uniqs
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Guspaz

to Guspaz

Re: Netflix Super HD/Open Connect

said by Guspaz:

Unless it's changed since their announcement in 2010, Netflix uses Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3) for 5.1 and 7.1 audio. Dolby Digital Plus is not backwards compatible with Dolby Digital (AC-3). The Boxee does not list support for DD+, and it's unlikely to have enough processing power to decode such things in software like the PS3 could (the PS3's CPU is very slow for general-purpose stuff by today's standards, but it's still pretty fast at raw math stuff).

The Boxee Box supports AC3, E-AC3, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by 34764170:

That list does not match the one on Boxee's official website. You list two codecs which are not on Boxee's official list, and are missing multiple ones that are:

»support.boxee.tv/entries ··· -formats

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

said by 34764170:

That list does not match the one on Boxee's official website. You list two codecs which are not on Boxee's official list, and are missing multiple ones that are:

That's intersting, because I can confirm all the codecs he listed play on my boxee. Maybe, in some cases the sound system is decoding it, and it's just being passed through by the HDMI or optical cable?
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by 34764170:

My list came from what is listed as supported by the sound IP core of the Intel SoC. I was finally able to get my hands on some content with E-AC3, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio tracks and Boxee is able to downmix the tracks to 2 channel PCM for S/PDIF and non-passthrough HDMI; I knew they worked Ok with pass-through via HDMI.
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug

Are you sure you're not just playing the DTS core of DTS-HD:MA?
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Eug:

The more important part of the post was about being able to decode E-AC3 and TrueHD which are not backwards compatible with AC-3 unlike DTS-HD MA is for a DTS decoder.
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug

said by 34764170:

said by Eug:

The more important part of the post was about being able to decode E-AC3 and TrueHD which are not backwards compatible with AC-3 unlike DTS-HD MA is for a DTS decoder.

Boxee is known to support TrueHD already. Dunno about DD+, but I would have guessed it would if it already supported TrueHD.

So, aside from DD+, that only leaves DTS-HD:MA, and I would assume that Boxee only supports the DTS core of that, and not DTS-HD:MA per se.