Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to Cody0

Premium Member

to Cody0

Re: iphone kill switch? so you have to buy another?

oh and by the way

All electronics are designed to fail with in a year so you have to buy a new one

they would be out of business if that item lasted 10-15 years.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

said by Anonymous_:

oh and by the way

All electronics are designed to fail with in a year so you have to buy a new one

they would be out of business if that item lasted 10-15 years.

Sounds like your own self-fulfilling prophecy to me. I sold both my 3G and my 4 after 2 years of use, and both were still quite functional. I routinely get 3-4 years out of my laptops, and sell them while I can still get decent resale value out of them. The TV Im watching I've had for 15 years.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

The only "planned obsolescence" I can imagine is the cost of battery replacement (~$100 ?) versus the value of a 4-5 year old phone (assuming that's the life expectancy of the battery).
By the time the battery dies, it'd be cheaper to sign a new contract and get a discounted (or free) replacement.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

What a bunch of nonsense. Yeah, that's why at work we specifically run what's known as aging simulations to gauge the degradation of transistors over time. Because it makes sense to spend massive amounts of money on tools to check that things DON'T break down over time too much when you're purposely making it fail in a year.

I feel for your bad luck, I really do, but you're reaching big time here. They don't have to worry about "10-15 years", because at the rate technology moves, people will want to get new products anyway.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by pflog:

said by Anonymous_:

What a bunch of nonsense. Yeah, that's why at work we specifically run what's known as aging simulations to gauge the degradation of transistors over time. Because it makes sense to spend massive amounts of money on tools to check that things DON'T break down over time too much when you're purposely making it fail in a year.

I feel for your bad luck, I really do, but you're reaching big time here. They don't have to worry about "10-15 years", because at the rate technology moves, people will want to get new products anyway.

sorry even TVs do not last 20 years anymore.
average life is 1 to 2 years.

I have a TV from 1983 that still works it's 30 years old and still has excellent brightness/contrast
yes I do admit I updated to a CRT HDTV [Widescreen]

FYI HDTV IS NOTHING NEW it's been out for a while since the mid 1940's. the very limited bandwidth made it imposable to use at the time.

French 819-line system

electronics now days are made of poor quality components.

It's a cash cow for you to having to replace something.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Anonymous_:

said by pflog:

said by Anonymous_:

What a bunch of nonsense. [...]

You must buy utter crap. The HDTV we gave to my mom has been going strong for nearly 10 years. My HTPC (HP/Vista x86) has been running 7x24 for nearly 5 years.

I'm beginning to think you're a troll.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

On average, the life expectancy of an LCD TV is estimated at between 30,000 to 60,000 hours. A household that watches six hours a day of television can expect to replace the LCD TV unit after 28 years.

Read more: Life Expectancy of a LCD HDTV | eHow.com »www.ehow.com/about_63952 ··· HjqZbQBN

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by pflog:

said by Anonymous_:

I have a TV from 1983 that still works it's 30 years old and still has excellent brightness/contrast
yes I do admit I updated to a CRT HDTV [Widescreen]

FYI HDTV IS NOTHING NEW it's been out for a while since the mid 1940's. the very limited bandwidth made it imposable to use at the time.

French 819-line system

electronics now days are made of poor quality components.

It's a cash cow for you to having to replace something.

We have a JVC TV that is 20 years old and still works perfectly. My iPhone 3G was purchased when it first came out and still works perfectly, but I have upgraded to the 4s, which also still works and is still in use, and more recently the 5. The iPhone does not have a kill switch to render it useless so you have to upgrade.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 edit

haroldo to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

i originally posted in my first reply (to the bizarre notion of a kill switch) that this was the most absurd and preposterous post I've ever seen.
Out of decency, I edited the line out, but after seeing this reply, I'll add it back in...and repeat it for greater emphasis...

...that this was the most absurd and preposterous post I've ever seen....

What is your goal?
To get a rise out of the forum and see if you can create controversy or go to battle?
Are you bored and just like to joust or merely waste other people's time, many of whom voluntarily show up here and actually try to help legitimate users with real problems?
said by Anonymous_:

that this was the most absurd and preposterous post I've ever seen.

They should give an award for this category

Back on topic, I'll repeat my original question...did each of the failed iPhone owners bring their devices to the Apples Store for analysis of what happened? Until you know what caused each failure and know whether these were coincidental issues or not, the entire thread is a waste of everyone's time. For all we know the four friends went swimming with their phones in their pockets at the same time.
On behalf of all the volunteers here, if you want to continue discussing a legitimate question regarding an Apple product and seek assistance on a problem or discuss a real problem with the products, please provide the details as to why the phones failed.
Otherwise, please, no more ridiculous and bizarre assertions
said by Anonymous_:

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
I don't buy that for a second. While LEDs themselves have very long lives, the rest of the components are crap. You will have PS and cap failures, solder points break, stuck pixels...the TVs just don't last that long in reality. To get that life, every component in the TV has to have that life and that is simply not going to happen.
rextilleon
join:2003-12-28
Pleasantville, NY

rextilleon to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
Actually, the are not designed to fail. Electronics are meant to be upgraded--has nothing to with building them cheap to force people into buying new models.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

I'm beginning to think you're a troll.

DING, DING, DING