[XPHome] New Nvidia 310 driver BSOD

System Spec:

• Dual Boot XPX32 and W7X64 fully patched
• ASUS P5E3-WS-Pro no built in graphics
• E8600 Dual Core
• Nvidia GTX 295
•Bios American Megatrends Inc. 0803
•check disc does not find anything interesting on XP partition
•Event viewer indicates a lot of drivers failed to load.

The New Nvidia 310.90 32 bit driver for XP will BSOD after each reboot. It is not possible to roll back the drivers in safe mode but system restore will get me back to the old 270 driver I was successfully running before. I also have a 24 hour old image available if necessary. Tried to install twice with two different downloads.

The Nvidia 310.90 64 bit driver for W7X64 installed and runs fine. That would rule out a bad card or slot.

Google did not turn up anything useful. Any ideas? Did I miss something?

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
The crash results:

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 1/10/2013 9:15:29 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini011013-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0x3AF20)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD04CF20, 0xFFFFFFFFAC5631B0, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.sys .
Google query: nv4_disp.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

One crash dump has been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nv4_disp.sys

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Are you overclocking anything in the BIOS?

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
reply to dsilvers
Also, the process that crashed was the nvcplui.exe (NVIDIA Control Panel Application).

If that is the process that is consistently crashing try configuring a "clean boot" and then install the drivers - follow Steps 1 to 3 only under Method 2 in the following link:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

If that solves the error the you would have to look at what loads at a Normal Startup and what might possibly be interfering with the nvcplui.exe.

dsilvers

join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX
Click for full size
Clicking the Nvidia icon in the taskbar gets the above exception.

said by aguen :
Are you overclocking anything in the BIOS?

Nothing clocked. All voltages and timings are standard for the CPU. Temperatures for CPU, GPU and drives are within range.

said by auggy :
If that is the process that is consistently crashing try configuring a "clean boot" and then install the drivers

Installed the new drivers while in clean boot and rebooted while still in clean boot. Then went to Nvidia control panel to get dual monitors working and clicked on enable all monitors...BSOD. Everything works so long as I don't try to enable both monitors.

I don't often update graphics drivers unless I am experiencing problems but the new driver addresses a security issue »Nvidia driver exploit allows super user escalation. Nvidia is probably no longer interested in supporting dual monitors in XP. Works fine for W7X64 but not XP.

Unless someone has another idea I will revert back to the 270. drivers to get the dual monitors back.

Auggy, thanks for looking at this. Your expertise and willingness to help with problems is most appreciated.

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON
There are some other users reporting issues with the 310.90 driver as there are some threads with issues on the GeForce Drivers forum:

»forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/

Consider reporting your issue to NVIDIA as a bug:

»nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/app/a···I3Z2w%3D

One thing you could try, if you have not already, and it may not help, is to "custom install" the drivers and choose "Perform a clean installation".

Also, there may be an upcoming update to the 310.90 drivers with various bug fixes.

dsilvers

join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX
said by auggy :
One thing you could try, if you have not already, and it may not help, is to "custom install" the drivers and choose "Perform a clean installation".

Yahoooo! That worked. Thanks Auggy. I owe your a beer.

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON
That's great!

Thanks for the follow-up.