spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JeffSLTX
join:2013-01-05

JeffSLTX to Piggie

to Piggie

Re: [Troubles] Sugar Land Texas ADSL problems

I have no idea why we have a landline monopoly in Sugar Land. What happened to the deregulation and competitive markets? I know Houston now has a number of choices since deregulation (used to live in Houston ETJ), but Sugar Land is considered "rural". I'm not sure who could actually visit Sugar Land and classify it as rural. We desperately need some real competition here so WS corporate will pay attention. Too bad Kansas City beat us out for Google Fiber...
JeffSLTX

JeffSLTX

I'm having reasonably stable speeds now, running near 6 Mb/s which is what I pay for. The 12 Mbps service still has big problems according to a friend of mine nearby.

I was having intermittent problems with disconnects not only from Windstream, but also between my computer and router. I decided to investigate by checking out pings with different MTU settings. I have finally settled on 1490 as the MTU setting on my router, and it appears to be much more stable. I know it used to be higher and the Auto setting on the router was fine, but it looks like Windstream may have changed their packet size setting on the network, which was causing some of my dropped connections. Some of the drops are still on the Windstream side, but I think the number of drops is now less with the new MTU setting. At least my wireless devices and router appear to be happy with one another now.

I'd still like to go back to at least 12 Mbps for gaming and video streaming, but at the moment, that service is very unreliable in parts of Sugar Land.