how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis

join:2003-10-02

New PC hard drive problem - how would most vendors handle

2 Months ago ran out and got a new Win 7 fairly high end ASUS desktop. 2 days ago it booted and was nearly unresponsive so I tried a system file repair from Win7 recovery boot disk. After that it was a little better but still messed up.

Checked event viewer | windows | system log files and saw disk 7 and ntfs 55 errors which said to run dskchk, so i did - got 7 pages of errors when reviewing the log. Determined the hard drive was toast so I call ASUS and they won't let me return just the HD but said I have to return (at my expense) the whole PC.

I am frustrated the new Seagate green drive croaked and that ASUS won't let me send them the log file to vfy hard drive is bad.

Just wonder how many vendors would handle this the same way and make you ship a 2 month old PC back vs letting you return the drive in exchange for a new drive.

Another couple things that bugs me:

ASUS even told me that if I open the case it would void the warranty. I will try to delete my saved Firefox cookies and passwords booted but it I can't, I will definitely slave the drive a delete the docs and other privacy stuff I don't want them to have access to.

This was bought from Fry's and they won't service in house after 30 days but make you deal directly with vendor. Real nice they have a big shop but won't help you get a PC you bought fixed but send you to the vendor.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

My apologies for saying this if it angers, but this is one big reason most here BUILD their own systems. Sadly, most computer manufacturers I've dealt with treated me and my friends like criminals, literally. They suck.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Indy Sabre

I haven't had to deal with Asus support with a PC, but I have dealt with Dell and HP on parts replacements with both desktops and laptops. With Dell, it's pretty easy if the PC has diagnostics built-in and it spits out the appropriate code (it seems to catch hard drive issues pretty well). They overnight ship the replacement part with a return label for the faulty part. All of their PCs that I've worked on in the last several years have pre-boot diagnostic capabilities.

HP needed a bit more prodding/walls of text, but would usually do the same.

Sending in the whole desktop sounds a bit extreme. Have you called multiple times and talked to a different person?
--
KI6RIT

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Indy Sabre

Dell will send out a hdd on it's own unless an in home visit is required by somebody, and they outsource their 'technicians' so you could get some retard who will screw it up worse than it already was. At least in the past it was ok to open your case with Dell, they understand you might install other hardware. Dell even lets you keep the old hdd for a little bit to get the information off of it, before you have to send it back.

I've encountered a outsourced so called technician hired by Dell who couldn't correctly identify a pci-e x1 slot, and even powered on a motherboard without connecting all the power cables. The brand new system didn't work before their visit, and it sure as hell didn't work after their visit.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Indy Sabre

said by Indy Sabre:

ASUS even told me that if I open the case it would void the warranty.

Lolololol. That's just sad.

Have you asked the call be escalated and you talk to the tech's manager or call back and get a different person?

Maybe take to Twitter and tweet ASUS and call them out on forcing you to pay for shipping for the entire desktop when just the MHDD died.

Get some bad press on them and then ratchet up the pressure a notch or two.

This is why we all build our own.,.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Yeah, they really hate bad press, and those who know will avoid them if they can't even pull off their data before the exchange. Not being allowed to open the case is just stupid, and not just replacing the hdd is even dumber. Those who know would avoid Asus just for that policy.

I also have to say while I hate the special partitions for Dell's diagnostics, at least they are there, but it's stupid to put something so critical on the same hdd that could fail.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I really liked the ASUS zenbooks, and I had a higher opinion of the company. Perhaps it's an errant tech? Oh well, I doubt I will ever buy a preconfigured desktop again in my lifetime, so no love lost there.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Indy Sabre:

Lolololol. That's just sad.

..snip..

This is why we all build our own.,.

hehehe

you know what's even sadder, that warranty thing must be a standard ASUS support script line.. about three months ago I did a BIOS update to my server PC, which has a 6 month old ASUS motherboard - the update bricked the board, and being the board was still under warranty I contacted ASUS.

Mind you this was a system I put together myself..

ASUS wanted me to ship the entire computer to them - claiming it's necessary for warranty - after telling the "support tech" (I use that term loosely) that this was a self-built system, that the motherboard was bought stand-alone and was never part of any system until I put it in mine and all that I should need to do is send them the motherboard, I got the response that if I open up (the system I built myself) that will void the warranty.

This happened not once but with four different people, all insist removing the motherboard (I installed) will void their warranty.

Needless to say I bought a new motherboard for the server - from MSI, and while my current main PC has an ASUS motherboard, when the time comes to replace that one it will not be an ASUS. I'm done dealing with idiots.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

1 recommendation

Looks like I should avoid asus on my next build if they really are going to be that incompetent that I can't remove a few plugs, and screws to send back the bad board.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

That's unfortunate, as they own most of the mobo market, and I believe have been looking into acquiring Asrock.

My top three favorites for quality have been Asus, Asrock, and EVGA. I guess I need to look at MSI and Gigabyte's offerings to see who replaces ASUS in my book.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Indy Sabre

said by Indy Sabre:

I guess Asus don't want people cleaning the inside of their PCs out huh?

Makes total sense.

berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok

I RMA'ed an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen 3 and they sent back a functional board, ok, but with the BIOS of an older board, locking me out of the PCIe 3 capabilities, at least. »[motherboard] P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 no video after reboot

Once escalated in the phone process to a smart guy, he seemed pretty reasonable about requesting a proper chip be shipped to me, free of charge. Near as I can tell "BIOS Lady", presumably the lead on the department that installed the wrong BIOS, rejected the request.

The upper level techs pushed back and I got the chip, finally. If there is an opportunity to escalate in the RMA system, that might get a better result.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Indy Sabre

I have a year old Asus notebook.
It had a display issue, even during post.

During my call for an RMA #, I requested permission to remove the HDD for privacy reasons, as it obviously wasn't related to the issue.
The CSR replied that this would be no problem, and made a note in the case.

I took it into the service depot in person, dropped it off, picked it up fixed, no questions asked.

In your case, you may be able to RMA the HDD direct with Seagate. Try punching in the s/n online.

--
The talented hawk speaks French.