spc
uniqs
peg645
join:2012-07-31
Cherry Valley, NY

peg645 to Lonely

to Lonely

Re: Gen4 -or- Excede

Boy, you are all definitely tempting me...

Several chats w/ Hughesnet CS this week, including one today with Brownsville. They're sending out a tech "for free". Since 1/1 I've had almost no service from 10am til evening (unless it's right after I have one of those longggg talks). Can't tell me it's not traffic/overloaded equipment/changes to accommodate Gen4.

Long ago out of contract. Hate signing up for another since I may move within the year, but have thought this for the past 5.

Looking at the Exede page now...do you believe that I, a Hughesnet customer, can't seem to open the page to check availability for my zipcode? Am instructed to call them...

Just starting a small business, doing all my marketing/website work right now. Can't imagine being ready to go and hearing any more excuses.

Neonjohn - appreciate all the groundwork you've done ahead of time. Hoping to hear how you've fared.

Ex Gen4 pers
@suddenlink.net

Ex Gen4 pers

Anon

I had Gen 4 and now have Exede. It's wonderful. They can say they will fix it but they never do. They may fix your problem for a little while but it will be back. Believe me I know.
neonjohn
join:2013-01-06

neonjohn to peg645

to peg645
said by peg645:

Boy,
Neonjohn - appreciate all the groundwork you've done ahead of time. Hoping to hear how you've fared.

---------
You're most welcome.

My situation has a sad outcome - No shot at that the Exede bird without extensive tree cutting on other people's properties. So it's Hughesnet for me.

The installer was very nice and was very experienced (starting installing satellite receivers in the C-band days). He handed me his az-el instrument and let me sight for myself. From anywhere on my property all I stared at was tree trunks.

The GOOD news is that my next door neighbor has a perfect shot at the bird. I got the installer to survey her site while he was here. Just a pole install on the hill behind her cabin and she's set. I'll test her setup after it's installed and report back.

I asked the installer several questions regarding issues that have come up here.

The cost of setting an Exede post is $49.95.

The pole that comes from his distributor does NOT have any sort of anti-rotation augmentation.

There is supposed to be no charge for up to 100 ft of coax run, though many installers try to slip in that charge.

As a different installer is doing my neighbor's install today, this guy stressed over and over never to pay the installer. Exede bills the proper amount from what the installer reports back.

Tipping is appreciated and is permitted. I tipped this guy for walking over to the neighbor's house to do the survey.

On the good side with Hughesnet, I have gotten executive-level attention from my posts here and on the Hughesnet. I've been promised that fixing the port 80 problem will be one of their highest engineering priorities. So there's reason for hope.
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Does that mean you are out of the running for Gen4 too? I mean aren't both the birds in about the same location in space?
viasatguy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA

viasatguy to neonjohn

Premium Member

to neonjohn
ViaSat-1 is at 115.1 West longitude.

Echostar XVII is at 107.1 West longitude.

So the Echo/Hughes bird is 8 degrees further to the East. Might be enough for you, might not.

Best of luck and sorry it didn't work out.