how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jtltke137

join:2009-02-28
reply to Joe Siegler

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

I was looking at my TWC Internet bill and saw that those thieving dirtbags at Time Warner Cable are now charging me $3.95 a month for the cable modem.

[sarcasm]I'm SHOCKED, JUST SHOCKED that TWC would increase my rates without telling me.[/sarcasm]

Since I don't want to give TWC any more money than I have to, I am considering purchasing my own cable modem. My current cable modem is a Motorola SB5101N and I am on the "Theoretical" 10/1 plan.

When looking online, it appears a comparable cable modem would run me around $50. However, it appears they are DOCSIS 2.0 modems.

I'm wondering if I should purchase a DOCSIS 3.0 model in case I need it in the future.

There are a number of Motorola cable modems out there. The Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem for $90 will provide Channel bonding of up to eight downstream channels and four upstream channels.

I'm sure someone on this forum has gone down this path before. I would appreciate hearing about their experiences.

Thanks.

jtltke137

join:2009-02-28
said by jtltke137:

I was looking at my TWC Internet bill and saw that those thieving dirtbags at Time Warner Cable are now charging me $3.95 a month for the cable modem....

After going through earlier posts, someone [Motorola870?] mentioned a compatibility list on the TWC website and here it is:

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···dem.html

The SB6141 is indeed on their list. I would still love to hear about anyone else's experience in buying their own cable modem.