NOT
Premium
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

mutt email configuration

I don't know how you guys got stuck with me! lol

Just trying to learn new stuff... sorry if it's a bother!

Alright... as of right now, i want to learn Mutt. Thanks to home-brew, I was able to "brew install gpg"

I am not as ignorant as I was (which means it's sinking in... lol). I am following this tutorial »nixtricks.wordpress.com/2010/05/···ia-smtp/

which I get stuck as step 3. Anyone out there have a simple way or better tutorial about how to configure Mutt?

Any and all help is appreciated.

thanks!

nu
--
Why are you so surprised to see sinners in church? Are you shocked to see sick people in a hospital too?

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

2 edits
Step 1 is to create a file

Step 2 are commands to run on the terminal command line

Steps 3a-3h are to create a file and put those lines it in (not run them)

Step 4 are commands to run

Step 5 is to make another file

It's not clear at first that the author wants you to put all of the things in all of the step 3s into a single file saved as .muttrc -- is it possible you were trying to run them on the command line and had problems?

(Note: any file that ends with "rc" is a script that will get run automatically when the program name before the rc gets run. .muttrc, then, gets executed when mutt is launched. .bashrc gets executed automatically when you run bash, the default shell at the command prompt in OS X)

P.S. Learning the command line is great, but be aware doing it on a live system you want to be able to use for other things can be hazardous. For example, there is a huge difference between "rm -rf *~", which removes all of the annoying backup/temporary files emacs makes, like mytextfile.txt~, and "rm -rf * ~" which removes everything in the current folder and deletes your entire home directory immediately (no trash). Only difference is a single space. I learned this the hard way in college, and I was lucky enough to have an easygoing sysadmin who also kept regular backups.

The problem when you are learning is you don't really know what you're typing, so it's really hard to be aware when you're typing something that does something you don't want until it's too late.

I recommend getting a copy of parallels or fusion and installing ubuntu in a VM. Not only will you get access to a much wider variety of open source tools, you'll have a terminal prompt you can mess with as much as you want without hitting your 'real' system. Ubuntu is also pretty awesome, where if you type a command it doesn't understand, it will often say 'I think you meant this' or 'If you want that command, first install the package that installs it by typing this command instead'
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Steps 3a-3h are to create a file and put those lines it in (not run them)
... this is what kind of file? which app should i open to input that text? text edit?
--
Why are you so surprised to see sinners in church? Are you shocked to see sick people in a hospital too?

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
reply to nu2this
If you want to do it the hardcore way, use vi or emacs on the command line. Or nano.

Hint: C-x means hit control+x
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL
so i type it in Terminal... but save it as what file type? or just as .mutt or .muttrc?