how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

WNDR3700v4 and IPv6

Okay - I *finally* replaced my (apparently dying) WNR3500v1 with a new WNDR3700v4 - as far as IPv4 configuration, it was duck soup; literally seven minutes from a cold start. Now it's time to make sure that it isn't IPv6-hostile. There have been no new firmware updates since the initial release, so now it's a matter of rebooting the modem, then re-connecting the router. Wish me luck!

PGHammer

Accokeek, MD

1 recommendation

Okay - found the issue; while the router does indeed support IPv6 in the initial firmware, it is *disabled* by default (this has me doing major head-scratchage, as every OS I know of for PCs or Macs supports IPv6 directly) - go to Advanced Setup->IPv6->Auto Detect->Apply. That's it. Now my gigabit adapter has both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses (Windows 8 Pro x64 with Media Center).

Jeff Carrell

@charter.com
FYI...I find most "client" OS's do have IPv6 enabled by default, while most "infrastructure devices" have IPv6 disabled by default.

For the "in-between devices" like CPE or those used with/for CPE, in my very limited testing I have seen IPv6 disable by default.

I expect we will see the provider CPE gear "soon to" have IPv6 enabled by default, as they start supporting IPv6 and the equipment gets cycled through from older stock/OS to newer.

Thanx for the info!

My ISPs are ATT for DSL and Charter, both biz srvc...so far, neither support IPv6 for SMB....so sad...thank you tunnelbroker!!!

PGHammer

Accokeek, MD

1 recommendation

Exactly - hence the head-scratchage. IPv6 backstory - Microsoft Research started development of the dual-stack (IPv4/IPv6) feature of Windows way back during the development and testing of Windows 2000 Professional and Server; we're talking 1999 (as in the song by Prince). Said dual-stack went into production use with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (and Windows 2000 Service Pack 4/Windows Server 2003 R2/Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1). For all that, Windows was actually the last consumer OS to support dual-stack - Linux had supported it since the 2.4 kernels (and supports it today, of course), and OS X has supported it since (egad - it's been that long?) Tiger (OS X 14). CPE gear with IPv6 enabled by default is indeed coming into play - Comcast, in fact, has stipulated IPv6 (and DHCPv6) as a going-forward *requirement* in their CPE purchases (both STBs and cable modems) - the ARRIS WBM-760A is part of the requirement's first fruits - it specifically supports both. (The same is true of Motorola's SB-6xxx/SBG-6xxx series of cable modems and gateways.)