spc
uniqs
l_dub
join:2011-06-20
Edmonton, AB

l_dub to telususer

to telususer

Re: [BC] Bad TV image

I believe the minimum connection you can have with Telus Optik is 15mbps. Either way, you will not get a different picture based on your connection speed. Everyone should essentially get the same stream quality.

Kruisey, honestly, I can say I didn't notice any difference between HDMI and Component for picture quality. In fact, I had them plugged in at the same time on two different inputs and would switch back and forth and I couldn't tell any difference.

Also, if you like your natural shades, I'm sure there are adjustments you can make to your TV settings to get you your nice European look.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

The image looks like TELUS's TV always does -- compressed to hell.
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to l_dub

to l_dub
The few times i have phoned in to Technical Services with a quality of picture issue they always ask if HDMI or Component.
When I say HDMI they say that is the reason switch to Component which they also support.
I am not on the new Fibre Optic its not in my area.Certain those lucky folks will have the better picture .
There again it is a very expensive upgrade which will come in time no doubt.
l_dub
join:2011-06-20
Edmonton, AB

l_dub

Yes, they officially support component, but it does not mean it's better. It just means that they are willing to help you with your problem because it's within their parameters. If you say HDMI, they say 'we can't help you until you switch it to component'.

The people on the fibre optic connection have the EXACT same image that you get on your connection. Telus's system doesn't discriminate based on the type of connection you have. Everyone gets a 4-6mbps HD stream. They also do not get faster internet (even though their line is capable), they will only get what is available to the regular consumer, which at this time is 50mbps.

WYCF
join:2005-11-18
Richmond, BC

WYCF

More info:

Actually I had Telus TV before about one year ago. It was also on the 15M plan and connected to the same SONY TV using component cable . I noticed that the picture quality was not so good, but it is acceptable. Back then I rent an old model of STB player. I returned the box when I cut the services.

This time the new installed STB box is different box(it has the Cisco logo). I also bought a PVR from Futureshop. The installation technician told me this is a much better box: faster boot up, better HDMI support, etc. The remote is shining new one.

So, should I call Telus and ask for an in-house service and ask the technician bring a old model box?
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to l_dub

to l_dub
I would plug all those wires in if I got decent sound.One only gets the sound from the center only not natural with Components..
Why didnot they have HDMI in the first instance and have the best of both worlds ? In other words TV boxes HDMI compatable ??

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

Kruisey... component cables are the red, green and blue
If you have another red and white then you have component cables with RCA cables included.
The additional red and white provide stereo sound (left and right audio).
If you want surround sound (so your centre speaker and surround sound speakers work) you must use cables that can carry that sound.
You must only use the red/green/blue for picture (ignore the extra red and white) and then use an optical/toslink cable that goes to your receiver for audio.
If you do this, the audio quality will be identical to using HDMI as it's a digital signal.
While HDMI is cable of better picture quality than component considering Optik has a max resolution of 1080i there is likely to be minimal quality difference in the picture.
The primary benefit of using HDMI (for Optik) is that it's cleaner and easier... one plug instead of four or five.

The reason why HDMI is not the recommended/approved install method with Optik is there are "handshake" issues with it. Basically the TELUS box talks to the TV via the cable when it's used. Sometimes, for some reason, that gets confused and the tv (or the receiver if it's connected that way) can mess up the signal transfer (one will not turn on etc).

WYCF
join:2005-11-18
Richmond, BC

WYCF

Just hang up with Telus. Talked to a lady about this problem. I also mentioned this post and the pictures. She took it to the engineer to discuss for about 15 minutes. Finally she book up a technician come to my house tonight.

Although she warned me that I may got charged for the service if this is not Telus fault. But after she talked to engineers and she said the chance is slim.

So I'll wait the technician and see how to fix it.

Will report back for sure. Stay tuned!
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to JammerMan79

to JammerMan79
Tv in living room just HDMI.In other room tech installed Component plus red and white.
Thank you Jammerman informing me about the optical/toslink cable.
I honestly do believe Telus can only transmit what it is given .Some pictures are super others not so good.
Wonderful improvement none the less from a few years ago when the screen would fill with different colour digital boxes.
Feel Telus has done a great job in a short time considering they were the "New Boy/Girl "on the block for TV.