spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mendinfences

join:2012-12-05

Jetpack Settings - Multiple Devices

Without the directional antenna, all devices get relatively good speed but the connection will not stay on 4g or even 3g.

Hooked up to the directional today. The desktop closest to the antenna gets lightning speeds. The iPad in the room gets great speeds. The further from the Jetpack, the worse the speeds and I mean ... pretty much unusable.

Are there settings somewhere that I should be looking at? We are not talking about a big house at all but there are walls and probably other interferences.

Thanks ......... again.

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

Might need to look into a cradlepoint router and do wifi as wan. The jetpacks aren't designed to provide whole house coverage. Typical coverage is around 50-100' I think.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to mendinfences

Maybe try changing the channel from auto to a number and test each one? Or move the mifi farther away from the antenna? Don't know how long the cord is for you. Don't know if either of those will help or not.

mendinfences

reply to mendinfences

Thanks for the ideas.

I suppose I am just uneducated but I am truly confused as to why I would use a cradlepoint router (JUST returned one when the sprint and stick didn't work) since the Jetpack is a MiFi/hotspot device. Apologize for my ignorance on this. Feel free to enlighten.

I CAN move it further from the antenna by about 8 - 10 feet (thanks for the extra cabling, Gord).

I do know/think that multiple devices in use degrades the speed of all. We are playing around with locations and such. I do not want my poor husband to move the antenna pole unless we really need to do it.

Thanks again. Appreciate any and all ideas!

~l

kevnich24

Mulberry, FL

You think the mifi puts out the same wireless power and signal that the higher powered cradlepoints do with their much better antennas? Mifis werent designed to provide wifi coverage for an entire house, only about 50 feet or so. For what you are needing, you would do better with a cradlepoint router. Unless you want to carry the mifi around your house all the time...

mendinfences

Dude, really? I clearly admitted my ignorance and only asked for some additional info.

So .... How does the MiFi work WITH a Cradlepoint? How is it connected or does it just transmit a wifi signal and the router re-transmits that?

Thanks.

(BTW, we are replacing a MiFi we've had through AT&T for the past several years and we've had excellent whole house service.)

kevnich24

Mulberry, FL

The newer cradlepoints have a feature called Wireless as WAN. Basically, it connects to the mifi's wireless and then all internet goes through that. So both devices need to be powered on and your computers only connect through the cradlepoint.

Another idea you may want to try, on a laptop download a program called inssider »www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Install it and run it and walk around with a laptop. It'll show you signal strength at various locations. It is possible the location you have it at now is just a bad location and moving it around a little may get you coverage over your entire house.

bodosom
Legerdemain
Premium
join:2004-03-05
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mendinfences

said by mendinfences:

How does the MiFi work WITH a Cradlepoint?

The underlying assumption for a wireless-to-wired gateway (or bridge) is presenting your wireless Internet connection to your existing wired network. If you don't want that then a wireless repeater may be a better (i.e. simpler) choice. I have no experience with Cradlepoint (I do have one on order) but building a wireless-to-wired bridge is tricky.

BTW, I have no idea why Cradlepoint felt the need to invent new and confusing terminology for a common function. Historically these devices were intended to connect a single wired computer (say an XBox) to your wireless network. The clever bit is making it work for multiple wired devices connecting to a wireless Internet gateway.

mendinfences

reply to mendinfences

Thank you for the explanation.

For now, we seem to be working with good coverage. Looks like hooking to the directional did stabilize the signal. Hope it all sticks.