beneath. In that case screwing from above might take care of the issue. Depending upon the area, the $375 bid doesn't seem unreasonable.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to ProtusMose
Personally, I'd have the contractor do it for that much. New carpet or floor may not be in the budget and could raise the PITA score significantly if I did it myself.

A good stud finder should be able to find the floor joists, but messing with the carpet wouldn't be fun, for me. If the bid was a lot higher, I'd take it on, but at less than $400 I'd go with it.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

375$ is reasonable, even if the job is basic their time costs the same.

two or three guys for a day with fringes, overhead and insrance, sounds reasonable to me, assuming they fix it right.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to ProtusMose
Any ductwork in that floor? Just a thought but that can also cause creaking floors.
I had to redo a hanger strap on my ductwork to fix a spot where my living room floor would creak and groan. I simply removed the joist attachments point of the hanger and then shimmed it with a doubled up piece of wax paper before I screwed it back on. All quiet now.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ProtusMose
For $375 I'd pay them to do it.

When I had my HW floors up, I screwed down all the planks, no squeaks--but also no construction adhesive used. I'd say I used about 200 screws over about 26' of 4' wide hallway and an 11x13 room.

You might want to try to sink more of those screws (hitting the joists this time ). Once you know where you are, you can make some assumptions based on 16" OC measurements.

My father's condo has a few bad squeaks and we determined it was because when they were laying the subfloor they did not put in any blocking, or cut the sub so that all edges laid on a joist... the result is some sub floor butted against other subfloor, but nothing under it... those sometimes feel like soft spots and will often squeak too.

If your sub floor is not tounge & groove it may also squeak as the edges rub against each other.

If your carpet is over older HW, it could also be the HW squeaking... my brother in law's place they did not lay down any paper between the sub and HW, the result is that every step is unbelievably squeaky everywhere in his house... they've just learned to live with it.