join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to nrobot80

Re: Comcast is really pushing their gateways

And how many times has Comcast played the "blame customer equipment" game. I had a CSR try to blame my computer when in fact there was known problems with the network. I even had a truck roll around that time where my neighbors came out and approached the Comcast technician that was servicing my house saying they were having problems with the Internet so it was clearly a Comcast issue.

As for networking equipment, they should make it clear in bold print that Comcast's responsibility ends at the demarc (customer owned modems) or the modem (Comcast rental modems) and that the customer would be charged an hourly rate for troubleshooting beyond that point.

As for their gateways, the Comcast gateways have inferior processing capabilities and poor Wi-Fi range. It's like comparing public transportation to a Corvette in terms of quality when it comes to CC gateways vs an Apple AirPort Extreme router.

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Arris TG862G Wireless Gateway
said by IowaCowboy:

As for their gateways, the Comcast gateways have inferior processing capabilities and poor Wi-Fi range. It's like comparing public transportation to a Corvette in terms of quality when it comes to CC gateways vs an Apple AirPort Extreme router.

Amen to that! I have the Arris TG862G and the built in wifi absolutely sucks! It goes from a good signal to low and the speeds flucuate because of it. Once I hooked up my Netgear dual band router, I was seeing full speeds and back in business.

Besides that though, I really like this gateway and it looks sexy to boot

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

2 recommendations

reply to IowaCowboy

I agree with you 1000% IowaCowboy, keep in mind if Comcast charged an hourly rate to diagnosis a problem with a customers equipment then that's additional money need to train and certify the techs. When I first started as a tech in training class they showed us how to install/replace NIC cards in desktop computers. They told told us to stop doing that and just install USB drivers if that was the problem because so many techs were opening computers and frying motherboards. This also voided the warranties of most desktop computers. As I stated before most people that called in weren't tech savy. I once went to a home where the customer fried his brand new computer after he spilled water all over it. He said the cupholder (CD-ROM drive) went back into the machine. I swapped modems, billed the customer and was on my way to the next job. In an instance like that the customer should be billed just out of stupidity.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

As for networking equipment, they should make it clear in bold print that Comcast's responsibility ends at the demarc (customer owned modems) or the modem (Comcast rental modems) and that the customer would be charged an hourly rate for troubleshooting beyond that point.

I personally don't see how anyone could reasonably expect an ISP to provide support for customer installed equipment (and/or network wiring) that was neither purchased or rented from that ISP (and certainly not free support).

OTOH, I do know from personal experience that such an attitude is indeed quite common. I can't recount the number of times that I have had people (who were not customers of mine) call or email me expecting me to provide free phone or email support for products and services that they had not obtained from me.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Doobee

@comcast.net
reply to egeek84

Guess it all depends on which market area you are in. On my Jan rate sheet, the gateway is still $7 and not lumped together with the "wireless network service" That has a sign up fee of $39 and then $5.95 a month!

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

reply to nrobot80

said by nrobot80:

I agree with you 1000% IowaCowboy, keep in mind if Comcast charged an hourly rate to diagnosis a problem with a customers equipment then that's additional money need to train and certify the techs. When I first started as a tech in training class they showed us how to install/replace NIC cards in desktop computers. They told told us to stop doing that and just install USB drivers if that was the problem because so many techs were opening computers and frying motherboards. This also voided the warranties of most desktop computers. As I stated before most people that called in weren't tech savy. I once went to a home where the customer fried his brand new computer after he spilled water all over it. He said the cupholder (CD-ROM drive) went back into the machine. I swapped modems, billed the customer and was on my way to the next job. In an instance like that the customer should be billed just out of stupidity.

I totally agree. There should be a charge for service calls out of pure stupidity. How can anyone be that stupid to use a CD-ROM drive as a cup holder of all things? I've heard of using CDs (especially the AOL variety) as coasters, but come on!

Also reminds me of the time I got cable back in 2004. The rig I had at the time didn't have a NIC card and I was fully prepared to use USB drivers, but the techs they sent installed one for me, professionally and it all worked. Took the whole job about 3 hours from start to finish, but by the time they left, everything worked and I was VERY happy. Techs that well trained are a lost art these days. I got one just a few weeks ago that was lying his ass off and was just here for the check. So poorly trained, I wanted to drop kick him from my home.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by Chris 313:

Also reminds me of the time I got cable back in 2004. The rig I had at the time didn't have a NIC card and I was fully prepared to use USB drivers, but the techs they sent installed one for me, professionally and it all worked. Took the whole job about 3 hours from start to finish, but by the time they left, everything worked and I was VERY happy. Techs that well trained are a lost art these days. I got one just a few weeks ago that was lying his ass off and was just here for the check. So poorly trained, I wanted to drop kick him from my home.

I have no idea how well trained that last tech was, but he may have simply been restrained by company policy and/or contract terms from providing any kind of service that was not explicitly covered in the work order for that job.

I have done contract work for many different OEMs, VARs, and ISPs (not Comcast, however), and for those jobs I was almost invariably explicitly forbidden to provide any services whatsoever that were not in writing on the work order for that job. I would often feel quite badly at having to leave a customer who was still having problems, but I really had no choice if I expected to ever get work from that particular vendor or service provider again.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by NetFixer:

said by Chris 313:

I have no idea how well trained that last tech was, but he may have simply been restrained by company policy and/or contract terms from providing any kind of service that was not explicitly covered in the work order for that job.

I have done contract work for many different OEMs, VARs, and ISPs (not Comcast, however), and for those jobs I was almost invariably explicitly forbidden to provide any services whatsoever that were not in writing on the work order for that job. I would often feel quite badly at having to leave a customer who was still having problems, but I really had no choice if I expected to ever get work from that particular vendor or service provider again.

Well, he was just here for a modem swap (potentially a gateway model as is being talked about here. Though it turned out just to be a regular EMTA), that wasn't in the order or so he said. Install CDV was what it was, when I had it since Mid 2008. He also had my order wrong or so he said. It was set for 8/2 vs the 16/2 I had for a year then. (Upgraded to 25/4 which was why I was needing the swap. I found out he was lying to me equipment wise (Said he only had D2 installs in his truck and swapping mine out would make no difference. It does when you have the right equipment to get the speed you pay for.)

I had to beg and argue with him to get him to make the call, at which time he just carries in a ARRIS 722G EMTA, no packaging or cables. Where did he get that modem from if all he had was D2 versions? He also called it a Business Class modem, fed me lines about "up to" verbage (When I have the right equipment, I've always gotten mine. 27.5/4.4+ now) Not being able to help me if I got lower speeds (Lies) And the end, he turned around and says if I have any problems, to call in. Huh? What did he say about not being able to help me with lower speeds 10 minutes ago?

One thing that burned me was during the install, if you could call it that, I caught him screwing with my router, which wasn't even hooked up, and for his benefit. I thought that they weren't supposed to do that? Just direct connect modem device and computer, make sure it works and then go?

Now you can see why I wanted to drop kick him from my home. A install that should have taken 10 minutes ended up like 30 or more.