Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
reply to lutful

Re: ARGH! Ubnt radios freezing!

said by lutful:

^^^^^
Thats a name I havent seen in a loooong time.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

said by Rhaas:

said by lutful:

^^^^^

I actually hang out at the electronics forum these days.
»Haven't seen Lutful posting lately

P.S. I really could not make any critical comments about UBNT stuff back in 2010 without getting attacked by fanboys. Hopefully that has changed.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

Respectively replying, anyone that hasn't extensively deployed UBNT gear shouldn't make critical comments.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

said by WHT:

Respectively replying, anyone that hasn't extensively deployed UBNT gear shouldn't make critical comments.

Obviously there are exceptions like (
»Noisy UBNT gear appearing in our area ) by a veteran WISP. My only comment in that 5 page thread was about adding UNIX "nice" feature in a TDMA radio to co-exist with other WISP gear. And my response to a specific question in this UBNT thread relates to IC temperature ratings. Both are stuff I know a lot about because I personally designed ICs and TDMA radio PCBs.

Hopefully you UBNT guys will allow that tiny bit of freedom of relevant expression by non-UBNT users. After all there are very few of us left. Nothing to fear - you guys already won.

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
reply to lutful

said by lutful:

said by Rhaas:

said by lutful:

^^^^^

P.S. I really could not make any critical comments about UBNT stuff back in 2010 without getting attacked by fanboys. Hopefully that has changed.

Even the fan boys got burned
I am using their 2.4G equipment with some success - as long as it is fairly quiet.

I am not happy about the 7kft of tough cable I have deployed that has or is failing..
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

said by Rhaas:

I am not happy about the 7kft of tough cable I have deployed that has or is failing..

Same here... The UV protected stuff that wasn't... I was just at a customer's house yesterday for something totally unrelated and happened to look at the cable and saw a bunch of cracks all over the place. Hadn't totally failed yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I haven't participated on the UBNT forums for quite awhile, but does anyone know if they are offering any sort of compensation for the crappy cable that is only lasting a year or two? I have other cable that's been installed for 6+ years and is in almost as good of condition as the day we installed it. Even some cheap non-UV unshielded indoor cable that was intended to be temporary is still in great condition compared to the UBNt stuff.

join:2011-04-18

No Compensation yet, they will send you new boxes for the stuff you used... But that doesnt quite cover man hours/ lost revenue.

We had a bit of a rush when a competitor went out of business last year.... Close to 300 installs in 2 months (thats a lot for us).... We just got killed this summer with service calls, left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.....