how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gjkiii

join:2010-12-02
Los Angeles, CA

Upload speed is this normal?

I recently upgraded to 35/35. My download speed is great. I only get 35 on the upload when my virus protection program (kaspersky) is disabled. When its functioning it drops to around 20. Is that normal? Thank you.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Normal in that its your crappy AV program causing the issue, than yes, nothing to do with your FIOS

gjkiii

Los Angeles, CA
is there a better program that will not do this?

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
reply to gjkiii
Sure, Windows Security Essentials , and its free.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
said by guppy_fish:

Sure, Windows Security Essentials , and its free.

+1

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric
Just a note that Windows Security Essentials is strictly a malware scanner, and is intended to be paired with Windows Firewall. Since many people disable Windows Firewall, or have other programs that may disable it, you may want to turn it back on if you want that level of security on your network.

Also, if running Windows 8, Security Essentials is actually part of the operating system, and is combined with Windows Firewall and called Windows Defender.

I'll also note that I use this on all of my computers too.

gjkiii

Los Angeles, CA
reply to guppy_fish
Thank you...I will try it...

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
reply to gjkiii
It's been a long time since I've had Kaspersky on my machines but what's happening is that it is inspecting everything outgoing for a virus signature. If you don't particularly care whether, or know that, what you're sending out is clean, you can (probably) shut down just the outgoing scans in Kas and get your U/L speed back.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to gjkiii
AVG offers a solid anti virus program for free.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
That kaspersky issue has been known for awhile. Not sure why it hates fios, it's a big mystery to us.

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
reply to gjkiii
I'd try eset. Works great for me!

»go.eset.com/r/87ZXX