All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected

Anon

[rant] is it possible to get dry DSL with no dial tone?

my wife and I are thinking of dropping our landline service, if we can keep our DSL service, to save money. The money saved would make it possible for us to afford a monthly plan with boost mobile. However, we will also have to invest in a Wilson signal booster in order to get a usable signal in the house.I have read conflicting reports about whether AT&T will allow dry pair DSL. What is the latest on this matter.?

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

I believe what you want is naked DSL. Im 99.9% sure they are still providing this.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

1 edit

David to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
One thing to keep in mind with dry loop DSL.

While yes you do save money. Don't get me wrong I think it's a novel idea. I support it to the full end of the word. However, and keep in mind, if you are pretty far away from the office, or remote terminal it's better to keep a basic POTS plus DSL. Reason being is for some reason on farther out loops it seems the POTS plus DSL lines are fairing better than the regular dry loop dsl lines. I don't know what it is or why and part of me thinks it might have something to do with the POTS power being on the line, kind of like a carrier.

I have for some change entire DSLAMs, entire ports, entire office wiring, and in the end it seems to come down to the same answer in the end.... it worked better with pots plus DSL. Ironically the minute they order a cheap phone line and line-share with it, it magically starts working again. I also notice these loops when it comes back requires less power as well. One example, that dsl was using 25.5db of power for the entire profile and the best it would achieve was 1480. The minute they put a lifeline line-share on it, Power literally dropped in 1/2 and it was getting full 1536 speeds. This guy I moved him to two different DSLAMs in the office, I lost count on the cable pair changes. Changed every last jumper wire between him and the remote, replaced the drop and had his entire nid and all replaced. Had his modem replaced, had his cords replaced. In the end..... a lineshare and I haven't heard from them since march of this year. They have had no other DSL tickets since that small change.

Only working theory I can think of as to why it works: The POTS signaling is the carrier for the DSL on the longer loops. Something ADSL2/VDSL2 doesn't have to have as they have more bits per channel.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected

Anon

David, thanks for that explanation. I had not considered that dry DSL might not work as well, except that perhaps the telco is annoyed at the request and might purposely degrade the service in some areas.
At any rate, there's not much of anything left to trim in terms of expenses, except the phone bill. We are on a RT here, so your comments worry me in this regard.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
if nothing else send me an IM (click on my name on the left and email the address there at that link) or post in the direct forum. Least then if we check it we can give you a good idea. Do keep in mind if it doesn't work the same as dry loop, Pots plus dsl would be the easiest.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
Beware Boost in that the signal is pure Sprint "home" service- no service on any Verizon towers as is the norm between the two carriers for most users of either.

Can you get a viable Verizon signal where you are?
If yes
»www.pagepluscellular.com ··· ans.aspx