uniqs
share rss forum feed

biggbrother
Premium
join:2001-11-07
Providence, RI
reply to biggbrother

Re: Upgraded to Quantum 50/25 But Still Need to Improve Wireless

So switching to a WiFi (N) AP, I won't see better performance over WiFI?

Here is another curious issues. I was frustrated tonight trying to watch YouTube on my tablet but still getting constant buffering, about every 10-5 seconds. I ran a SpeedTest and I am getting around 18 mbps download. So I figured it was YouTube being overloaded.

But then I decided to test something. I put my Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE on the couch and enabled mobile hotspot and connected my tablet to that instead. I loaded the same HQ YouTube videos over that LTE connection and I got absolutely no buffering. The video loaded quickly and had plenty of buffer. I ran a Speedtest and it was pulling down around 6mbps over LTE, so roughly 1/3 of my FIOS connetion, yet it loaded the videos fine.

So it seems that there is either a problem with my router or there is a problem between me and YouTube. I ran a trace last week and didn't see anything unusual. Any ideas?

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

said by biggbrother:

So it seems that there is either a problem with my router or there is a problem between me and YouTube. I ran a trace last week and didn't see anything unusual. Any ideas?

I thought it was known that YouTube intentionally throttles FIOS users. I've noticed it too, compared to my DSL and my friend's Comcast cable internet.