uniqs
jcondon
join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

jcondon to MxxCon

to MxxCon

Re: [Internet] [OOL] Problem with xbox live for about 4 months

said by MxxCon:

You don't need to forward port 53. Your devices make OUTGOING connections TO port 53. Virtually all consumer routers do not restrict outgoing connections.

I think they want to be able to directly connect to their DNS server. I was forcing everything to OpenDNS for like a year and had no real issues. Now my XBox360 can make DNS requests to whatever DNS server MS wants. Port 80 would also be open on most networks. Unless some sort of proxy filter was in place.

»support.xbox.com/en-US/x ··· box-live

»portforward.com/english/ ··· s_II.htm

Anyway this doesn't sound like the OPs issue anyway.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by jcondon:

I think they want to be able to directly connect to their DNS server. I was forcing everything to OpenDNS for like a year and had no real issues. Now my XBox360 can make DNS requests to whatever DNS server MS wants. Port 80 would also be open on most networks. Unless some sort of proxy filter was in place.

wow...I'm surprised that Microsoft is giving out such super wrong instructions. Why the hell would they want you to allow INCOMING connections to your xbox on DNS and HTTP ports?! xbox does not run DNS or HTTP servers! You being able to talk to THEIR SERVICES does not require you allowing INCOMING connections to these ports. Whoever wrote those instructions does not understand the very basics of networking! Wow.

Anorexorcist
Premium Member
join:2005-08-21
Stamford, CT

Anorexorcist

Premium Member

am I missing something...but where does MS specifically state these "super wrong instructions"?
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to jcondon

to jcondon
said by jcondon:

Anyway this doesn't sound like the OPs issue anyway.

The page is imprecise in the sense that it doesn't explicitly state that traffic to these ports must be working for OUTBOUND connections to the Internet, and NOT inbound forwarded ports - the fact that the page mentions router port forwarding makes this even worse, so yes: no kudos to Microsoft for this one, the page sucks.

XBL wouldn't work in probably 98% of all cases if XBOX-Live truly required direct INBOUND access to ports 53 and 80 to the XBOX itself. Not a network administrator (the one at school/work they mention on the page in such scholarly, pass-the-blame manner) in the world is going to make that happen, the majority of all end-user devices in the world are behind NAT, or even behind double-NAT (that's a particular troublesome scenario for XBOX).

The OP has stated multiple times that he has bypassed his router by hooking up his XBOX directly to the cable modem - so none of the router-centric discussions here are relevant, and all speculation about them should stop.

OP: you'll need more information, and nothing is easy from this point forward: the only way is to sniff the traffic between your XBOX and the rest of the network. Hook up a legacy ethernet hub (hard to find, even borrow these days) between your XBOX and the rest of the network (home router, or if bypassed, the cable modem), and put a PC/laptop with Wireshark on one of the other ports.
Record traffic. Analyze where the majority of the traffic is going (XBL gaming server? PS3 traffic is very much peer-to-peer) , and whether that traffic dies (becomes one-way, with your XBOX sending, but not getting anything back, or only getting traffic back with delays) when you experience your latency issues.

Post the XBL gaming server IPs here, if you will, so other people can take a look how much latency or reachability issues exist with them.

Pickle
@oneeighty.com

Pickle

Anon

If your problem is with primarily with Black Ops 2 then you may actually suffer from having too good of a connection. BO2 uses something call lag compensation in an effort to level the playing field in multiplayer matches which basically means they introduce artificial lag to the better connections so the lesser connections can be competitive. This isn't something new to this title but they made some changes their match making process on this game and it appears that they are penalizing the better connections too much. I suggest you google "Black Ops 2 Lag Compensation" to get a better understanding of the issues. You'll come accross tons of different fixes some of which may help a little bit and some that won't. Here's a few that helped me.

Set your in game search preferences to "Best"

If you play on an HDTV look for a setting called "Game Mode" or something similiar as the HD Motion Smoothing will add some lag at your tv end.

If you are going to be connect to a Router set you port forwarding up for Black ops 2 and for xbox live. »portforward.com/english/ ··· s_II.htm
»portforward.com/english/ ··· _360.htm

Good Luck!

j sizzle
@optonline.net

j sizzle

Anon

what model tv are you using it could be input lag or the response time of the tv is high. couple be the turtle beach headset i know plenty of people with higher models than you that change the chat cables often.

could be you are just bad at cod. nhl always plays like shit like most ea sports games.