IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

MacBook Pro now or wait till June?

Hi,
I am finally getting around to have the funds by hopefully March to be able to purchase my Mac Book Pro. I am however afraid because I hear they may go all retina in July per Macrumors.com. I don't want to spend 2,500 on a system and have it be old. However, I fear they may nix the DVD drive and that is important to me as a photographer/video person for my church. What to do??

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

If you need a DVD drive, get a refurbished MacBook Pro. All of the refurbs I have purchased from the Apple online store have been in as-new condition and they all carry the same as-new warranty.

You could probably get a nice 17" for the price of a moderately optioned or even low end 15" retina.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

+1

gwheatleyoc
Premium
join:2012-02-24
Oak Creek, WI
reply to IowaMan

How important is the Retina Display to you? Is the DVD drive more important. I use my Macbook Pro connected to a couple of external monitors most of the time so I don't miss having a Retina display.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to IowaMan

said by IowaMan:

I don't want to spend 2,500 on a system and have it be old.

No matter what you do, the minute you take it out of the box, it'll be old. If you need a computer now, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait. Simple as that. If you keep saying you'll wait for the next revision, you'll never buy anything.

Also, unless you're planning to use the DVD drive on the go very often, there's no reason you couldn't get a Retina MBP and use a USB DVD burner.

Personally, I'd follow the advice above - get a refurb MBP. I love my 15" MBP, but if you intend to move around with it a lot, get the 13".
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
reply to IowaMan

I don't miss the DVD that's not in my MBPr 13"...and I have a portable (bought so I could load some things on my kids' netbooks) if I ever did need to use one. The weight savings is meaningful if portability is part of your needs.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to gwheatleyoc

I guess I like the "conventional laptop" where you can upgrade RAM and HD as needed. I may get a 2012 Non-Retna, BUT, Where can I get the Glossy 1680? and Is the 2.7Ghz really that much better then a 2.6Ghz? I'd like to save as much $ as possible. Also, 7200 rpm HD as well as I here that the 5400 RPM's aren't that good

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

HD's are cheap so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. As for glossy vs matte, if you are referring to the refurbished units you simply have to wait to get the model you want.

not

@comcast.net
reply to IowaMan

said by IowaMan:

I guess I like the "conventional laptop" where you can upgrade RAM and HD as needed. I may get a 2012 Non-Retna, BUT, Where can I get the Glossy 1680? and Is the 2.7Ghz really that much better then a 2.6Ghz? I'd like to save as much $ as possible. Also, 7200 rpm HD as well as I here that the 5400 RPM's aren't that good

Do yourself a favor and just get whatever HD comes in it and make due with that until you can spend another $300-$500 on a nice SSD. The money you save by not upgrading to a 7200RPM drive can go towards the SSD which will use less power and also be way faster than the 7200RPM drive will ever be. Memory is also cheap, so don't worry about paying for that from Apple either, although most 2012 models (top CPU spec'd ones) come with 8GB anyway, which Apple states is the max. However, 16GB works in these units just fine.