[Speed] Slow peak time speeds - Elmhurst, NY

Encoded Mac: 38229393e0e68ca94a64f091e0c020d5b6844ee2
Downstream Limit: 53000000
Upstream Limit: 6300000
Return Frequency: 17200000
Forward Frequency: 693000000
Forward Modulation: qam256(4)
Ret Channel Width: 6.4Mhz

I'm subscribed to the 50/6 speed package (Internet only).
I recently worked out my kinks with the power level being way too low because of a -8db tap that was installed at the RCN drop. Well all that is history and my connection is good.

Now, I've got other problems. Speed. My speed during the speed never goes beyond 44mbps. Right now its about half of my provisioned speeds at about 25mbps. The only time I manage to get close to my provisioned speed is at 5AM.

Basically, between 4PM and 8PM on any weekday is the worst.
Ping times to DSLR are fine (between 8ms to 20ms).
Line Quality has no packet loss. Maybe a few spikes in times but nothing major.

Most speed tests have me averaging 20-25 mbps during this time period. I can eek out about 44 mbps outside this time range.

My modem connectivity is good.
Transmit Power: 42 dBmV
Forward Power: 3 dBmV
Forward SNR: 37.9 dB

Any ideas?

I'm in Elmhurst, NY.

thanks,
chiggy
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY

Anybody?

Slydoggy

@rcn.com
reply to cchhat01

U testing wired or wireless?????? Don't expect to get anywhere near 50mbps on wireless.

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..

said by Slydoggy :

U testing wired or wireless?????? Don't expect to get anywhere near 50mbps on wireless.

Testing wired.
Also I dont quite agree that wireless cannot give me 50+ mbps.
I run 802.11an in 40mhz spectrum which is capable of about 300 mbps. Did just fine when I had FiOS just a few weeks back.
I get my max speeds no matter which interface I connect to.
My problem is that the max isnt anywhere close to the actual 50 mbps i should be getting.

At the moment it seems like there is an outage in my area.
So cant do jack about my connection.

Chiggy
--

squirrel83
cheers

join:2005-05-02
Honolulu, HI
reply to cchhat01

I don't know what happened but all this month RCN has sucked. Speeds seem to be bogged down.

Expand your moderator at work

squirrel83
cheers

join:2005-05-02
Honolulu, HI
reply to squirrel83

Re: [Speed] Slow peak time speeds - Elmhurst, NY

yooo I just called they are sending a tech out wensday hopefully they fix my issue

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..

said by squirrel83:

yooo I just called they are sending a tech out wensday hopefully they fix my issue

Keep me posted.
I'm changing out my modem.
If they fix your issue, I'll have them service my block as well to see what the deal is.
Again, please keep me posted.

Thanks,
Chiggy
--

thecrisis

join:2006-01-13
Astoria, NY

On the 25/2 package - I've noticed very slow peak speeds this month as well in Astoria, Queens. Stange thing is that it's been only happening in the last couple weeks or so. Before then, rock solid 25/2 on my DOCSIS 3 modem.

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..

said by thecrisis:

On the 25/2 package - I've noticed very slow peak speeds this month as well in Astoria, Queens. Stange thing is that it's been only happening in the last couple weeks or so. Before then, rock solid 25/2 on my DOCSIS 3 modem.

Note sure why I'm not getting updates on this post but thats another story.
I have to agree that peak speeds have deteriorated on my 50/6 connection as well. However, when I was on 25/2 I didn't really care much of the speeds during peak time. I opted to continue my RCN connection for the month I had FiOS, just to see how stable FiOS was (It was blazing) and hence I ignored my RCN connection. I suspect things got worse during that time.
I had cancelled RCN near the end of the FiOS trial (well it wasn't a "trial" until verizon decided to cut my service off). But ended up going back to RCN for the 50/6 package and ever since, speeds have been nothing short of crap during peak times. Sometimes bordering close to 5-7 mbps between 8-9 pm. Upload seems to stay unaffected.

Hope they do something soon. I might just schedule a tech appt for a saturday to show them how bad things are. Any other day (meaning before 5pm) would just be normal so they won't "see" what "bad" speeds are.

KThxBye
--

I just had a tech at my house in Maspeth to check up on my speed issues. He swap the modems and splitters. Still no change. He had RCN test the line for static, which showed up. They will be returning on Friday to fix the line from the pole.

Also, the tech told me from Astoria to Middle Village are all having speed issues. RCN is having problems out of thier Woodside hub. Yet, phone support said they see no service issues on thier end.