1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to Crash Gordon

Re: Stock vs Cross Drilled or Slotted Brake Rotors

said by Crash Gordon:

One of the first things I was taught was to "look where you're going to be, not where you're at". I use that in everyday driving too (one reason I hate being behind a SUV or other large vehicle). I can't see far enough up the road to suit me.

Here in CT it's rare to see anyone look behind the front of the hood, I should get $5 for every time I see people just slam on the brakes because they did not look up a simple 3 car lengths ahead.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

That isn't confined just to CT. It's everywhere these days.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by Juggernaut:

That isn't confined just to CT. It's everywhere these days.

True.. but when you mix with impatient NY drivers they don't care.

It's like why if you move out of the lane (lets say the 3rd lane) and you have a car behind you, why do they speed up to only follow 2-3 seconds behind the car in front of them? I don't think I've ever seen a person not speed up to close a gap only to hit the brakes.. why not keep the same following distance?
--

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Same with the driver's here. I have to wonder when I see people pass me to get to a red light, as I glide toward it.

They're stopped as I go by at 25 mph.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

haha same here, and since I take the same way most of the time and arrive about the same time you know how long a light is, I've notice in some sections it's timed for a 40 mph speed limit.

I'm not sure about Kelowna but a few people here will run redlights but running as in they are already red but they just go anyways.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Whoa! Not too many here do that, but I always wait for 3 seconds after green just in case. Saved my ass a few times.

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA
reply to Rifleman

As I'm approaching a red light I usually try to glance at the light from the left/right or the crossing signal to see if it's changing or about to change.

Yeah, I look for people running the light too. Just because my light is green doesn't always mean it's safe to go.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I always say they tend to make their own driving rules here.. but you know the funniest thing is they will do a full stop for a yeld sign (almost rear ended someone) but not stop for a simple stop sign..

Or today I was driving to the bank after work and the street light had went out but then came back on so it needed to be reset so the main road had the flashing yellow and the side road had flashing red.. the drivers all had the WTF to do look... It's so simple if the side road has cars and already in the intersection then you yield to them not try to cut in front of them..

I swear I will be getting a dash mounted camera because some of this stuff is like basic driving stuff.
--

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
reply to Juggernaut

Subaru is correct. Here in New York they say a red light is not red until the bulb is warm.

Last year we just started getting red light cameras. Some idiots who got tickets started to complain that stopping for a red light was dangerous because you could get rear ended.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I wish they would get red light cameras here.. this one intersection here.. I just don't understand.. OK so you can't wait for the next cycle change.. So lets have friken 4 cars keep making a left turn on red while everyone else who has the green wait for you to make your turn..

I drive around in Westchester county sometimes and they are far better IMHO.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I'll bet if there was a cop sitting there they wouldn't...

People know they're breaking the law, yet don't give a damn until they're being surveilled. Somehow, I don't think it would go over well for insurance either.

I agree with you on the dash cam. I was thinking of getting a Go-Pro for that very reason.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

ha I thought about calling the police just to let them know, and I will be getting a contour roam, rage cams has a nice magnet mount for the outside that looks nice

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
reply to Juggernaut

The only good point of living in a place where traffic laws are optional is that the unofficial expressway speed limit is 70 and the cops don't seem to bother you if you keep below 75.

The downside is that every one in 5 drivers has a friggin cell phone held up to their ear. Women seem to be the worst at this.

I don't live up in Subaru's part of the state, but I do go up there once in a while and I think 70 is the norm on I95 and the NY throughway.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yep 70 is the norm the speed limit signs on 95 here show 55, and I did get stopped one morning I was guilty I saw the state trooper facing the north bound side and I was the only one on the highway at 4AM so I pulled over to save him some trouble, and I told him to be honest I never noticed the speed limit, having lived here for so long he told me anything over 80 is reckless driving and they will inpound your car and take away your license, I was doing about 75 at the time but the fact that I pulled over quick enough and as the trooper said I was not Bs'ing him he wrote it as 65 instead.

I tried driving the speed limit just to see how it would be.. it's damn scary just being in the first lane!

Also since you are from NY bgraham maybe you can help me understand lol... why do all NY people do like 90 MPH at like 4 AM and no one is in front of them? I used to stay off 684 when it rained, almost all the time I would see someone that ran off the road and hit the metal gaurd rail.
--

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to Rifleman

I always drove looking as far ahead as possible--watching for cars 3 and 4 ahead braking to give me time to react.
That said I have had 2 accidents in the last 5 years from cars immediately in front of me blowing a stop sign and another just pulling onto the highway 50 feet in front of my RV. The only accidents I have ever had.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by Rifleman:

I always drove looking as far ahead as possible--watching for cars 3 and 4 ahead braking to give me time to react.
That said I have had 2 accidents in the last 5 years from cars immediately in front of me blowing a stop sign and another just pulling onto the highway 50 feet in front of my RV. The only accidents I have ever had.

LOL one lady blew a stop sign, my road comes down a hill and I had my left blinker on, I have no stop sign and she does in which under the sign says traffic ahead has no stop sign.. She cuts in front of me and I get on the horn and she gives me the finger.. all that on a Sunday morning lol.

on the other hand I love driving in MD, VA and NC drivers who know to look ahead and look behind.

A trick I do and I know a lot of Europeans do it is if I come up behind someone that wont move say the far left lane I will put on my right blinker maybe 7 times out of 10 they will get the message and they switch the lanes without me ever having to move.

Also unrelated to stopping why is it that I notice more driving at night driving head on with high beams on? happened the other night.. I hate doing my hibeams but he got a fist full of bi-xenons and then quickly lowered his.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

quote:
Also unrelated to stopping why is it that I notice more driving at night driving head on with high beams on?
I think it is because of the older drivers. AS they get older the eyesight has issues more at night.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by CylonRed:

quote:
Also unrelated to stopping why is it that I notice more driving at night driving head on with high beams on?
I think it is because of the older drivers. AS they get older the eyesight has issues more at night.

Could be.. however I see most of the older drivers have clouded over headlights as well..

I've seen this on the highway as well and CT has enough lighting on the highway, however I think they are looking to cut back so instead of having lighting on both sides they just run them in the middle of the road on the jersey barrier, same amount of lighting but maybe 80 less lights or so.
--

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

Hey, Subaru isn't that old!

Having said that, as I have aged, I find my eyes more bothered by misadjusted headlights. -Or perhaps it is the multitude of HIDs in lenses not designed for them.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

No I don't feel old until younger kids say that I'm old

lol but anyways that's why I ended up installing a auto dimming rear view mirror.. you have these pickup trucks with HID's in a reflector housing or what's worst is 18 wheelers with HID's in a reflector housing.. I said screw this and got the mirror for like $26 from a pick-a-part place from a 2003 tahoe and wired it up, now I can see what temp it is in the morning 8 F on Friday brrrr!
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Cho Baka

Nope he isn't but that is not what I replied to.... He was wondering why other cars have their high beams on more often than before.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

But what about a lighted highway I often wonder how people can drive with the turn signal on for miles.. I don't know if it's just me but stuff like would drive me nuts.

Or 2 weeks ago it was around 6 Pm or so, and already dark.. this Honda suv gets in front of me.. just had no lights on at all.. but everyone else did.. How can you be in near stop & go traffic (20 MPH) and not notice your head lights are not on reflecting off the car in front of you? I guess they noticed soon after then turned them on.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Can be many reason for a lighted highway. Many people forget they have the high beams on and a lighted highway makes it less obvious from the drivers seat.

Rarely have I ever left a turn signal - usually when my mind was elsewhere and I did not hear the click.

I know folks who think that as long as they can see other cars - they are good. No lights on are a pet peeve of mine and it happens a lot. As far as I am concerned - the headlights should be on 100% of the time and it should be done via programming in the car.

When I had my first 2 Subaru's - I left my lights on all of the time and when the car was turned off - the lights went of automatically. Never needed to run them off via the stalk.
--
Brian

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I was thinking maybe they were running the hibeams because both low beams are blown out? lol hopefully one would be that stupid and cheap to do that..

Driving without lights I call them people that want to have a insurance claim.. no reason.. how can you see your speed??

yeah the Subarus are nice that the headlights turn off with the car but you get people that hit the parking light switch all the time wondering why the parking lights wont go off :P

but now getting back onto brakes haha I've heard cross drilled rotors could crack if under too much stress? And slotted rotors tend to wear on the pads more on and off the brakes?
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

I have heard the same thing about drilled rotors and it makes sense since the rotor gets weakened when you take away metal.

It works for racing since you don't generally reuse rotors and pads..
--
Brian

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yeah, I wonder what would happen if say one had a stuck caliper..

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

but now getting back onto brakes haha I've heard cross drilled rotors could crack if under too much stress? And slotted rotors tend to wear on the pads more on and off the brakes?

Can't speak to cross drilled. But I didn't have a wear issue on the slotted rotors when I had my VW.

Brembo slotted and Green Stuff brake pads. The front pads had 40k miles on them when I sold the car and they looked like they could go another 30k.